Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Shoruke's RTD - A turn done with Cinnamon Rolls!  (Read 41729 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Shoruke's RTD - Roll To Dodge Helper Program in development
« Reply #570 on: July 05, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »

*cheers*

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 06, 2009, 01:49:15 am »

Way to go!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 06, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »

Okay, another progress report (if this gets big enough I'll make a separate thread for these). I got a bit more programming done after supper yesterday, and I'll get more done today.

-Each player has: A name (determined when you first put them into the list), 6 sections for wounds and accompanying text if necessary, a general status page (up to 250 characters; used for stuff like poisoned or nauseous), 30 skill slots (each skill has a name, an integer for experience, and 100 characters worth of text for descriptions), 50 item slots (Items have a name, a quantity, and a description), a block of text for Extra Stuff (such as ChAoS and having steel skin or whatever) and a number (used to reference where the hell they are in players.txt). Currently, a person's name is set when they are first entered in the list, they are assigned a reference number, and you can enter their status description. You can also select their various body parts if you wish, but nothing will happen if you do.

-Each NPC has a name, their summoner's name (for familiars, constructs, and 'persuaded' beings), the number of body parts they have (up to 16) and associated health and text, a status description, 10 skill slots and item slots, an Extra Stuff block of text, and a reference number

-Each Location has a name, the name of the larger area it's in (i.e. that room with the crates is in 'the castle'), 10 slots for items lying on the ground, a block of text for whatever else you'll need text for (like for when you guys LIT THE PRAIRIE ON FIRE), and a reference number.

-NPCs and Locations cannot be created yet, but some of it is just copy/pasting from the 'create a PC' button.
-Can't make skills or items yet, either.
-Players can only change their status text. Okay, they can also TECHNICALLY change their Extra Stuff text, it just won't save.
-I figure at some point I'll need to figure out how characters are going to be sorted into locations. Probably, I'll give the 'character' class another property called 'location', and you can only say that a given character is dead, nowhere at all, or in one of the locations you have in the list.

So, it's coming along. Good thing I kept my final project from Computer Science 20, or it would have taken me FOREVER to figure out how to reference from .txt files again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's got a print button that does nothing, but eventually it's going to make a .txt document which I can copy and paste onto the forums, and it'll have all your statuses all done up for me, complete with spoiler and acronym tags.

another EDIT: after a bit more tweaking, I tried setting vlynndar's body to mangled (by selecting his body from the Body Parts box and then putting 5 in the next box that showed up). Then it made 80 extra players. My computer lagged for about 10 seconds, and players.txt was suddenly almost 200,000kb. I do believe we call this a 'bug.'
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:53:07 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 06, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »

another EDIT: after a bit more tweaking, I tried setting vlynndar's body to mangled (by selecting his body from the Body Parts box and then putting 5 in the next box that showed up). Then it made 80 extra players. My computer lagged for about 10 seconds, and players.txt was suddenly almost 200,000kb. I do believe we call this a 'bug.'

You do realize I'm going to mangle myself now.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 06, 2009, 02:10:02 pm »

You do realize I'm going to mangle myself now.

What would YOU do for a Klondike bar 80 extra people with no names, no items, no skills, no body parts, and nothing better to do with their lives?

Although, I have no idea how that bug happened, what caused it, how to fix it... I think it might have been something about it trying to save each of your (nonexistant) items and skills as a separate character. Although how the f*** it would do that, I don't know just now.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:56 pm »

Okay, another progress report! Yay! Progress!

-That bug vanished. It happened once, and I've never seen anything like it happen again. Weird.
-The Graphical User Interface is starting to actually look like something. Holy cow, eh?
-When you generate a new character, apparently the 30 skill slots and 50 item slots are NOT taken up by objects known as "", but rather each of them are known as "[][][][][][][][][][][][]" or something like that. It makes trying to figure out how to deal with not having an item REALLY ANNOYING. So, much as it bugs me, not having an item or a skill in one of your slots will just show up as a blank space. At least for now.
-You still can't generate NPCs, locations, skills, or items, but if you could they would show up.
-You can finally change your wounds reliably now. The program has no trouble remembering that I recently tore my own head off and hit Vlynndar in the right arm. Mental note, use the 'save' subroutine often.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 06, 2009, 06:03:10 pm »

-You can finally change your wounds reliably now. The program has no trouble remembering that I recently tore my own head off and hit Vlynndar in the right arm. Mental note, use the 'save' subroutine often.

If you hit me with your head, that sounds a lot like Toribash. Or even Dwarf Fortress.
But in Toribash you can do that without death.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:33 am »

I would like to see this program, and good work so far on it! I can't program for peanuts, and you are really helping out all RTD GMs with this program! Keep up the good work and effort!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 08, 2009, 03:12:39 am »

I would like to see this program, and good work so far on it! I can't program for peanuts, and you are really helping out all RTD GMs with this program! Keep up the good work and effort!

