Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Designs! Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall  (Read 5414 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Designs! Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »

Figured someone might find this useful, just a design for a simple device to send on/off messages over and over:

Code: [Select]
~~XXX XXX
~~XXXWXXX
~~CbB1BbX
~~CbB2BbX
~~XXXXXXX
~~XXXXXXX

~ Brook or River
X Wall
W Constructed wall (access during construction)
C channel these tiles from above after it's all set up

bB Bridge, raises to right
Bb Bridge, raises to left, hook this up to a lever and raise it before letting the river in
1 Pressure plate 7-7 linked to bB (and any devices you want to repeat)
2 Pressure plate 0-6 linked to Bb (and devices you want to repeat on an opposite cycle to 1)

once it's all set up, you connect it to the river.
- both pressure plates fill to 7/7
- bB raises and cuts it off from the river
- Bb lowers, crushing any water behind it, and lets the water on the plates drop below 7/7
- Bb raises again, crushes the water on it's raised tiles
- bB lowers, river flows in, cycle repeates

I've had this going for over a year now with no problems

- isn't susceptible to the 'splashing water screws up pressure plates' thing (i'm pretty sure) since when it's open to the river the water can only raise, and when it's open to the 'drain' side the water can only go down from 7/7
- doesn't require a drainage system since the second bridge smashes half the water in the room whenever it switches
- small, shouldn't affect FPS significantly since only a coulple tiles of water flow every couple seconds
- won't get gummed up by objects since the bridges will just smash them

optionally you could add another bridge or a couple floodgates to seal it off from the river so you can add/change what's hooked up to it after the initial setup.

Movie of it in operation here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1218-automaticswitch
I think the tiles look weird because I use a graphics pack, and the one in the video is oriented 90* versus my diagram here, but the idea is the same.

when you set it up, try to make it so your access tunnel is on the west or the north, i had to sacrifice a dwarf to build the wall closing it off (since I couldn't build a 'suspended wall' on top of the pressure plates so he wouldn't stand there)

If anyone else has neat little mechanical setups, post em here :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:11:40 am by AncientEnemy »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating switch (and other devices)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »

I also finished my Micro Water Fall:

Code: (Z-1 (below)) [Select]
XXXXXX X walls
X+XXXX + floor
XXXXXX
Code: (Z 0 (mist comes out here)) [Select]
+++XXX
+o->+X open space, -> screwpump
+++XXX
Code: (Z+1) [Select]
XXX+++
Xo<-o+ <- hanging screwpump
XXX+++
Code: (Z+2 (optional windmill power)) [Select]
+mmm.. hanging windmill (or gears linking to another power source)
+mmm.. works on maps with weak wind too (only 20 total power needed)
+mmm..

just fill the 1x1 space on the bottom with 7/7 water (using buckets), and build the windmill (or hook it up to another power source. one 7/7 tile cycling through the system will last for months (possibly years) before it evaporates, and still produces quite alot of mist. since there's never more than enough water to fill 1 tile in the system, it can't overflow, or in my testing even muddy any of the floors around it. I prefer -not- to build a grate over the open space, so A) there's no mud in the middle and B) dwarves won't bother me with 'xxx cancelled; dangerous terrain'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:23:19 pm by AncientEnemy »

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:45 pm »

when you set it up, try to make it so your access tunnel is on the west or the north, i had to sacrifice a dwarf to build the wall closing it off (since I couldn't build a 'suspended wall' on top of the pressure plates so he wouldn't stand there)

That's why I use locked doors for these sorts of things. Much less micromanagement. Still a nifty design, though.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:13:56 pm »

That's why I use locked doors for these sorts of things. Much less micromanagement. Still a nifty design, though.

right, right. I'm so used to dealing with magma (where an open door = doom) I forget about using doors for this sort of thing

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »

made a cross section diagram of my waterfall, dunno if it's clear enough though:

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »

Those designs are pretty ingenious. The bridge repeater thing, especially. That's a lot less complicated than some of the other repeater designs out there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:33 am »

no one wants to share their cool designs? :(

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designs! Repeating switch, Mini-waterfall
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:42 am »

Mine aren't cool enough :(
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:01:01 am »

Well, since the OP wants to see mechanical designs, my former fortress of Waterguards was built to test my idea for an automated drowning chamber. I even made a video of its ambush. The first test didn't go too well, but the chamber worked.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4406-waterguards

The above link has a ton of POIs explaining the design. In any case, another player took inspiration and built a more reliable drowning chamber by rearranging the mechanisms into a horizontal configuration.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19:05 am »

When i finish my auto goblin incineration device ill post my fortress. But it isnt anything massiveley spectacular.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:29:29 am »

Does it innvolve Magma?

then its awesome.

Does it innvolve Booze?

then its MORE awesome.

Does it innvolve a living creature?

Then its MORE DOUBLY awesome.

Does it innvolve water?

then its MORE DOUBLY awesomeLY COOL.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:13 am »

Well, I posted it someplace else, but I have a somewhat useful repeater/alternator with a much much slower cycle time but also a lot less CPU usage  ;D

PCP (who's old enough to find that funny?)

Pressure plate, chain, pressure plate. All in a 3x1 room, accessible by a door locked for pets. chain one animal up. the animal will keep either one of the things linked to the plates active, or none. You could build that thing for 1-8 things you want to activate. One state, however is always "activate nothing". Make sure the animal you use is male, if possible.

But since pressure plates do work with cititzens again (they didnt register dwarves for a few versions, when I started playing) you could just put one in a well frequented area to get a quickndirtycheap fast repeater.

Other things I'm proud of are my 7 level waterfall dining rooms. Usually only 2-3 levels of falling water, the upper levels are used for the pipes that spread the water input across the room, usually to 8 seperate waterfalls. The pipes are carved out of the dining hall, so you can see they are there, fully engraved. But that's nothing fancy or overly smart, just patience and some dedication.

I finally got my automatic waste disposal to work properly, using the animal alternator and a reservoir, but I opted for not using it (after I'Ve been fiddling around for so long  :( ) since it tends to kill the framerate, with all that flowing water, bridge smashing, and quick opening and closing of several floodgates between the garbage room and the river...

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:18 am »

Does it innvolve Magma?

then its awesome.

Does it innvolve Booze?

then its MORE awesome.

Does it innvolve a living creature?

Then its MORE DOUBLY awesome.

Does it innvolve water?

then its MORE DOUBLY awesomeLY COOL.
Unfortunately it only involves magma and possibly water if you include the obsidain farm the waste magma is fed into.
However in a more elaborate version on a different fort which i never got round to finishing, living creatures and repeater mechanisms are involved.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:42 am »

My waterfalls are pants-on-head-retardedly simple.
Often it's just a re-routed cave river that loops back to the chasm, or even a surface river into a cavern.
If i have to use mechanics, it generally works quite well(read: Not badly enough to kill people)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:27 am »

Seriously... everything that involves lots and lots of mechanics and tinkering around is usually the main reason...

...I always keep coming back to dwarf fortress.
...my forts are always doomed from the start because I overlooked one simple detail.
...my framerate starts to crawl, hence I should just not do it, but I can't just not do it, and so I do it. And shortly thereafter,
...everybody dies.
Pages: [1] 2