Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Designs! Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall  (Read 5410 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designs! Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:29:29 pm »

That bridge repeater looks like it could be useful for draining oceans, if built on a larger scale for the half exposed to the water. Nice work!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »

For draining oceans I prefer either the lignite-in-a-bin trick or using a setup of 20 floodgates hooked to a lever set on repeat.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »

Or, since it's working again, a pressure plate close to the dining hall  ;D

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »

The repeater is very nice. You could put a pair of floodgates between the bridge and river to turn the system off and on and hook the repeater to upright spike traps to your entryway to handle elves sieges or on the way to HFS to handle HFS stuff. They appear to cycle slowly enough for that kind of application. If not, just widen the area between the bridges and adjust the placement of the pressure plates to slow the system down.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »

I actually just came up with another repeater, powered by dog!

Code: [Select]
X X walls, 1-wide corridor (connects to fort)
XDX door linked to plate 2
XDX door set to tightly shut
X1X creature-triggered pressure plate (i'm not sure if 'citizens trigger' is necessary but i turn it on anyway)
X2X "
XDX door set to tightly shut
XDX door linked to plate 1
X X (connects to fort)
build it, pit a tame animal from a channel above 1 or 2, and watch it go.
-dog falls on plate 1, southern door opens
-dog tries to escape south, steps on plate 2 (and is kept secure by the non-pet-passable door)
-southern door shuts, northern door opens
-dog tries to escape north, cycle repeats
ultra-easy to build, no special requirements (except a tame animal). unfortunately it does mean one unit constantly pathing, but still :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:37:18 pm by AncientEnemy »

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 08:01:30 pm »

So this is my fortress complete with goblincinerator.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5258-dwarfheavenwithgoblincinerator
I thought I got really lucky since the second I finished building the goblincinerator a seige arrived. I was getting ready to test it out on a large number of gobbos, however 1 of my wrestler champions, armed with a hammer, just spied a goblin and promptly ran in and started smacking the 2/3 squads of swords and wrestler goblins  like there was no tommorow. He managed to destroy the whole seige without being scratched - damnit... i guess
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating switch (and other devices)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 07:32:28 am »

made a cross section diagram of my waterfall, dunno if it's clear enough though:

I wonder. If you put a pressure plate on the bottom of that blue cell, will this design work as a high-frequency autorepeater as well?

Because if it will work, then you get an entirely new level of control over ticking frequency. Unlike all other autorepeaters, this one will generate an event exactly every 4 ticks (2 ticks to pump the water and 2 ticks for the water to drop down to starting position) and can be modified to generate ticks at almost arbitrary set of intervals.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:49:11 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:52 am »

made a cross section diagram of my waterfall, dunno if it's clear enough though:

this is so good i added it to the wiki. hope you don't mind.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 09:36:32 am »

Because if it will work, then you get an entirely new level of control over ticking frequency. Unlike all other autorepeaters, this one will generate an event exactly every 4 ticks (2 ticks to pump the water and 2 ticks for the water to drop down to starting position) and can be modified to generate ticks at almost arbitrary set of intervals.
The thought is noble (not as in: "you are going to be drowned in magma, now stop complaining and pull that lever") but I think the execution will flip you the bird.

Delay between the stuff linked up to the plate and the plate itself will render your finely tuned rhythym useless. Again, for stuff like this, just put a civilian activated pressure plate in a well frequented area. Unless you go for stylepoints.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

as long as the delay is consistent then it shouldn't really matter (that is, if i understand the delay right: all signals are delayed by 100 ticks, no signal is lost if it changes before the previous signal has reached its destination - is that about right?).
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:12 am »

I dont know, it's hard to tell. In game it looks as if delay can vary a bit, but that might as well be because the game slows down and speeds up from time to time.

Either way, even if it is right, you still have the problem that you have to reach the end of the delay cycle just right , probably limiting the available rhythyms.

If it would work... I can see how one could build a sequencer/drumcomputer/wotstsname in DF. You'd still have to read out some output tiles and transform them into sounds, but wtf thats cool  ;D

edit:
I just got up, I'm not awake enough to look at the maths, but you have to avoid going out of sync AND making the spacing you want work. I'm not sure with how many available rhythyms you're left then, but I figure it's only a few, since you want at least 2/7 water in the system, and even then it will be a pita because of evaporation. So you can probably more realistically work with 4/7 - 7/7.

And yet again, evaporation will fuck everything up real good.

edit: but here comes an idea... if you work with a system that uses pressure plates and hatchcovers BETWEEN the pumps, you can, to a certain extent, control how many pumps the water has to pass before it is allowed to fall down. Setting the PPs between the pumps to only open once a tile is full with water can probably really create a fixed pace for the "water-bits".

I'll try to think about it...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:56:38 am by Puck »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:50 am »

in any case it should be more than enough for an execution chamber with upright spikes. woo the merchant prince with an enchanting waterfall that kills his caravans.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:57:47 am »

for something like that, a machine that really only needs fastish repeating, just put a civilian activated pressure plate in front of some food/booze stockpile.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:18 pm »

as long as the delay is consistent then it shouldn't really matter (that is, if i understand the delay right: all signals are delayed by 100 ticks, no signal is lost if it changes before the previous signal has reached its destination - is that about right?).
err, no. signals are sent instantly (well, the instant the device updates, sometimes pressure plates take a bit to switch from on to off), and signals often get ignored. any time a device sends two back-to-back signals to a device with a delay (like a floodgate), only the first occurs. (pulling a lever twice back to back will only open a floodgate, not open and then shut it)
Pages: 1 [2]