Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Obsidian on constructed floors/bridges  (Read 656 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Making Obsidian on constructed floors/bridges
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »

So if I had a setup where I construct a floor then pump magma onto it - what would happen if I then put water on top of it? Obsidian would be created obviously but what happens to the constructed floor? Does it turn into an obsidian floor if I dig the obsidian? Or does it remain as a constructed floor when I dig the obsidian?

Also same question if the constructed floor is in fact a bridge (assuming its a magma proof one)
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Obsidian on constructed floors/bridges
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »

Short answer: The floor will remain whatever you made it of, as would a bridge.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:17:50 pm »

Long answer: The floor and 'body' of a tile are two separate things.  Think of how you can dig out an area, but it will still have a roof.  If you want to get rid of the roof you have to channel.

Basically the lava only fills the 'body' of a tile, and doesn't really affect the floor space at all.  Thus when you turn it to obsidian, only the 'body' of the tile is made obsidian, and the floor is left unchanged.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »

Ok, except for the fact that if you have a, say microcline tile, which has been dug to make a microcline floor and you then create obsidian inside it and then dig that, you are left with an obsidian floor.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »

yeah I've been wondering about this as well because as he said (and i've tested myself) obsidian made on a natural floor turns that floor into obsidian

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:02:44 pm »

Well you could make two levels of obsidian on top of each other, couldn't you? That way you should be able to get a natural obsidian floor in between, I think. Unfortunately, my current fort is not quite capable of such a project yet, so I can't test it.