Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I think I just found out what beak dogs are.  (Read 47395 times)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just found out what beak dogs are.
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 10:08:49 am »

Come on, people.
Anyway, official WoW derailment is over, now lets continue...
Besides that, my favorite MMOs are Uru Live and Monster Hunter Frontier.

I wish Capcom wasn't being so paranoid about non-Japanese players in Japanese servers.  They still pay for their subscriptions and it means they want it, but they threaten with no Stateside release if we don't stay off their servers or if we make private servers locally.

Which is why I haven't actually played it yet...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:11:25 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »

I kinda imagined them to look more like Nix Hounds from Morrowind. Ignoring everything the raws say, of course.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:17 pm »

That's why I said "the most hardcore WoW" players and not just "WoW players".

Probably still rash of me, but I was specifically trying to refer to the ones who go completely overboard about the game, and you have to admit there are a lot of those people around.
It's the most popular MMO out there.  Of course you're going to find more stupid people on it.

But on the same token, you find more smart people on it, too.

Different things have different types of fanbases. The percentage of single-minded geeks on WoW definitely seems higher than in a lot of other places, and I attribute this simply to the fact that it's an MMO that encourages a lot of time commitment. I mean, I'm not 100% sure about that, but I'm not going to buy the argument that the only reason there are a lot of ridiculous people on WoW is because there are so many people on WoW, since not every userbase has the same percentages of the same kinds of people. It certainly helps, but reducing it to that one fact seems like something of a cop-out. I don't even necessarily hold this against the game itself: I like a lot of things whose fanbases have a large contingent of ridiculous people.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »

I always imagined them as quadropedal owlbears.

Armok being David Bowie, or vice versa, would be completely awesome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »

I think the confusion was around because of the fact that, in the raws, they're given humanoid bodies. So they've always been known to be bipedal.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:13 pm »

I think the confusion was around because of the fact that, in the raws, they're given humanoid bodies. So they've always been known to be bipedal.

Also doing some looking at the raws we can see that.

1.Beak Dogs are the same height of a human 7
2.Comparing that to Goblins 6 that Toady seemingly matched what was represented in the movie.
3.That in all honesty they're not as impressive from horses, beakdogs are rarer, have a small population cluster and are not as useful as horses.
4. But four! That they do much more damage than horses.

Beakdog raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Horse raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 02:44:11 pm »

I attribute this simply to the fact that it's an MMO that encourages a lot of time commitment. I mean, I'm not 100% sure about that, but I'm not going to buy the argument that the only reason there are a lot of ridiculous people on WoW is because there are so many people on WoW,
Oh, what is it . . .
Final Fantasy Online?
Anyway, you're way behind the time.  WoW isn't nearly so time consuming anymore, according to my brother.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 04:30:39 pm »

Right now, WoW's about as far from an MMORPG as you can get while still being an MMORPG. Any LESS time commitment and it'd be an MMO-action game with loot.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 05:04:03 pm »

Right now, WoW's about as far from an MMORPG as you can get while still being an MMORPG. Any LESS time commitment and it'd be an MMO-action game with loot.
Which is what all MMO's should strive to be.
I'm looking at YOU Korean MMOs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2009, 05:13:25 pm »

Why on earth would time commitment=MMORPG?  There are several single-player games that take far more time commitment than most MMORPGs.  Low-FPS DF is a good example.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:17 pm »

Why on earth would time commitment=MMORPG?  There are several single-player games that take far more time commitment than most MMORPGs.  Low-FPS DF is a good example.

Sorry; It was just a very convoluted, tongue-in-cheek way of saying that I think the game is far too easy and goes from "Develop your character" (hence the RPG part) to "Run around killing things with your epic gear to farm money for the sake of having money" in practically less time than you can pay your first billing cycle.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been mentioned yet as to what Beak Dogs look like. Now that I've seen them like that, I can no longer see them in any other manner.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:48 pm »

I like that wallpaper.  Has a real Tim Burton feel about it.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2009, 10:32:27 pm »

The wallpaper is nice, but I don't like that image of beak dogs. The prefstring says they have hunched backs, and that wallpaper's beak dogs don't look like something anything could actually use as a mount.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »

I don't think beak dogs have any sort of description that merits them being used as a mount in any fashion. Humanoids with hunched backs? Maybe they run around bent over, clawing at the ground for stability, while the goblins ride on their backs. I'm sure the goblins prize them for their ferocity above any sort of utility as a mount.

I do, however, much prefer the menace of the skinless gorilla-looking thing with a beak as opposed to a cute little ostrich-looking thingamajig that looks like nibbling on a dwarf is an inappropriately violent action for it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5