Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More ammo types  (Read 418 times)

jeroti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More ammo types
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:18 am »

Is it possible to change it so bows can shoot different types of ammo. Say a regular arrow, one that does HEAT or BURN damage to represent a fire arrow. How safe would a weapon like that be? Would it just instantly immolate whatever is it or just cause minor burns? Would changing the damage type on a melee weapon to HEAT/BURN hurt the one using it? Would a melee weapon like that be too dangerous for the user to justify using in the first place?

I'm interested in this because I think it would be kind of neat for sieges to use flaming ammo to try and burn and cause damage to your fort. I also think it would be cool if some invaders were just armed with a torch and tried to use it to burn the people their beating with it. The thing is I don't want a siege to show up and set the world on fire with a single bolt or melee swing, and if I take off the temperature then those weapons would be pretty useless.

Would this work for a fire arrow. Could I just add this under the bow entry in a civ and they'll use this ammo and regular arrows?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would this work for a lit torch?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for asking a billion questions that are only semi related at once, but I figured it would be better then asking in more then one thread.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: More ammo types
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:31:40 pm »

Both of your weapons would work, but you are not thinking of HEAT and BURN damage in the right way. BURN is more like sunburn than a burn from heat, it just causes intense pain. HEAT damage deals damage with'burned' messages, but it doesn't actually change the temperature of the air. You could attack a creature made of ice with a HEAT weapon and it wouldn't melt or combust. Therefore, just having a HEAT weapon will not hurt the person wielding it, nor will it light things on fire. HEAT and BURN damage is much more powerful than normal pierce and slash damage, however, it has almost no chance of severing a limb and only a small chance of completely burning off one. There have been reports of HEAT damage causeing corpses to burst into flames, however, it has alway been a friend of a friend type of thing and no real evidence has come forth.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.