Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: Third Lords of Creation, OOC  (Read 24108 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Third Lords of Creation, OOC
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:22 am »

Well, by that logic, any god can teach their people to take advantage of nature, although that is my domain. Shouldn't I have the right to call everyone that mines, hunts, builds, etc. cheating because they're using my domain?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44:42 am »

For want of arbitration, I'd have to say the following here:

Dominion pretty much has to be fought for.  If you want to back up the claim that you've locked all arcane magic in your plane, use a game mechanic to do so such as an artefact, as this can then be challenged by another god and taken/destroyed.  If you just want dominion over arcane magic without doing that, well... go Rhuax on their arses.

Ditto for dominion over nature, tee-hee.

"This... Orthanc displeases me.  Ents, to war!"

Quote from: Grek
Smite them all dead, it's only 3PP.

Hey, that's a lot of power for some people.  :(
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2009, 12:04:36 pm »

Two things:

1) It could be Divine magic, which Alether has no control over (but requires the learners to be Clerics or a similar Divine Class). Arcane magic does have far more spells with far more unique effects but with what CJ1145 wants to do Divine magic would work well enough.

2) Poltifar, you need to post your god's profile in the LoC 3 Profiles thread. By Psyco Jelly's rules, nothing you do counts in the game until you post your god's profile here. Just pointing it out.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2009, 12:06:09 pm »

1) Then he can have magic ONLY relating DIRECTLY to his domain(s). If that is the case, then by all means, go ahead, I wont stop you.

2) Huh? What rule? I must have missed it. I'll do it now.

EDIT: I cant seem to find that thread. Link please?

EDITEDIT: I need a clarification from CJ1145, is the magic he taught only clerical magic related to his domain? Or did he teach them general magic related to MY domain?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:09:42 pm by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2009, 12:10:32 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. Nature magic (I.E. Druidic magic) would be enough for what CJ1145 is planning. If i am correct, Druids have already been created so Cj1145 could just modify his post to Teach Populus: "Druidic Magic" or "Nature Magic" or something.

BTW:
Poltifar, here is a link to the Profiles thread if it helps.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37171.0
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:12:03 pm by The Willow Wisp »
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »

Ok, I posted my profile.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »

Well, I think it should be backed up in the game, but I guess druidic could work, but it's really disappointing and leaves my backstory with a couple holes that are really tough to fix. It was meant to involve the Na'Rin as a sort of High Elf, being pretty much supreme spellcasters, and subspecies of less powerful elves starting a revolution. Druids just don't fit the image I'm trying to have them present.

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT

Poltifar, your domain does NOT list you as the god of magic, it says that you are the god of "arcane" things. Your portfolio element also lists Disciples of the Arcane Arts, not magic. Why can I not teach magic? What is or is not arcane?

And another thing, following my previous strand of reasoning: You are also the god of knowledge. Shouldn't that mean that gods are not allowed to teach people anything? That's a game-breaking domain right there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:19:37 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2009, 03:28:34 pm »

The irony (is this ironic?) is that by a literal definition, the Arcane covers that which is concealed and unknown.  So, uh, he would actually have dominion over anything he deliberately concealed... which brings us back to the original problem.

Going with the D&D base, however, this would mean all magic of an arcane source.  If we take the ultimate source of Arcane Magic to be the Arcane Realm, then arcane magic would cover all magic that uses that Realm to power it.

Of course, you could simply create a rival form of magic based on, say, soul-destruction.  (*cough*Void Magic*cough*)  Otherwise, Alether's dominion is based on his ability to uphold that dominion and to perform acts relating to that domain more easily.

That is not to say that you cannot agree for the sake of diplomacy not to make use of arcane magic, just that if an issue is made of it it will need to be settled through in-game means.  Likely bloody war, unless an alternative presents itself.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2009, 03:32:39 pm »

Arcane magic is used by wizards, sorcerers, bards, and duskblades. Divine magic is used by clerics, paladins, rangers, and druids.

Wizards and Sorcerers share a spell list, and are what most consider 'spells'.

Bards use charms and illusions, as well as several utility spells.

Duskblades are mainly offensive in their spells.

---------------------------------------------

Clerics use 'holy' or 'unholy' magic to heal or harm, as well protective and indirectly harmful spells.

Paladins are similar to clerics in their spells.

Druids and Rangers use 'natural' spells that are deeply intertwined with nature, though druids are much better at it.

Everything above the line is arcane, everything below is divine.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »

Wizards and Sorcerers share a spell list, and are what most consider 'spells'.

Really?  if so great....I can cast spells!

"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »

All right, then. Psycho has spoken. Come Monday I'll limit the Na'Rin to below the line. However, that blocks access to all the fun spells.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 25, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

All right, then. Psycho has spoken. Come Monday I'll limit the Na'Rin to below the line. However, that blocks access to all the fun spells.

Are you implying that the spells Shillelagh and Lightning Storm aren't fun?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »

Which brings up another question I wanted to confirm:  Is the mortal level cap still Level 9?  (Higher for heralds and deities etc.)  If so, we're limited to 5th Level spells in our purely mortal followers (though whatever we want in our half-mortal or immortal followers).

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:03 pm »

I'd like to note that the Gor in Ituems latest post, are Ger.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2009, 10:57:58 pm »

Which brings up another question I wanted to confirm:  Is the mortal level cap still Level 9?  (Higher for heralds and deities etc.)  If so, we're limited to 5th Level spells in our purely mortal followers (though whatever we want in our half-mortal or immortal followers).

I see some revision is in order. How about powerful mortals are considered level 10, and each additional level costs 1AP? It might not make sense flavor-wise, but it'd be balancing.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37