Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wooden Hammers?  (Read 1354 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooden Hammers?
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:39:24 am »

Do elves make wooden war hammers?  I've never seen one in their caravans.

Been meaning to get a few so my dwarfs don't pancake each other sparring.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden Hammers?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:21:36 am »

Silver weapons are as good training weapons as wooden ones.

According to the wiki: Also, the hippies elves won't sell you proper weapons like hammers and axes, but only what amounts to wooden poles.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:40:30 am »

No, elves only have spears, swords and bows.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:15:23 am »

Silver weapons are as good training weapons as wooden ones.

According to the wiki: Also, the hippies elves won't sell you proper weapons like hammers and axes, but only what amounts to wooden poles.

So the "safety" of wooden weapons for sparring is just the 50% damange modifier?  I thought there was some special flag that made wooden weapons not poke someone's eye out.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:27 am »

So the "safety" of wooden weapons for sparring is just the 50% damange modifier?  I thought there was some special flag that made wooden weapons not poke someone's eye out.

Yeah, just the modifier, nothing special.  Make sure they're made by a dwarf who doesn't know any weaponsmithing to keep the quality (and damage) down.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 04:52:57 pm »

If you don't mind modding, you can make them shoot blowgun darts. You can't actually make blowgun darts, so that prevents them from shooting them, but the weapons can still be made out of wood at the bowyer's shop.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

Dwarfs will gain hammer skill from crossbows if they dont have bolts. 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 05:39:42 pm »

I thought there was some special flag that made wooden weapons not poke someone's eye out.
Wood can be made pretty sharp, actually.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 06:15:43 pm »

The thing is, I don't want my legendary military getting maimed from sparring, which is just embarrassing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:09:19 pm »

The thing is, I don't want my legendary military getting maimed from sparring, which is just embarrassing.
Good armor + poor sparring weapons = no maiming incidents.  Ever.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:16:50 pm »

Speaking of sparring, is there any way to disable it without upsetting the military?

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:24:01 pm »

Get rid of the barracks or make the entire army subordinate to a wounded dwarf.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:31:02 pm »

I always though it was odd that dwarves can't make wooden mallets, clubs and pointy sticks.

I get that elves are special because they make swords out of wood, and that actually CUT people, and sever limbs off in flying arcs and the sort, but I don't see why it would be hard to turn that fallen tree into a simple wooden mallet (warhammer), or into a club (mace) or a for Urist to simply make one end of a long branch really pointy (spear).

Right now its hard to make weapons, even crappy weapons, on a embark site eithout ore or fuel or early in the game. Only thing you can do is make wooden crossbows and wooden bolts.

But yeah. For sparring weapons, I usually just let them have the real thing after a "basic training" set on unarmed with a sheild to train up their wrestling, armor and sheild stats. I trained 110 dorfs in my last fort in this manner and only had 5 bedwarmers to show for it once I switched them to +Iron+ type stuff.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:55:53 pm »

The crossbows do minimal dmg when used as hammers

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:13:12 pm »

I get that elves are special because they make swords out of wood, and that actually CUT people, and sever limbs off in flying arcs and the sort,

Actually that isn't too special.  A wooden sword is possible, and could cut people up.  Needs the right kind though.

It would just be hard.  Really, really hard.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2