Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ranged/melee setting for military.  (Read 459 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ranged/melee setting for military.
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:45:47 am »

I propose that military dwarves gain a ranged/melee setting. If a melee weapon dwarf is set to ranged, they will bring a bag of stuff to throw. As per ranged they will throw things until they exhaust their supply, then proceed to use their melee weapons. If a ranged weapon dwarf is set to melee, then they will not use ammunition. Dwarves set to melee will train at a barracks, dwarves set to ranged will train at an archery range. This could be used in conjunction with specific throwing weapons, a list of allowable thrown items, or alot of damaged pig tail socks...

I would like to be able to train my marksdwarves as hammerdwarves without changing weapons. Also I would rather break many crossbows, than a few dwarves. In addition, I would like to have the option of ordering my super hammer-marksdwarves switch to pummelling something with their steel crossbows if I wish to conserve ammo, and/or piercing attacks are ineffective and I want to have my whole squad jump it at once...

Possible downsides:
Excessive amounts of ranged combat if everyone starts throwing everything...
Hammer training becomes too safe.
Would require more tweaking of military...

I apologise if this has already been raised...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!