Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of questions  (Read 720 times)

Koozer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lots of questions
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:14:36 am »

So I've been playing this, which is quite frankly the ultimate game, for a few months now but there are a few things I'm not clear on if anyone would be gracious enough to fill me in:

• When I construct an underground water pool room and designate it as a water source, will the dwarves still want/like/need a well? And why do the cretins keep falling in and moaning about dead rotting babies/horses/kittens/champions in the the pool?  :-\
  • Pumps - which tile do they pump to and where does the dwarf/axle need to stand exactly to power it?
  • I dug out some space for a farm with one half outside, walled and roofed it in and it still counted as 'light' and 'outside.' What did I do wrong?
  • How exactly do I make pits/ponds?
  • In dining rooms, Dwarfs need one chair and table each right?
  • If I dig down and find layer(s) of obsidian, is that a guarantee of magma at that level or below?

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:17 am »

1) I'm not sure. Dwarves are stupid, but don't normally deliberately cast themselves into water, magma, or other terrain they consider dangerous. Yes, dwarves will prefer to have a real well eventually, though (it's not that hard, and depending on how you keep the cistern supplied, could provide good practice with mechanisms etc.)
2) Check the wiki! IIRC, one tile is the pumping part which should point in the direction of your receiving channel or whatever, the other tile is the mechanism where the dwarf works, or to which you otherwise need to supply power, and should be adjacent and above the source... or is it vice-versa? :S
3) Unfortunately, "roofing" doesn't work like that, and tiles with floors built above them will retain their "outside-ness". You can use this to your advantage; some players build protective "greenhouses" above non-dwarven crop farms built into a small channel.
4) Use "i" to designate a zone, and mark as pit/pond. Ponds differ from pits as they generate jobs that tell dwarves to attempt to keep them full, using liquids from other water sources and buckets if necessary.
5) Yes.
6) AFAIK, obsidian is only generated by magma (although goblins always have a way of getting loads of the stuff with which to make their towers). You'll know when you get to it as miners will begin cancelling dig/channel orders due to warm stone detection. The only really safe way of approaching magma is from above, as it is never pressurised (so only goes up z-levels if you pump it). Remain alert, though, as magma sources also normally spawn fire imps/fire men/magma men.

Hope that helps!
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:00:58 am »

In dining rooms, Dwarfs need one chair and table each right?

Depends on what you mean by "each".  If a dwarf is eating at a table, then another dwarf won't be able to eat at that table until he's done.  Same goes for chairs.  However, dwarves eat rarely enough that you don't need nearly as many tables and chairs as you have population.  My current fort has a population of 230, and I almost never see more than a half-dozen using my dining room at a time.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:34 am »

In dining rooms, Dwarfs need one chair and table each right?

Correct, in the sense that each table should have a maximum of 1 chair. Example:
Code: [Select]
..ccc..
..ttt..
..ttt..
..ccc..
. = floor
c = chair
t = table

NOT like this:
Code: [Select]
..ccc..
.ctttc.
.ctttc.
..ccc..
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:26:54 am »

So I've been playing this, which is quite frankly the ultimate game, for a few months now but there are a few things I'm not clear on if anyone would be gracious enough to fill me in:

• When I construct an underground water pool room and designate it as a water source, will the dwarves still want/like/need a well? And why do the cretins keep falling in and moaning about dead rotting babies/horses/kittens/champions in the the pool?  :-\

What you need to avoid is having a well anywhere near where combat will occur - the fools will dodge directly onto (and into) the well. Best to have some way out of it [and shallow water below] just in case of accidents.
  • Pumps - which tile do they pump to and where does the dwarf/axle need to stand exactly to power it?

They pump to the tile immediately next to its own solid tile. A dwarf powering it stands on the walkable tile, an axle (gear, whatever) can be anywhere that's directly (not diagonally) touching it.

• I dug out some space for a farm with one half outside, walled and roofed it in and it still counted as 'light' and 'outside.' What did I do wrong?

Are you sure it's counting as outside? It should count as inside (but above-ground) if you put a roof over it.

You should have separate farms for aboveground vs subterranean, since you can only grow one crop in a farm plot and they will only plant in the tiles that are correct for that crop.

• If I dig down and find layer(s) of obsidian, is that a guarantee of magma at that level or below?

Obsidian can exist both in _layers_ [i.e. it's just a layer of obsidian covering the whole map/biome] and as lining of a magma pipe. Just finding obsidian is no guarantee.[/list]