Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to prevent dwarves from turning into champions looks-wise?  (Read 1082 times)

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know that if you train a weapon to expert level first and then train wrestling to legendary they will not turn into champions, but if i switch back to the weapon type again and they gain levels they probably will become champions right? I Just want to have squads of mace/hammer/axelords or swordmasters instead of champions. Champs annoy me because they all look the same and it gets a tad boring over time really.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

You can customize their names from the "v" "p" "z" menu.  It still works, I think.

Or try the same thing going through the unit list.

But is still won't change their picture.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to vote for coloured champions...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

I would like to vote for coloured champions...

Same here. Would make sense to me.

Just make the champions flash the color of the skill they're legendary in instead of white and it makes it much easier to distinguish them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Graphics sets don't have this problem...
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
here here
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:15:30 am »

i agree

the first time one of my dwarves turned into a champion i was so disappointed that they had lost their colour.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Perhaps flash between their weapon profession color and white to distinguish between them and heroes? That would be a welcome change.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Graphics sets don't have this problem...

Huh?  Yeah they do.  There's only a single CHAMPION profession, not individual ones for each skill.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can customize their names from the "v" "p" "z" menu.  It still works, I think.

Or try the same thing going through the unit list.

But is still won't change their picture.

I use that as well.  I give the melee champions names related to their weapon (e.g. "Stabby") to keep track of which is which.  I don't give marksdwarves their own names, in order to make it that much easier to tell them apart (due to not having quotes around their names) in case I want to assign them to a different spot.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Stray Elvis (Tame)

A sort of related question: when does a dwarf become a something-Lord?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, once they reach Great skill level with a weapon.

Stray Elvis (Tame)

Thanks, *slap forehead for not checking wiki*
I agree with the general consensus, that color should stay with champs.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

for personal taste/challenge you could always just stop dwarves from sparring when they reach a certain skill level, and that way your only champions would be the ones who earned it in actual combat. wouldn't solve the color issue but you would have fewer of them and being a champion would be more signifigant

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I could imagine even dwarven training to have it's limits, still, the odds of me actually catching my wrestlers before they hit champion are quite low...

But still, I like to be able to train my dwarves into an elite before unleashing them on the world, if the maximum ability from training was constantly trumped by every other sieger it could be a bit irritating...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I also find it difficult to tell apart champions and wrestlers or recruits who were legendary in a civilian skill before being drafted; I don't think they're exactly the same colour but because they're legendary they have a similar look.