Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please help me find my perfect spot, I'm freaking myself out.  (Read 515 times)

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been "into" DF several times now and I've always been trying to find that good spot that has everything which will allow me to build a huge self sufficient fortress of uberness to test all the game has to offer.

I'm don't -really- understand the custom world generating and I bet some of you Gods dream about seeds at night.

I know this will sound very much like I don't like effort and can't be bothered to figure it out for myself, but I've spend atleast over 100 hours trying to find this spot over several comebacks to DF, and other times I've always settled for something quasi up to my dream surrounds and I've already spend atleast 10 today ((it's 8 in the morning here (haven't slept yet) and english isn't my native so I'm probably blurting out gibberish)).

Anyway let me summarize what for area I'm looking for so I can go to bed and let you guys decide wether what I'm looking for is worth replying to.

X/Y dimensions atleast 9x9 or bigger
fluxstone yes
aquifer no
river yes and preferably not just a little piece somewhere in the corner, but a fullblown river thru the middle.
Magma pipe yes
Chasm/Bottomless pit Yes, one of them or both
"other features" Yes, I want rare stuff too and the list doesn't even end here :(.

This is all pretty easy to find, but the area setup is what I can never find;
I'm a long time UO player and I would basically like a UO style area. Let me explain;
 1/3 of the map covered with mountains on one side of the map
 2/3 covered in dense forests filled withcreatures/things to explore

The river ideally should be miandering (is that an english word?) thru the woods and possibly a waterfall or a cave where the water falls down into (altough I could dig that out myself too but the terrain needs to allow for it).

IDEALLY IDEALLY this area would also be on the coast of a sea so that there's some sort of beach, and have a goblin camp too but I understand that's just stoopid to ask for.

Let me end by my favourite movie quote ever;
This is madness!
Madness?
No, this is my DWARVENFORTESSYEARLONGDREAMOMGIWILLLOVEYOUFOREVERIFYOUHELPMEGETMYFIX.

Wait.. well you can see my obsession.

Thanks a lot in advance and I shall understand if noone replies other than to flame and my inbox fills with murderthreats.
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my perfect spot, I'm freaking myself out.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:01:33 am »

That's a very long list of features, many of which are usually exclusive to each other. For example, major rivers are hardly ever next to mountains, the ocean is also very rarely next to mountains, and flux stone and magma rarely go together.

Most of the rest you ask for is pretty doable, but you're just going to have to abandon the idea of a coastal mountain near a river fortress with flux and magma. Then, your options open up, especially in a 9x9 area.

Don't get caught up in looking for the 'perfect' site, since with a list of requirements like that, you'll never find it, and it's not too hard to find a 'pretty good' site. One such site is in this thread, but you can easily generate on of your own, especially in a 9x9 area.

Besides, challenges make the game fun. Try embarking in an unusual spot, like a freezing desert fortress or something, and flex your creativity muscle to make it work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:10:03 am »

The closest you'll get is Realms of Forever and then expanding your start zone massively to include the nearby forest biome more. You'll get magma, forest, a brook (river you can walk over), chasm, magma pipe, HFS, metric bungtons of obsidian, roughly the landscape you like, and the only thing you'll be lacking is flux since you can MAKE waterfalls. I actually plan to turn my brook into a waterfall eventually.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Sam Harrison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:56 am »

I've found an area with magma (2... things of it. Dunno if it's a pipe or pool), good stone (flint/siltstone/marble/obsidian.) , river (A brook, actually, but you can always widen it) chasm, underground pool, cave, HFS, sand and dense forest. The mountains are high in spots so there should be many z-levels. I believe there is sand in there too. There's a hole-chasm near the brook if you wanna make a waterfall. 2 level TINY underground river right beside the hole-chasm.
Couldn't find much iron, but there's enough copper to choke to death on and you shouldn't need a lot of iron once you get enough HFS.

Generate this world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and look in the mountains in the center area. You will find some good sites, particularly around the location pictured.

Actually, that site is pretty... pretty DARN good, if I do say so myself. The only possible bad thing is that there are no goblins. There is a war with the elves, though, to make up for it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:42:18 am by Sam Harrison »