Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trap comp experiments  (Read 2426 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Trap comp experiments
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 08:09:03 pm »

Note that weapon traps with blunt weapons do not knock things back, so I'm assuming that traps are hardcoded to only do damage and none of the exotic effects like burning or knocking things back.
Nope.  Burning damage just doesn't set things on fire.  I made a sword with burning damage once.  No fire, but it did cause effects such as heavy bleeding at a damage value of 60.  120 was absolutely brutal.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:57 pm »

What the hell is the repeat rate on spike traps? O_o It's hitting this poor bastard much faster than I predicted, even someone wearing a little bit of armor and with a high armor user skill (as best as I can get on embark) died pretty quick. I've since reduced the power of my grinder so that it deals something like 4 strikes of less-powerful-than-a-whip gore damage. It does a lot of internal damage nonetheless on spikes-I think either gore damage is pretty hardcore, or spikes are hardcoded piercing.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 08:49:37 am »

I think that gore is hardcore, I often get copses snagging my single iron scourge weapon traps, sure, they are unmodded goblins, often wrestlers with poor gear, but to kill someone outright with a single shot at 30 damage, when there are 200 damage weapons just seems a little harsh, I mean, even my single bronze whip traps get clogged often enough...

Oh, and did I mention they bodyparts flung in all directions? Mustn't forget those, it just isn't a party without someone's head getting lobbed 20 meters away..
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:28:34 am »

I knew gore was supposedly really nasty on living targets, which is why I picked gore for the grinder. I don't really intend to use them extensively on fortress defense traps: they're meant to make offerings to Armok by stacking a big pile of masterwork Grinders in a weapon trap and allowing prisoners the sublime privilege of walking on them.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »

Yeah, Armok should like that!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 09:21:29 pm »

Code: [Select]
[DAMAGE:210:BURN]
[WEIGHT:200]
[SKILL:PIKE]
[CRIT_BOOST:4]
[TWO_HANDED:10]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:10]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]

Use this as a trap component. Just add your own name. Whenever I wield this weapon in adventurer, my enemies burst into flame.

This was several versions ago though, but feel free to try it out.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 09:26:07 pm »

Problem is we're pretty sure that weapon traps ignore special bonuses of damage types. Blunt damage doesn't send things flying, for example.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »

But they don't shred enemies to pieces like a giant sawblade does. You could *try*. Here's your outcome payoff:

1. Nothing happens. You don't lose or gain anything.
2. Something cool happens. You gain happiness proportionate to the cool factor.
3. Something unexpected happens. You gain intrigue proportionate to the cool factor.

In every outcome, you only stand to gain. It should be pretty clear cut, no? I'd try it myself, but I haven't gotten around with the latest versions of DF. The observations when I was experimenting on these weapons were that while BURN and HEAT don't do anything usually, when you amp up the damage to stupidly high levels, the damage caused by BURN and HEAT increase accordingly. It may be heresay, but that's how the rumour goes. If you want to be damn sure of the outcome, just ramp up the damage to 99999 and see what happens.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

This sounds legit. Let's try it. In fact, I have a titan I really want to take down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »

Okay.  With my mod, I took fire swords and increased the damage to 500.  I promptly attempted to fight a Tahtorak, the strongest beasty in my mod . . .
And was promptly beaten to death with a steel boot (it's an old adventurer; long story).

Savescum.  Reload.

I go to a human town, and attack the elite bowman leader.  One blow causes the left upper arm to be "partially incinerated.  It does not burst into flames, but it does start bleeding heavily.  Another blow incinerates the upper body.  It dies.

So it'd have to be higher than 500.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 10:31:20 pm »

I did it with a pike (using that code there) and the enemies usually burned to death. But really, just play around with the numbers.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 10:36:55 pm »

So grinders act like goblin-chippers?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:51 pm »

9999 doesn't produce flames, so whatever this is, it is off any sane dwarf scale.

Heh, sane dwarves.

But yes, add some extra digits.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:08 pm »

Hmmm... oh well. Myth busted I guess. I wonder what caused my opponents to burst into flames last time. Maybe I should dig up that old copy of DF I have somewhere.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:06 pm »

I DID check to see if a trapcomp with HEAT or BURN triggered fire. It did not. I tried it in both spike format and weapon trap format (by jiggering a dwarf to sleep on the trap). Still nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3