Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gemcutting canceled  (Read 445 times)

Graylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gemcutting canceled
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:32 am »

I have a few gems in the stockpile, but when i try to cut gems i get:

"Jeweler cancels cut red grossular: needs red rough grosscular"

Edit: The jeweler just died of thirst, i think he somehow got stuck inside the workshop, i dunno why...
They wont take his body either, so something is wrong with it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:37:24 am by Graylord »

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gemcutting canceled
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:38:24 am »

Is the door forbidden or blocked by parts of the workshop?  It sounds like he couldn't get at or through the door, since a dwarf will drop pretty much anything else if they are thirsty.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Graylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:39:41 am »

I havent even added a door yet

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:49:55 am »

It sounds like the gem cutter trapped himself by building the workshop. You'll have to dig his body out if you want to bury it and deconstruct the shop.

Making rooms 5x5 or bigger for workshops prevents this sort of thing from happening.

Also, note: when constructing buildings, dark green Xs represent tiles that will be impassable to dwarves, while light green Xs represent tiles that allow passage.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:48 am »

Jeweler's workshops are notorious for this, as they have a whole side that's impassable.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Graylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:55:28 am »

Also, note: when constructing buildings, dark green Xs represent tiles that will be impassable to dwarves, while light green Xs represent tiles that allow passage.

Ah, the tutorial didnt explain that. This was my first fortress anyway, i think ill make start a new one now that i understand the game more.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:46:36 am »

The Wiki has little graphics under each workshop heading that show the "layout" of each workshop - very handy for avoiding this.