Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What do you think ( a tileset )?  (Read 8673 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think ( a tileset )?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »

Wow, I love the look of that Native Copper. I hope all the ores and rare stones get that sort of treatment. This is looking extremely sexy so far!

Well, that is the idea.  ;)  Best part is two thirds of the dozen or so stone etc. tiles are double-duty: the two water tiles are generic enough to do some soils, the hills tile for the world map is done up as hills AND sand, the fills are, of course, generic enough to do many things, and the oft-neglected +/- tile that is only used for road construction has been changed to a "gravel" tile, implying a compacted under-layment for the road while still being able to be used for stones and soil.

I haven't even touched the letters with diacritics yet, so there should be room for lots of fun stuff.  ::)
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:30 pm »

Is there perhaps any chance we could get a demo version to test ourselves?

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:03 pm »

Well, yes, quite soon I will need to distribute a test version to iron out all the wrinkles, as I can not test everything myself in a tileset for a game that generates entire worlds on a regular basis.  Someone is actually trying out an earlier version right now...  So yes, there will have to be a beta (will be a separate topic, mind you).

Latest update on the tiles themselves; a lot of additions, and still like half a dozen tiles left to use (after reassignments).  I am making my way to the home stretch, rows 14/15.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 10:42:53 am »

FYI: it is possible to have transparency background for new versions; there's one key difference from traditional magenta, and that is you can have 50% transparent, white- which would blend the foreground and background colors.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »

REALLY...hmmm, I did not know that.  That is really good for the stone etc. tiles.  Like, REALLY awesome.

...how come that isn't on the wiki page?  Like, it actually states that it is impossible to use different shades of the background color...though blending the foreground and background isn't exactly a shade.

I make games, too

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »

Because it is only available in the 40d# versions, which are not yet an official release. Also because the wiki is notorious for being out of date.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:30 pm »

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(That is, I love this set and would love to have a fort or ten using it.)
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »

Oh, okay, that makes sense, about the version thing.  Hmmm.

So I recolored metals and reassigned trees with the different tiles.  Tomorrow is all the little vermin, animals, and plants.  Then a sit-back and assessment of what tiles are left after things have been moved, and some more refactoring of minerals and stones.  There should be room for one more tile for gems and the like.

The metals are recolored, roughly, with the foreground as the primary color of the metal, or the closest the colors can muster, and the background as the oxide of the metal.  So Copper is brown/cyan, Silver is white/dark grey, Gold is...well, yellow/yellow.  Bismuth turned out to be like pink (ish) and blue and black bronze as yellow/purple.  The irons have varying intensities for rust, and I sort of arbitrarily ordered them by carbon content (less carbon, deeper red).  Brass is also arbitrarily brown/dark red.  Adamantine is now light cyan and purple, as I think that looks cooler.  If anyone complains about how a metal that doesn't corrode has a purple patina of some sort, I'll chock it up to a naturally iridescent oxide layer that forms on the surface.  'Cause that is cool.

Still can't think of a good tile for adamantine ore...thinking of one of the veined ones, but I feel it should be something unique so it really pops.  Suggestions?  There are plenty of tile slots left, so I can still add things.

I make games, too

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 01:52:06 pm »

I really like what I'm seeing here!  I agree with your assessment of the Adamantium, it should really stand out better in both color and texture than it does normally.  I find it looks way too much like Microline in the tileset I currently use. 

Off the top of my head, maybe a skewed version of the texture you used for the metal in the second of those 4 pictures you posted on June 29th could look interesting.  But to be honest, even just using a unique color for it would help a lot!  Keep up the great work!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 02:05:38 pm »

Still can't think of a good tile for adamantine ore...thinking of one of the veined ones, but I feel it should be something unique so it really pops.  Suggestions?  There are plenty of tile slots left, so I can still add things.
The Pts tile (158) isn't used for anything in vanilla, though you might have to cut off a little of the curve of the P to make it properly strandlike.

Very nice work on the tileset, though I wouldn't use it myself for regular play (my laptop's old and doesn't support anything higher than 1024x768, and 64x48 is too few tiles for me). I'd still keep it around for screenshots though. The ballista especially is just plain gorgeous.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »

Hmm, well then I suppose I should whip up a low-rez version to go along with the standard "vanilla" one.  Fancy tiles are a no-go at lower rez, I'm afraid.  Not enough space to really get enough detail to make it worth it.

Currently Pts is a...I think it is a material tile.  No worries: still six left.

@ Battlecat: Indeed, something "strandier" is ideal, but it is hard to get such small tiles to look that way convincingly.  I'd prefer something fibrous, like asbestos...hey wait a second...asbestos is a crystal naturally, that happens to be fibrous when processed...maybe I can use that to my advantage...and flair.

me\ actually thought of that while typing

I make games, too

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 10:46:17 pm »

Hey I really like the look of your tileset, it's the most innovative DF has seen yet imo (cabbage trees!). But I hope you don't take it the wrong way when I say your tileset looks dirty as hell. Honestly, if you decide to go with a cleaner look, sans all the little dots and the cluttered rock/floor graphics, this would be the first tileset to tear me away from curses_640x360
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:48:15 pm by Organ »
The fight in the dog in your what?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 04:28:39 am »

This is the most artistically impressive tileset I've ever seen; many of those screenshots look absolutely gorgeous.  I had no idea you could get a dual-color effect for trees - that is so wildly excellent!  Love the ballista.   Love the letters. 

