Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will magma ignite creatures through a floor grate?  (Read 677 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Will magma ignite creatures through a floor grate?
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »

I hate to post this because I'm sure it's been asked many times, but the Wiki and a forum search didn't turn up an answer.

If I have a layer of 7/7 magma covered with magma-proof floor grates on the z-level above, will creatures standing on the floor grates ignite?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Will magma ignite creatures through a floor grate?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »

nah

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »

Nope. They'll stand on the grates and not notice that there's magma underneath them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:20:46 pm »

Magma will only affect things in the same tile as the magma. This leads to odd occurrences like trees that are untouched by magma flows, because the tree acts as a wall. There was a thread awhile back from a guy who'd flooded the world with magma and then dumped water on the lot, to the effect that he was mining for wood (by digging through the obsidian to get to the trees embedded therein).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:52:56 am »

I've had issues though where dwarfs manually operating magma pumps have caught fire, so I'm not sure if magma is quite that benign.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:31 am »

Magma will only affect things in the same tile as the magma. This leads to odd occurrences like trees that are untouched by magma flows, because the tree acts as a wall. There was a thread awhile back from a guy who'd flooded the world with magma and then dumped water on the lot, to the effect that he was mining for wood (by digging through the obsidian to get to the trees embedded therein).

HOW DO I MINE FOR WOOD?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:58:52 am »

HOW DO I MINE FOR WOOD?

hahaha. anyway, I think that the objects that magma touches (and hence gives the "warm" attribute. eventually, it warms up to the point where things combust.  Unfortunately, dwarves cant' figure out "oh, this is getting a bit to warm.