Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evolution and world folders  (Read 1313 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evolution and world folders
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »

Option in world gen to allow evolution, all creatures start out as a lump of flesh with a brain, mouth, longs, stomach and some sort of mating thing(mitosis as default?), when they mate there is a chance that a tag will be added, modified or removed. This is only during world gen not during the history gen.

World folders: Each world has a folder in which all the RAWs, sites and adventurers etc. folders are in, this allows for seperate Raws for each world but also allows adventurers to visit forts without abondoning as opposed to the current system where both sites AND adventurers use a region folder so you can have only one OR the other.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jakkarra

Re: Evolution and world folders
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:40:42 pm »

not a bad idea, but unfortunately it probably wouldent work, unless the system is heavily refined, most creatures will be hideously disfigured, and very useless.

:/

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:56:10 pm »

Yeah but surely the useless ones would die out?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

There is a point in games at which more detail is useless.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »

Didn't Toady always intend for all of the creatures to be procedurally generated? That's why all of the current civilizations are so horribly generic.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »

First: IIrc the worlds are going to be foldered seperatly for the next version.

Secondly we did speak with toady about genes and inheritance on The Fotf thread sometime back. You may want to read it up here. Its near the end of the toadys post.

Basicly you can go with multiple base models and a set of rules to create new genes and mutate them. The random generated horrors are too in the bloats and powergoals if my memory doesnt betray me.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:09 pm »

I think Toady intended some methods for procedural stuff as a sort of microevolution (different generated bipeds, sea mammals, whatever), but not totally unique forms of life.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:26:37 pm »

*shrugs* as long as i can breed the wienerdogs of my race to some furyous Dobermans and (american) bulldogs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:41:15 am »

*shrugs* as long as i can breed the Dachshunds of my race into some furious Dobermans and (English) Bulldogs.

Fix'd your spelling issues.  :P

love, jakkarra

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:13 pm »

Option in world gen to allow evolution, all creatures start out as a lump of flesh with a brain, mouth, longs, stomach and some sort of mating thing(mitosis as default?), when they mate there is a chance that a tag will be added, modified or removed. This is only during world gen not during the history gen.

Adding and removing any old tag is, well, meaningless.  Glance through the CREATURE:DWARF tags and you'll see there's all kinds of tags that don't control anything conceivably genetic, like CRAFTSMAN_NAME, and parametrized tags like SIZE:6 which can't just be changed to a random value.

As Heph noted, in the next version appearance-linked body parts will have associated "genes."  That'll be a much more suitable starting point for further implementation of genetics.

World folders: Each world has a folder in which all the RAWs, sites and adventurers etc. folders are in, this allows for seperate Raws for each world but also allows adventurers to visit forts without abondoning as opposed to the current system where both sites AND adventurers use a region folder so you can have only one OR the other.

As Heph said, the next version will copy raws into save folders during world gen.  Your visit-without-abandoning thing requires a way to give the AI control of a fortress, which is much more complicated and already has a bunch of Suggestions threads about it.

Didn't Toady always intend for all of the creatures to be procedurally generated? That's why all of the current civilizations are so horribly generic.

He's said he wants procedural generation to have a larger role and the possibility for it to control everything in non-stock worlds.  There'll still be stock world settings with stock creatures though. 

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:42 pm »

Well I was thinking that for a stopgap mesure so you can visit the fortress it just to carry on with any repeat jobs so before you go to visit it you just set up some fishing and stuff and auto cooking then visit.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »

World folders: Each world has a folder in which all the RAWs, sites and adventurers etc. folders are in, this allows for seperate Raws for each world but also allows adventurers to visit forts without abondoning as opposed to the current system where both sites AND adventurers use a region folder so you can have only one OR the other

Interestingly the First Armok allowed you to make seperate folders for creatures, plants, and stuff so that you could select what sets of creatures you wanted. I wish this would make a return, I probably should make a topic.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »

Sorry for necro but I just thought of another idea, there are small 1*1 maps of each climate on which the world gen places the creatures to determine the frequency of them appearing on that climate, the one with the highest population at the end is made a civ and the second highest is almost always present on that climate.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:14 pm »

About the 'evolution' thing, Alfie, I would recommend getting a copy of SimLife.  It's designed from the ground-up for this kind of thing.  Speciation BARELY works, and the whole thing is an admirable hack-job because this is one of those things you just can't simulate very well.

Heck, I'll be happy when a critter's performance in world-gen combat is in any way related to its performance on-map.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »

I think that toady was adding minor variations to exist within the species, and then it would crossbreed this
Pages: [1] 2