Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins stopped attacking?  (Read 1447 times)

Mido

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins stopped attacking?
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »

I've spent a good deal of time now fortifying my fortress and preparing a sizable military to deal with any threat my goblin neighbors may pose. However - and this is my problem - the goblins are not posing any threat. I am now on year five, and in the entire history of my fortress, I've been attacked by goblins a grand total of one single time. And now here I am with my teeming defenses and military, and with nothing to defend myself from, it's getting kind of dull around the fortress.

Anybody know what the deal is here? This is the first fortress I've played in this version of DF, so maybe I missed something in the patch notes about goblins getting toned down or something. I remember fighting off goblins by the hundreds in the previous version. I haven't had any kobold attacks but that's because my location doesn't have kobolds as a neighboring civilization, just goblins.
You see a green wiggly

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins stopped attacking?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »

How much wealth are you pumping out? Try expanding your industries and churn out goods.

I think how often goblins come is tied to how much wealth you create, not how much wealth you currently have, though I can't be sure.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:29:05 pm »

Sometimes goblins stop coming because they run out of generals to send at you. This will have changed by the next version. (hopefully)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »

Sometimes goblins stop coming because they run out of generals to send at you. This will have changed by the next version. (hopefully)

This shouldn't be the case. They normally (as far as I know - and I've run fortresses for several decades) just send randomly generated squad leaders after the ones on the civ screen are expended.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:35:01 am »

Oh god, nightmares of running out of iron and goblin bone bolts.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:20:16 am »

Check your map carefully for goblins that are floating (they'll have kind of a teal background, and might not show up in the unit list).  There's a bug with the current version that occasionally prevents thrown/knocked enemies from falling to the ground properly, and they can't die until they've hit the ground, and more goblins won't attack until the previous ones are gone.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:35:42 am »

This shouldn't be the case. They normally (as far as I know - and I've run fortresses for several decades) just send randomly generated squad leaders after the ones on the civ screen are expended.
yep, same here. i was kinda pumped waiting for the goblin king to come but no luck.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:51:52 am »

Check your map carefully for goblins that are floating (they'll have kind of a teal background, and might not show up in the unit list).  There's a bug with the current version that occasionally prevents thrown/knocked enemies from falling to the ground properly, and they can't die until they've hit the ground, and more goblins won't attack until the previous ones are gone.
Huh? seriously? Wouldn't that be a problem in conjunction with cage traps, what if your death pit didn't quite work and you just left them there?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:03:20 am »

Huh? seriously? Wouldn't that be a problem in conjunction with cage traps, what if your death pit didn't quite work and you just left them there?

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but no, cage traps and death pits couldn't cause it.  It's related to the "projectile" state that occurs when creatures are knocked horizontally (identifiable by the teal creature background), not to regular falling.

Warlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:31:48 am »

I'm having this too.  After the last sneak attack (90% of my sieges have been sneaks, it's a PITA), I haven't gotten attacked.  Things are getting a little dull, might make a new fort (crappy materials, no underground ANYTHING).

Might have been caused by my guard dragon.  He set some goblins on fire who promptly left the map.  Maybe they returned home, set a stolen beer stash on fire, and blew themselves up?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:36:38 am »

He means about how you said more goblins won't attack until the ones that are already there have been dealt with.

I would guess that there's some kind of flag that triggers when goblins don't have an available path to a dwarf yet there IS a path from a dwarf to the edge of the map.

If it's as simple as that it would be possible to set up a bridge to drop a goblin into a pit with pressure plates that would open and close the paths out to keep it running in a circle for forever to stop sieges.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:58:51 am »

Oh, right, that makes sense now.  Thanks.

From what I've seen though, the lifting of the siege flag is slightly more complicated -- the criterion seems to be that the invaders are either dead or have no morale left.  I've seen the siege flag disappear while goblins were still fleeing off the map.  So maybe the goblin's morale state isn't being set correctly, maybe due to creatures apparently being in stasis while they're in projectile mode.  That's just speculation though.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:34 pm »

So do you know any reason their morale should bottom out from the infinite circle trap I mentioned?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:27 am »

So do you know any reason their morale should bottom out from the infinite circle trap I mentioned?

Once a squad starts fleeing, they keep fleeing even if another squad starts turning the tide or whatever.  They seem to get stuck that way.

Warlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 12:44:46 pm »

I got ambushed again, by about 4 goblins.  Still no siege.  Very boring.
Pages: [1] 2