Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf dies for no reason  (Read 1660 times)

Warlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf dies for no reason
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:13 am »

Ever have a dwarf just up and die on you?

1. I had one that "suffocated" and after searching my fort found him, dead, lying on his bed....  Maybe a murder? *cue ominous music*

2. What does "drowsy" mean?  Had a dwarf with little more than a spine injury in bed for a few years become "drowsy", then "very drowsy", before he eventually got up, dehydrated (dwarves were feeding and watering him before this), and wandered the halls until he died.  How can you get drowsy after being bed-ridden for 2 years?

Unrelated question:
3. How can I clean up the misc socks and cloaks littering my barracks?  They're all champs now, and with nothing better to do they just keep ripping the clothes off others

Last question:
4. My oh my, do my dwarves like giving each other spine injuries.  I've got 5 of my 15 military down for the count because of a spine problem.  Short of a massive construction project to move water from the brook in the opposite corner of the map to my fort to make a Kevorkian room, how can I dispose of them?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf dies for no reason
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:42:13 am »

Sparring injury to the lungs.

Hasn't slept recently and needs to. Injured dwarves pass out from pain and don't get enough sleep sometimes.

Magma.

Give your military good armour. It helps.

Warlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:54 am »

No magma on this map (crazy, right?  NOT choosing your location other than making sure it has mountains and trees (maybe a river)?), so no go there.

As for sparring injuries, I might as well just forget about training hammerdwarves.  I haven't had a foe yet that couldn't be taken down by a few champion wrestlers (aside from one time a goblin bow lord one-shot them all), and no injuries from sparring.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:19 pm »

If you see an injured dwarf that is drowsy, it usually means that the bed he was placed upon kind of bugged out and doesn't realize he wants to sleep. Deconstruct that bed and let your dwarves move the injured party to another bed.

Its the only way I've found it works, and I usually end up getting drowsy injured dwarves one per three bed-worthy injuries. :(
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Warlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »

Cold hearted as I am, I just let the jerk die.  He'll never recover from a spine injury anyway.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »

nervous systems never heal anyway. were you training champion wrestlers to be hammerdwarves? wrestling helps to avoid attacks so you might want to first give them some experience there before letting them have fun with the pointy things.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:45:44 pm »

Or letting them swing large and heavy things. Both are bad ideas.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »

Sparring injury to the lungs.

Hasn't slept recently and needs to. Injured dwarves pass out from pain and don't get enough sleep sometimes.

Magma.

Give your military good armour. It helps.

Agreed with this guy.

Cept that for the socks and stuff, quantum stockpile them if it really bothers you (i.e. assign a 1x1 square refuse pile, mark them all for dumping. They'll all get stored in one square)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:23:09 pm »

Marksdwarves and some good targets people...then no injuries...usually

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »

letting your dwarves spar to champion wrestler and giving them some armor before starting them training with a weapon eliminates sparring injuries almost entirely.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:33:03 pm »

If they get spinal injuries before becoming champions then you can just throw them into the guard and forget about them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 11:31:13 pm »

To take care of invalids when water/magma isnt a very viable choice. I've found locking a door and letting htem starve or releasing a vicious animal in their room works well. If they're well enough to spend some time out of bed, its also a useful way of getting rid of that surplus of goblins cloging your animal stock pile. :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:40:45 am »

I do wish that it would give me an alert whenever anything dies, or whenever a dwarf goes from uninjured apart from incurable wounds to being recently injured, just so that I know that this stuff is happening...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:45:24 am »

You get an announcement anytime anything that belongs to you dies, mostly dwarves and stray animals.

You don't get direct announcements about dwarves getting injured, but "Dwarf cancels task: Interrupted by hostile creature" can give you an indication that a dwarf is about to be harmed. This announcement sometimes doesn't occur if a dwarf doesn't have a job to be canceled.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 05:22:50 am »

I am more looking for the *lightning strikes* *repeatedly hit about the head with a 10 meter tall flashing neon sign* !!!!!!!!YOU HAVE BEEN INVADED BY ORTHOCLASE!!!!!!!!! sort of message...
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2