Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoors/outdoors/light/dark  (Read 530 times)

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
Indoors/outdoors/light/dark
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:45:11 am »

OK, I'm a bit confused by the various inside/outside statuses of tiles. Poking at the wiki/forum has led me to believe that:
1) Only tiles which show as Outside Light Above-Ground count for preventing cave adaptation, it's not enough to have channeled out the roof and replaced it so that it shows as Indoors Light Above-Ground (with glass or any other material).
2) Farm plots only care if they are Above-Ground or not for the purposes of whether they can grow outdoor plants or indoor ones, so it's ok to create "outdoor" farms by channelling through the roof and then rebuilding it with floor (with glass or any other material, though glass is the most realistic, naturally)

There appears to have been some disagreement in the past over whether this is accurate or not, but is this now true to the best of anyone's knowledge? And a third one I'm not sure of the answer to: if you set orders to "Dwarves stay inside", I know they will not enter tiles which are Outside Light Above-Ground, but what about tiles which have had their roof channeled out and built over, like the aforementioned 'outdoor' farm?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoors/outdoors/light/dark
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:55 pm »

(Related question - how fast does Cave Adaptation set in from the arrival of a dwarf, either immigrant or original 7? How fast does one need to get that sculpture garden going?

How much time is needed above ground for how much below?  Is a roofless corridor of a half dozen tiles in length at a chokepoint enough, or do they need to "idle/eat/break" in that area regularly?)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:54 pm »

Dwarves still won't touch the Inside-Light areas when Dwarves Stay Inside is on, I know this because my dwarves won't touch my roofed up siege engines during a siege. :/

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »

Dwarves still won't touch the Inside-Light areas when Dwarves Stay Inside is on, I know this because my dwarves won't touch my roofed up siege engines during a siege. :/

Seriously? :/ There goes my plan for a massive wall outside my fortress, covered in parapets and catapults. Unless maybe those catapults are too close to enemy siegers?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:44:14 pm »

Yeah...currently the only way to effectively use siege engines is to carve out a hole for them in the side of an existing mountain.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:17:32 pm »

Or to design your fort so they have very little reason to go outside, and set everything that drops on death to forbidden so they don't go racing to their deaths for that Narrow cave spider silk sock that they just have to have.  :P
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:44 pm »

Just drop a meeting zone outside in a safely walled off area.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.