Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting back to embarkation?  (Read 902 times)

sterlinganon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting back to embarkation?
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:28:43 pm »

So I started up a map, with a fortress, and I'd like to basically back up and re-embark to the location.  Can I just abandon fortress and reselect the same area?

Btw, I'd like to do this because I think I've found one of the best start locations I've ever seen, even going by the starts posted up on DFwiki.

In a 4x2 area, I have everything - pipe, HFS, underground river, sand, lotsa trees, a chasm, exposed hematite on walls.  Everything you'd expect from a good start.

But the real kicker is how the place is laid out - Imagine a box canyon with 3 sides - the open side points off the map, and one side is a cliff going down rather than up, but still, it's just incredibly perfect for walling off all those trees, all I have to do is remove ramps on 3 sides pretty much.  Heck, the cliffs are even nearly straight edges - when I first embarked, I thought it was a bug cause I had all my dwarfs lined up on a straight-edge cliff in a 1x10 row with a wagon and dogs thrown in the mix.

And the pipe surfaces right next to one corner of the box canyon.- the magma top is pretty much level with the flat tree plain. 

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back to embarkation?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »

If you abandon you will be forced to reclaim if you want the same area.

Abandon, go to "start a new game", select Legends mode, and you should be able to export the World Generation profile. Then just regenerate the world.
If you change the dimensions however, all the minerals change too. The landscape is underchanging however.

Please share the world gen data with us, too...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »

If you haven't saved, you can just turn off the computer with a hard kill, and the file won't get updated as when you "abandon fortress".  It's inelegant, but it works.

Or, if you were clever you might have saved the original pre-embark file with a diff name or in a diff place so it wouldn't get changed/saved over, and the game would still believe it was virgin.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:00:41 pm »

You could also regen the world, if you exported the information.  Just go to "Create New World with Paramanters" and copy the information into the relevant fields.

Please share the world gen data with us, too...
Seconded...
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »

No need for a hard kill on your entire computer.  Just kill the Dwarffortress process. Not the application, but the process.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

If you haven't saved, you can just turn off the computer with a hard kill, and the file won't get updated as when you "abandon fortress".  It's inelegant, but it works.

Task manager is a much more elegant solution than a hard kill of your computer.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »

Or, if you were clever you might have saved the original pre-embark file with a diff name or in a diff place so it wouldn't get changed/saved over, and the game would still believe it was virgin.
No need for a hard kill on your entire computer.  Just kill the Dwarffortress process. Not the application, but the process.

Task manager is a much more elegant solution than a hard kill of your computer.

NO, NO, NO!!

Terminating your DF process without saving will probably corrupt your saved game.  It doesn't manifest for a while afterwards, but eventually you are likely to see that world crash in an unrecoverable way.  NEVER terminate DF without saving--and if you do, restore from backups!  Dwarf Fortress always keeps some data on disk while you play, and if you don't let it bring that stuff up to date when you quit by saving, you WILL trash your world.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:59:11 pm »

NO, NO, NO!!

Terminating your DF process without saving will probably corrupt your saved game.  It doesn't manifest for a while afterwards, but eventually you are likely to see that world crash in an unrecoverable way.  NEVER terminate DF without saving--and if you do, restore from backups!  Dwarf Fortress always keeps some data on disk while you play, and if you don't let it bring that stuff up to date when you quit by saving, you WILL trash your world.

I find this funny, since i've savescummed (end the process for those who don't know) just about every world i've ever gen'd. At least 20 times. :D
No corrupts or anysuch so far.
Any in all fairness, it's only the world crashing. Who can't generate a new world? :P
I think i have about 20 worlds going at once most of the time...
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:05:33 pm »

Btw, I'd like to do this because I think I've found one of the best start locations I've ever seen, even going by the starts posted up on DFwiki.

Isn't it great when the terrain cooperates? My current fortress is one of these stories. It's almost completely high mounts except for the bottom edge of the map which is the northern tip of a Valley that must be filled with trees further down the map.

The map is almost entirely steep cliffs except for a small shelf about 20x20 that sticks out 5 z levels from the valley floor. It's amazingly defensible and best of all i have an underground river and more ore and gems than i've ever seen.

sterlinganon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:55:55 pm »

Cool, got it!

region1-world_gen_param.txt (2 KB)

Let me know you think this place is cool enough to be worth uploading to DFwiki.  I'm having fun with it (mine is a little bigger to include the bottomless pit). 

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:38 am »

I think the anti-savescumm mantra of unrecoverable crashes is mostly FUD since I've never seen it happen in the months I've been playing the same fortress.

Absolutely though you describe the sort of world that really deserves getting it's full params and possibly a ready-to-go file uploaded.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 06:20:43 am »

I've got me some NEMESIS UNIT FAILs in DF after save scumming, so Imma gonna blame it.

This holds ESPECIALLY true if you're using an utility to edit the values. Save it, remove the save, ALWAYS keep a copy of the worldgen.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.