10 print "peanuts"
20 goto 10

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:37 pm »

Small problem with that, Vlynndar: I'm in VB6, not QB, so the PRINT command is moot. VB6 is more like

For I = 0 to 9
    txtDisplay.text = txtdisplay.text & VBCRLF & "Peanuts"
Next I
'this will print the word Peanuts 10 times, each on a different line in txtDisplay

And today I had a small revelation about the Graphical User Interface. I now know how to set all the buttons and stuff up so that the whole program doesn't look like trash.

Tomorrow I'm going to put a crapload of work into answering the question: "How the FRICK do I handle these frigging skills and items?" I've got a few ideas already. And I'm going to ONCE AGAIN make it remember if I hit myself in the head and get hurt.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »

DAMN but today was a good day for programming. Holy crap.

-Items work! Woohoo! The program can now remember that I have a staff which gives me +1 to magic, and a widgit which gives +1 to anything. The only thing it can't remember about Items is how many of them I have; it crashes when I try to change that.
-Skills work... except you can't select them or change anything about them so they don't really. But If you somehow managed to give yourself a skill and somehow managed to click on your skill without it crashing, it would show up and you could even change it. I think. It's kinda hard to test that though because, well, you CAN'T click skills just now. Silly out-of-range subscripts. I'll work a way around that tomorrow.
-You can now generate NPCs. When you do, it will ask you for the NPC's name (if you leave it blank or hit cancel it'll just say "okay, no NPC then" and not make one) and then it will ask you how many body parts this NPC has. Pretty quick I'm going to have to change this system because the NPCs do not have any named body parts. Fricking antmen, forcing me to allow for the possibility of your existence. I figure I'll make up some hard-coded sets of NPCs (our humanoid 6-part kind, the antman 10-part kind, the dragon's 9 part kind, etc), with an option to make up your own set. The custom option will be tedious, though, because you'll have to type out the name of every body part. Perhaps I'll have to have a way to save custom body-part sets. Dammit.
-This program does not need a save button! It re-writes your character's (or NPC's, or location's) parameters as you change them, and saves it to the .txt file whenever you click a different attribute to change. Okay, that probably didn't make a whole helluva lot of sense, so I'll try again.

The file stores whatever or whoever you have selected in temporary memory. For Players, I call it curPlayer. curPlayer is updated with every keystroke. curPlayer is then written to the .txt files whenever you click on a different parameter (for instance, if I was updating your items, it would save your character to players.txt when I switched to your skills box).

So yeah. Frequent, real-time saving. Woot. It even saves when you close the program.
-After I changed the interface, some of the code became useless... the program is now once again able to remember that my right arm took 3 damage and is covered in blood.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2009, 12:53:14 am »

Very nice. But crashing when changing item amounts? That's odd. Isn't it just a variable tied in someway to the entry?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »

Sorry, I forgot which error was which. There were TWO errors at the end of yesterday, and apparently my subconscious managed to blend them into one big forum-speak fustercluck. As it was yesterday, you could not change the number of items you have or the amount of experience you had in a skill; you could change the number in the box all you want, but it wouldn't save it. Also, whenever you tried to change the name of a skill or item, the program would crash.

-Both of these bugs are fixed! Skills and items are now fully functional. The only problem I have with them right now is that if you try to give yourself an amount of experience or items with a letter in it (i.e. "How many grenades are you carrying, Shoruke?" "3adz!"), it will beak at you and refuse to save, but it's not quite perfect; I would LIKE to have it auto-backspace when you try to put letters in, but since I can't remember my parsing right now, that'll have to wait. Until V1.2 or something.
-NPCs are up. I think they're even completely debugged. The program can remember that the NPC King Is carrying a sceptre (ONE AND ONLY ONE sceptre) and that he has 3 experience points in the Ruler skill. The sceptre confers uberness and his three experience points give him +1 to leadership rolls.
-The lists of skills and items are now updated in a CPU-friendly manner, instead of clearing and completely repopulating the entire list like I was doing before. Incidentally, that was the cause of the previous crashing.

Locations are next, then I need to add in the body sets for NPCs, then do the print button, and then I think it's done. Woot! The end to impossible RTD-GMing is in sight!

(seriously though. Should I make a separate thread for this program?)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2009, 02:14:19 am »

Praise the Programmers! we have struck aw3some!

You should make a seperate thread, so it's easier for others to find it and use it.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2009, 02:57:29 am »

Praise the Programmers! we have struck aw3some!

You should make a seperate thread, so it's easier for others to find it and use it.

In agreement with both.
Go forth and become rich and famous.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40