Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carve Fortifications  (Read 1340 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Carve Fortifications
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:08 am »

Okay, so I have a nice outer constructed wall. And I want to carve some fortifications in it. I have the wall marked for the fortifications, but the damn dwarves wont do it. I have a three dwarves marked with Mining, Stonecrafting, Masonry and Stone Detailing but none of them will do it. I can't seem to find the engraving job in the labor list, so I can't add that. I'm using the latest version of the game. Help!
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Carve Fortifications
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:12:12 am »

Well, I'll be. They must have seen that I posted because they just started carving  ;D
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:09:49 am »

Stone Detailing governs the Carve Fortification job.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:39 am »

Well, I'll be. They must have seen that I posted because they just started carving  ;D

Stuff like this happens more often than you would believe.  ::)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:24 am »

For the next time:
You could also check the job-list (pressing "J") to see what other jobs are being done. I often wonder why my 95 dwarves never build that damn door, only to find that around 30 or 40 of them are doing sleep/drink/eat jobs.
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:33 am »

Don't forget On Break

...damn unions.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:00:30 pm »

I'd guess your problem was the fact that you had dwarfs eatting, drinking, sleeping, on break, or even more likely, doing other things first.

Keep in mind that just because you assign something doesn't mean it becomes top priority for any of your dwarves.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:19:41 pm »

Don't forget On Break

...damn unions.

I've noticed that you can cut breaks short, by turning the lazy little jerk into a soldier and immediately back to a whatever.  It does give them an unhappy thought about the draft, if they're skilled, but it can be IMMENSELY useful when you need something done RIGHT NOW.  It can also help to turn off everything (especially hauling jobs!)but the single solitary job you're trying to get them to do.