Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the best Graphic Tileset  (Read 636 times)

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the best Graphic Tileset
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »

What do you think is the best?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best Graphic Tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »

The one that you prefer most.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best Graphic Tileset
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »

Good afternoon.

I'll presume you do mean GRAPHIC sets as opposed to character tilesets.

That's a pretty user-specific question. It depends a lot on HOW you play the game. Do you like a certain theme in your game? Do you have a preferred screen size for compatibility?

I can say that PERSONALLY, I'm a big fan of the classic Dystopian Rhetoric set, and its descendants. While I have the highest respect for the enormous effort put into DF by Sphr, I'm not fond of that school of graphics - I just can't quite wrap my head around SD (Super-Deformed) dwarves. That's MY opinion, and there will be many folks who categorically disagree with me - and that's cool. :)

Remember that DF is, in large part, the game that YOU make of it. Try some stuff, and if you don't like it, swap it out and try something different.

Currently I'm embarking on a character set fusion project, because I can't find any one set that QUITE suits me. I'm no artist, but I can cut-and-paste with the best of 'em. Just remember to ALWAYS offer full and appropriate credit for anybody's hard work that you "appropriate" - assuming that you might release your version of course.

Rochndil, who likes both Flying Mage and ShadowLord for character sets...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!