Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (for modders) dark dwarven graphics set  (Read 1044 times)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(for modders) dark dwarven graphics set
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:15 am »

Hi guys:

Seeming that I haven't seen any dark dwarven graphics sets around recently, I decided to cook up a quick one. It still needs some work, and the professions aren't very well colour coded (although still quite distinct). I will continue to work with it, and possibly produce some RAWs for dark dwarves as well. In the mean time, feel free to nab it and use it how you will. You can use the standard graphics_mayday.txt dwarven layout as I have changed no positions.

It looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yes. That miner is wearing a turban.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:31:01 am by Blakmane »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (for modders) dark dwarven graphics set
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45:22 am »

doesn't look bad, have you got a race to go with it?

suicidal_dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:36 am »

I think the race is in Civ Forge.
Scamps has adopted ToadyOne!
ToadyOne cancels work: Play with cat

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:37:46 pm »

Hey Blakmane,

I don't suppose you would be willing to make up some Dark Elves too? I have been playing Civ Forge lately, and it is a great mod. But Dangerous Wilds is looking like a really cool mod, and it has Dark Elves! The idea of playing and under-world elf just fascinates me! Currently tho, the DE's come out in game as an E instead of a graphic. At least for me they do. I am currently running a Mayday / Dorten setup.

Have a good one sir,
Gary

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:40:59 pm »

doesn't look bad, have you got a race to go with it?

I'm in the process of making one, it'll be a playable civ quite different (giving it a lot more attention) then the civ forge one. If there's interest I can post it up when i'm finished.

Hey Blakmane,

I don't suppose you would be willing to make up some Dark Elves too? I have been playing Civ Forge lately, and it is a great mod. But Dangerous Wilds is looking like a really cool mod, and it has Dark Elves! The idea of playing and under-world elf just fascinates me! Currently tho, the DE's come out in game as an E instead of a graphic. At least for me they do. I am currently running a Mayday / Dorten setup.

Have a good one sir,
Gary

Are you using Mayday's basic elf set? The one that has only 20 elves (no professions)? I'll explore the options. If you are using the more advanced elf graphics like are found in ranting rodent's pack, there's not much I can do for you as they are very detailed and would take me a very long time to convert.

I plan on making some deep elves anyway for my own mod, possibly as an alternate playable race, so I don't mind cooking something up. Otherwise the dark dwarves are pretty limited in their trading partners!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:30:13 am »

Here we go, deep elves with professions, from the mayday graphics pack.

Some of the professions are quite colourful. It's quite difficult to get a dark elf look with too much colour, but not enough and you can't tell what any of your workers are. If it's unsightly in the game i'll try using the same colours but much darker.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought, a good way of making the deep elves unique from just a dwarf fortress is to remove all metal reactions from the raws, and replace them with wood related reactions (meaning they get 'metal' via wood farming rather than mining). The most powerful items (steel equiv) could require rare and special wood, which has to be cultivated on site underground or in evil areas. Should all be possible in the raws.

*edit*

pitty you can't change the value of wood. That kind of shoots that in the foot, as you can just buy all wood from caravans =/.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:20:37 am by Blakmane »

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:39 pm »

Yes I have been using the basic mayday elf set. I will try these out soonish. Thank you! So you plan on doing your own mod? You know, I have recently thought to myself that a Mod using 2 types of Human, Dwarf, and Elf would be interesting. The "light" version of each, and the "darker" version of each. Possibly add in one of the Plant Mods (or portions of it), Perhaps an Orc mod, and Critters mod, for added difficulty and you would have a pretty solid mod! I am sure some folks would probably ask for a "hobbit / Halfling" type addition as well. The halfer's could be the capricious race that none of the others really like perhaps? The halfers are only a kicker idea really, i'm not sure I would play them ;)
As for DE's and special materials, yeah the wood mod would have been cool. If one wished to stay away from Better Than Steel other than Adamantine, perhaps an alloy of "lesser" ores with "exotic" alloying agents would be good. For instance: (1) Demantoid gem, (1) bauxite, (1) obsidian, (1) copper. Makes 2 bars of Demantium. Requires use of a Maga Forge. End result is an alloy that is 75% the weight of steel but the same strength and damage code (or you could enhance it a little if you prefer depending upon desired difficult). Reason: Dark Elves can not stand the "smell" of iron (anvils are an exception due to game mechanics-?-), they find it utterly repulsive. Use racial size restrictions to help restrict how quickly other races can come up with these armorments. This would help slow super weapons manufacture down some, as well as add flavor to the Dark Dwarves and Their Dark Elven trading partners.
I wonder, would it be possible to add in some kind of Evil only tag to the Ore and/or armorments?

BTW, the above formula while certainly a fantasy concoction, is not far from being semi-realistic, especially if you take into account "A Little Magic in MFG". These are Dwarves and Elves after all :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Personally me and a couple friends would like to explore "the Dark side" a bit  ;D

Edit: quantity of Demantium, and additional text for halflings.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:09:10 pm by diriel »