Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Graphics (I'm new)  (Read 876 times)

D-Day

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
About Graphics (I'm new)
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:10:19 pm »

Alright first off, I want to say hello. I been rummaging through the forum for a week now almost and I have to admit, you guys are funny. Anywho, I discovered this game via Penny Arcade who posted a nice tut on how to play.

Now what I am wondering is can I convert the images (I guess you guys call them tiles) into more hi-res pictures? I REALLY want to create my own images for goblins and dwarfs (and dead goblins and dwarfs) and I find that the 16x16? resolutionis a bit restricting. Now I love how you have to use your imagination for this game, but I also want to give it my own twist visually. Right now I am using Mike's Maydays Tile set (I don't think I owuld be able to play it if I didn't). Can this be done? If so is there a Tut out there that goes over the basics on how I could get it to work?

I also read somewhere that certain objects share tiles with each other.  Is this true?

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About Graphics (I'm new)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:41 pm »

It is true. The overlapping things are mostly buildings and text. For example, and accented 'O' is the equivalent to a lever. Or a 'u' with a '^' over it is a bucket.

Now, just to avoid confusion in the future: graphics sets and tilesets aren't the same. The 16x16 tilesets you're talking about are different from the creature graphics, as found in raw/graphics.

I'm afraid tilesets are limited to 16*16 dim, while the maximum for creature graphics is 32*32 if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: You can just modify Mayday's 16*16 .png/bmp as found in Data/art. What's what should be pretty self-explanatory. Nothing could really go wrong as long as you stay within the tile's border and remember to save it as the format you found it in.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:16:02 pm by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

D-Day

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:06 pm »

hmmmmm. I wish the game used a seperate file for each entity. And supports GIF... And A higher res. Now I don't know how this game is programmed, but I take it there is no way to seperate certain things from each other? I guess what I really want to know is there a nice, simple yet in depth tut for idiots like me somewhere out there? I really like customizing my games, such as Counter-Strike and Civ, and would love to customize this one to my liking. I have went through the wiki, I am looking for something more idiot proof that that..sadly.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:38:48 pm »

Use urist mcmodder.

It is one of the modding utilities listed in the list on my signature.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.