One vote for experimenting with a circular "gear" picture for mechanisms, as that seems to work well in assemblies as well as in stockpiles.  Do seasonal effects for deciduous trees work well?

Consider also releasing two versions of the tileset:  One with pictures for objects (as you have now) and one with mostly characters.  Mayday does this (actually, he has three versions) and I think he's right.

Hey I really like the look of your tileset, it's the most innovative DF has seen yet imo (cabbage trees!). But I hope you don't take it the wrong way when I say your tileset looks dirty as hell. Honestly, if you decide to go with a cleaner look, sans all the little dots and the cluttered rock/floor graphics, this would be the first tileset to tear me away from curses_640x360
I also find the pixellation a little difficult to get used to, but it's a deliberate design choice and I can see it growing on me.  What would make it easier is if LordZorintrhox experimented with a more subdued background.  Still have the texture effect, but keep it subtle so as not to confuse the eye.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 10:02:34 am »

The mansion, this time in almost full be-sprited glory.  Statues are crafted to look like they could be facing NW or SE, though it needs some work.  Cut gems have a sprite, but it needs more contrast.  Armor stands also added.  Real highlight are the doors.  Because of the top-down design spec, I had to come up with something, and so these are mode to look like a four-way Gothic-arch style doorway from above.  It gets the point across.  These are copper doors; plain rock doors have no extra stripe in the middle and no rivets.

Just a screenie of how nice the outdoors looks in general; notice saplings all around; the [SAPLING_TILE], [DEAD_SAPLING_TILE], and [DEAD_SAPLING_COLOR] tags all work, by the way.  Next test is the [BUSH_TILE] tag, which will give the wilds even more variance (and free the quotation marks)

Ground level.  Things to notice here are the boulder sprite and the new bones sprite.  After reassigning all the little critter tiles with silhouettes, I found that creature shells use the bones sprite but use the creatures colors instead of the usual purple/green/gray for remains.  This resulted in turtle shell remains surprisingly showing up with a brilliant green background color when I took this sprite out for a spin.  So I flipped the rib-cage portion around and added a silhouette.  Now shells are immediately recognizable in your rubbish pile, and actually look like shell shards of the appropriate color.  A happy accident.

On the noise issue: it has been said before that the noise is 'dirty' looking, and indeed it is. However, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the (Mayday?) style punctuation gravel backgrounds.  I feel it gives the game a grittier feel and fills in the empty black space well.  Furthermore, punctuation and spaces are about the only tiles with enough negative space for you to notice much difference at all, and that is most important since those are the fillers for the outdoors (as an be seen in screenie #2).  Anything with a silhouette has the gravel removed so it doesn't screw up the effect, and most items are so big in their squares that only a few grains peek through.

It was a few pages ago, but I did mention I will release a 'retro' style version with no special characters, just the slight embossing effect to make it 'pop.'  I guess I will add "no gravel" to that as well.  It's all PS layers anyway.

Oh yeah, release name for this will be DwarfletterGothic, with the retro style one, obviously, DwarfletterRetro.  If there is to be a non-square, smaller version as well, that would be DwarfletterClassic.

If ever I got to a graphics set too, it would include these tiles and be called either Arkham Graphic or ArcanagramGothic.  Mmm, typography.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention the strange symbol used for traps...a long story.  Part of my design spec was to not only provide a visually satisfying experience in Fortress and Adventure mode, but also one for the maps, particularly the world map.  Since the empty triangle, the filled triangle, and '^' all are used for mountains, I had to make concessions.  Thus the trap/mountain peak symbol is a fancified Dwarven rune reminiscent of the carrot, and the empty triangle is rune-esque as well.  So on the map they look good/consistent.

Rationalization/BS: archaic Dwarven is a symbolic language, and the glyph for "large mountain" is the same as for "trap," since, as we all know, big mountains are very dangerous...  Mountains being the ancestral home of Dwarves, they label mountains on their maps with the ancient runes rather than just little peaks.  It's like the Inuit: they have numerous words for snow, whereas we only have one, because the properties of snow are important to communicate for them.  Dwarves need to know what kind of mountain that is, not just where it is.

*end of fan-fic BS*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:40:03 pm by LordZorintrhox »

I make games, too

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 02:00:26 pm »

I really do like where this is going, and your entire aesthetic and attention to detail is growing on me. Still, I think the floors and loose rocks especially could be a little more subdued (I mean the rocks are annoying enough as it is). Also, what do you make of the random barrels embedded in the rock?
The fight in the dog in your what?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4