Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Digging vs Mining - a new designation to help with clutt  (Read 4182 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging vs Mining - a new designation to help with clutt
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 05:57:05 pm »

what if the amount of solid rock underground is reduced and new types of stone are introduced?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 06:03:29 pm »

what if the amount of solid rock underground is reduced and new types of stone are introduced?
What do you mean? Beyond a certain point, pretty much all you'll find *is* solid rock. There is a transition layer between the bedorck and soil layer, but I imagine that this is typically not very long-and alternating tiles of stone and rock would be messy. Where i live, though, that layer is VERY close to the surface-there's shale everywhere. It makes building foundations and the like a pain. I assume this is what you are talking about?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 01:16:33 pm »

I'm personally against having masons carve stuff out of the unmined rock-because in at least some cases, its blatantly unrealistic. In order for a door to function, it needs hinges. In order to have hinges, it needs to be separated from the wall it is attached too. Which is why we have the current system of masonry-it makes more sense.

Myself, I always imagined the inexperienced miners as fumbling with their strikes and accidentally breaking up the square of rock they mined into an unusable gravel that gets removed when the floors are smoothed.

Err, I believe the quarry suggestion wasn't to do quite this. So much as the area being where the mason gets his giant slab o' stone for the door. Unless it's going to be an immobile object, I don't see a mason carving it into unmined stone. Come to think of it, I suggested that before. :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:04 pm »

I had an Idea quite like yours, where you could designate mining tunnels, but these tunnels would not be be as wide as a normal tunnel and as such would not drop a stone but as a downpoint it would only be accessible to dwarves with the mining proffession? It would be a faster way of doing some exploratory mining and eventually if something like a precious stone was found, or a ream of ore the passage leading to the discovery.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 01:23:03 pm »

Another advantage I see of this idea is that it lets us train new miners with less micromanagement. It's a pain in the ass when Uruk McNewbie keeps trying to mine gold with the big kids instead of destroying things that aren't worth 30 Dwarfbucks per square.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 04:09:35 pm »

I think mining and digging shouldn't make a difference when mining ore veins and gem deposits...

'Cause it's probable that you'd designate in large sections, so if you struck either of the two, you wouldn't accidently waste any by digging instead of mining.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 03:33:42 pm »

I, too, completely disagree. In a lot of ways just playing a random game is way too easy. One aspect of that is not having to deal with stone. Just leaving a stone behind isn't even as bad as it should be - the square should be totally unusable for ANYTHING until a volume of stone is removed.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 04:56:32 pm »

I, too, completely disagree. In a lot of ways just playing a random game is way too easy. One aspect of that is not having to deal with stone. Just leaving a stone behind isn't even as bad as it should be - the square should be totally unusable for ANYTHING until a volume of stone is removed.

That's not a horrible idea for making mining more realistic...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 09:16:38 pm »

We'd need a better AI if mined stone would need to be cleared. Personally I wouldn't mind if mining ended up being extremely slow. That's how it tends to be in real life
Pages: 1 2 [3]