Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What do you think ( a tileset )?  (Read 8671 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think ( a tileset )?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 09:36:08 am »

It might look better if you invert '%', as then barrels are colored "appropriately" in comparison to the crates and '%' doesn't show up enough to really make much of a deal of it outside of pumps.

However, that is a matter of preference.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Angellus

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 04:11:12 pm »

You actually are the first to make me consider a graphicspack. If you'll make it compatible with the orcs: more things to kill mod I'll definately try it!

Really cool looking.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »

I am unfamiliar with that one, but I will assume it uses a graphics set or simple standard tiles, so this thing as is should work.  The special trees and stone tiles probably won't, unless the orc mod doesn't alter ANY matgloss files related to wood, minerals, stone, or soil OR any plants, as I will be altering those as well. Then they should be compatible.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

Angellus

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 03:41:46 am »

Great :)
(The orc mod is a mod which add's orc's to your world, afaik that means 4 new sprites, orcs, mount 1, mount 2 and mount 3.)

(Link: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26858.0)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 03:51:22 am »

Wow, this Tileset looks really sharp! I actually like the rough background for the text: having punctuation with rough backgrounds while text had none always seemed off to me, and for some reason this solution never occurred. Well done!

I look forward to seeing this finished!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »

More screenies:

Siege engines: adding a little wood grain and some ancillary supports to the siege engine tiles gives them a nice, beefy timber look.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My current countess's overly opulent quarters.  Beds and cabinets are now updated, with attention to making the cabinets still resemble a fortress for the map while still looking like furniture and matching the style of the rest of the furniture.  There are two in the bedroom on the left, one in white.

Thanks y'all for the accolades.  It keeps the development going.

I make games, too

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »

WOW I'm lovin this.

It really does capture that rough dwarven feel.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 08:13:13 pm »

second pic isnt working  :-\

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:10 am »

Huh...works fine on my end.  Can't fix what the browser says isn't broken.  Maybe a server timeout?

Quickie update: Proof-of-concept with the trees is done, just need to lay out the form it will take.  Several hardcoded tiles converted to full sprite-esque glory, a list of recolorings and retilings for all stone layers, soils, and general stones compiled, with a total of 12 tiles dedicated to stones and soils and minerals drawn up and ready to go (four of these are also the hard-coded tiles for flows, hills on the world map, and savanna, since they can easily do double duty).  Half a dozen trees and 6-8 plants are coming up too.  Gemstone item replacements (3) are ready to go.  Two ore item tiles and one natural fuel item tile are next on the list once material tests are done.  After that, there should still be a boat-load of space for more fun stuff...

I make games, too

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 01:06:24 am »

I'm excited to see the Tree thing, and everything is looking great still.

Might I suggest, however, that you tone down the brightness on the floor tiles? They currently match the brightness of the Wall tiles, and it makes them harder to differentiate, and makes smoothed/engraved rooms look really busy.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:38 pm »

I must say this looks lovely.
I've dabbled with tilesets myself and you work stands above the rest.
Feel free to look at my tileset if you're interested in diagonal walls...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »

So some updates. 

The typeface itself in action, along with my tinkered color scheme.

Oh SNAP, that is AMAZING! I'm loving this!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:30 pm »

Hmm, never been this pleased with the responses from my modding activities...then again, my other major work was at the AOM Heaven forums, and if you ever frequented those when the game was big, the modding section was brutal.  No one seemed to care for my...'unorthodox'? thoughts on texture and terrain design.  Got worse at Wildfire Games and 0AD...my boss in the art department was color blind.  XML-editing and hex-editing particle system files was much more lucrative, and my only real successes stemmed from that.  :(

So thanks.

Anyway, things are rollin'.  Finished converting all soils, minerals, and stones over to the new colors and tiles, and those are ready for tests.  Added some things too:

The tree trick I mentioned.  Basically, a tree sprite of the trunk is used for the ground level in a special color (essentially red) that extracts darker tones of brown from bright green, the foreground color.  That colors the block pile sprite the appropriate greens and reds and yellows for the canopy.  Holes in the trunk silhouette allow a background color of straight brown to pick up the highlights on the trunk, and add branches through holes in the silhouette mask of the block pile.  End effect is a tree that, By Armok, looks like a freakin' tree from an aerial perspective.  Tower cap and Glumprong tests are still needed, and sadly this kinda looses something for conifers, but it looks intended so I won't complain.

A warehouse showing some of the furniture/item additions.  Idols and chests have a sprite now, as do totems (tentative, I am unhappy with Idols the most and totems marginally).  Mechanisms are in there too, looking spiffy with a worm gear.  The chests sprite was carefully engineered to look either like a chest from above, the top of a fantasy style backpack with tie-down straps, or a ribbed quiver on its side.

Side note: since light magenta has been toned down, I changed Orthoclase to be pink instead of yellow (see the stone stockpile), which it can be in reality.  Thought it would be nice to have all the colors at least represented better.

Housing.  Included to show the primary native metals tile ("nodules") and the grooviness of native copper with patina instead of light gray as its background.  Turns out engraved walls use the background color of the material, and not light gray as I had assumed.  Floor tiles had the black area increased to provide better contrast as per Solifuge's observation.  It still needs work as some stones have issues on the contrast of their new colors (like this obsidian).

The mansion again, but chests are proper now.  Added contrast to all furniture, too.  The hall on the right shows the tweaked floor in a more typical color combination, providing pretty good depth.

The treasury vault, annexed to the Mayor's accommodations.  Included simply for the coin vault so you get the idea of the sprite en mass and the lever right now.  Pretty convincing, I think.

PTTG??: I was considering making a diagonals version, since that is like, fifteen minutes to whip up and everyone has their preference on the issue of corners in the tileset.  A sharp version will also see it through, with no angles save 90 degrees.

Nice thing about these is that, as future screenies will show, the little details of the shape of each section interact in ways that add a lot of depth and variety.  For instance, the corners are square on the inside, so a square smoothed room is indeed square, and the beveled exterior looks angular.  But, smooth a 2x2 column and engrave and suddenly the same tiles are almost perfectly circular.  The flutes at the ends of each section add ribbing in straightaways, but lead the eye into scalloped cutouts when a 1x1 column is added to the wall.

I should stop ranting...I like this set too much.

I make games, too

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

Looks great so far ;D. I'll be looking forward to trying this set out. Keep up the good work.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 03:43:17 am »

Wow, I love the look of that Native Copper. I hope all the ores and rare stones get that sort of treatment. This is looking extremely sexy so far!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4