Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apathetic military dwarves  (Read 725 times)

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Apathetic military dwarves
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:55:44 pm »

"ònul Degëlcilob, Craftsdwarf cancels Collect Webs: Interrupted by Giant Cave Swallow."

Upon receiving this message, I dispatched my newly trained force of two Elite Wrestlers to deal with it. Only no matter how close they get, they refuse to attack. Both are on duty, both are set to harass wild animals, and both have "Soldier" as their active jobs.

Even when the swallow caught up to my weaver-in-training and they were stationed just a few tiles away, like so:

...they just stood there. Only by stationing them directly atop the GCS did one of them finally attack, but it was practically too late.

Any ideas as to what went wrong here?
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apathetic military dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:02:10 pm »

I don't know.

It sounds like they didn't see it because the GCS was "ambushing" so they would have to get within 1 tile square to see it.

But generally a stray cat 12 tiles away can spot an ambushing enemy thats taking pot-shots at it with a crossbow. Once any friendly spots it, its no longer ambushing.

It could be since the GCS's fly, they might have held back because they can't really wrestle anything when its a Z-level above them, if in this case it was going between Z-levels or something?

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:07:22 pm »

Didn't seem like it was flying.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:30:43 pm »

edit: nm I can't read.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.