Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Digging vs Mining - a new designation to help with clutt  (Read 4191 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Digging vs Mining - a new designation to help with clutt
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:49 am »

I wouldn't mind having a 'Pulverize Rock' command to reduce my hauling problems, but I think that once dwarfs can start using wheelbarrows, it'll help with that.

Backpacks, in addition to the possibility of gravel, could also hold a damn sandwitch and a drink, so my miners wouldn't have to run 15 z levels, take a whack at the rock, and then run back for a meal. As it is, I have to build and regularly stock relief-stations in all of my mines.

Hopefully, someday there will also be a "Deliver Meals" task in kitchens, as well.
For they would be your masters.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 02:42:00 am »

I wouldn't mind having a 'Pulverize Rock' command
Rock miasma! Will gray-brown-yellow-red up either or both lungs until all miners suffocate!
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 05:06:57 pm »

No no, dwarfs eat and breathe rock. I really think the idea of dwarfs eating atleast the occasional rock ought to be incorporated into the game at large. Maybe like a mineral supplement? Then I'll have a use for all my microcline.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 02:25:53 am »

I'm against rock being pulverized to nothing. If anything, I'd like to see ALL mining leave a unit of stone. Add in a few different designations for mining, based on speed, and have each one leave different sized chunks of rock behind. Fast would leave multiple stone chunks appropriately sized for crafting rings and earrings and such, while on the other end you have very slow, which would be like Deimos says, slabs suitable for large objects.

Higher skilled miners would be faster across the board, and leave larger chunks with greater frequency if that's what's called for. The amount of ore produced by mining one square should be constant in weight and the number of bars you can smelt from it, whatever the chunk size.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 04:08:29 am »

The amount of ore produced by mining one square should be constant in weight and the number of bars you can smelt from it, whatever the chunk size.

100% agree, this is a absolute MUST to eliminate to necessity to micromanage mining of Ore.  I's just not logical for someone to FAIL to get the Ore/rock out of a mined out space.  I'm not really sure I agree with the block-size idea because it's complex and just going in an changing the line of code that determines the mining success probability and just make it equal 100 percent.  It's a foolproof 10 second fix to a HUGE problem.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 11:29:00 am »

Maybe mining produces "spoil" which can only be used as gravel and ore/coal.
Masonry takes an entire unmined tile and produces a unit of furniture or two; you'd actually designate them and a mason would come up and carve it out.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 11:37:57 am »

This topic again.....

And of course with this topic comes people thinking we must create more hauling jobs by forcing players to deal with mine tailings instead of just abstracting them.

Why must we make the game harder and harder to learn for the new players and add useless levels of complexity...

Sighs...

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »

If anything, mining should result in more stone, not less.

One of the most difficult things about mining is simply moving away all of the dirt and rock to produce a tunnel. Massive infrastructure is built in order to do this quickly and efficiently, and literal mountains are made out of this material next to the mine.

Boulders should slow down movement to such a degree that you would want to clear the path. Yes, it will take a huge amount of work to do, but thats just the price of mining.

Interestingly, you could also use this for tactical advantage. Clutter up the entrance to your fort with boulders which will slow down attackers so they stay in crossbow range for longer.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »

I Agree with Hyndis.

Digging out an epic fortress should leave a proportionally epic amount of stone to deal with. Of course it would require wheelbarrows, mining carts, temporary tent-ish homes and rock-for-coal treaties first.

Before we have that I'd love a dig option. And a pulverize rock zoning on rock that is already dug out. It'd work like dump zoning, but all rocks zoned will be marked for pulverization by miners.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 07:10:16 pm »

Digging out an epic fortress should leave a proportionally epic amount of stone to deal with. Of course it would require wheelbarrows, mining carts, temporary tent-ish homes and rock-for-coal treaties first.

Nail on the head.  Don't "fix" mining until we've fixed the Halting Problem.

I mean, Hauling Problem.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 12:47:34 am »

I agree with this statement totally. Once we have hauling taken care of, we can get to fixing mining...
Err...
Toady. Toady can. :-[
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 03:48:55 am »

This part of the game isn't easy on those of us who have been playing DF for years, so talking about new people coming in, having trouble dealing with it, isn't really the point. It's bad now. We need better tools now.

Abstracting it won't fix the problem. It just makes the game feel less intelligent. 

We can learn to deal with the extra stone, by using more realistic tools--wheelbarrows, mining carts, what have you, when we get them. 

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 01:39:40 pm »

No no, dwarfs eat and breathe rock. I really think the idea of dwarfs eating atleast the occasional rock ought to be incorporated into the game at large. Maybe like a mineral supplement? Then I'll have a use for all my microcline.
No no, dwarves eat rock, they breath the vacuum.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 01:52:22 pm »

I'm personally against having masons carve stuff out of the unmined rock-because in at least some cases, its blatantly unrealistic. In order for a door to function, it needs hinges. In order to have hinges, it needs to be separated from the wall it is attached too. Which is why we have the current system of masonry-it makes more sense.

Myself, I always imagined the inexperienced miners as fumbling with their strikes and accidentally breaking up the square of rock they mined into an unusable gravel that gets removed when the floors are smoothed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:24:46 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »

The furniture that can be carved out in place ought to be limited, of course.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3