Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, I can't build on andesite!  (Read 939 times)

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help, I can't build on andesite!
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:22:47 pm »

So I've just started a new fortress, and I'm trying to place a few rooms in the bowels of my mountain.  However, i keep getting the error that says the dwarves can't place the furniture and doors down because something is blocking it, and the only thing there is raw andesite.  Did i change a setting on accident, or is that a property of andesite?
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I can't build on andesite!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:56:51 pm »

If you are trying to build a workshop or furniture on rocks that are tasked for movement or forbidden, your order will be cancelled/suspended. This normally happens when building a massive amount of structures/furnitures next to eachother, since dwarves cannot move rocks that another dwarf is about to move, causing the constructing dwarf to cancel the order because he is not the one who is able to move the rock... *phew* Long sentence. Someone else clarify xP
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:07:01 pm »

okay, so its probably because of the giant wall i am building around my entrance... thanks
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:42:05 pm »

If it's just one or two stone, that dwarf who's building the structure will just move them.  If it's a lot more, they apparently get boggled sometimes.  (And if anything in that area is Forbidden, fuggedabowdid.)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:50:49 pm »

It seems that the stone stockpiles I used to set up to make sure my mason never had to go very far for materials for another chair resulted in a whole lot of those haul tasks as i haven't had to un-suspend as many buildings since I got lazy and stopped setting those up right away.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.