Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trap comp experiments  (Read 2427 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trap comp experiments
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »

Alright. I have here...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The GRINDER is meant for my personal use in offerings to the great Armok. Disarmed orc prisoners are to be fed to it in order to appease the blood god.

The BURNER and FLAMER are my experiments in trying to create a trap that sets things on fire without the use of magma. So far I've tested them without getting any kind of flame effect, though-however, the only time I've used them has been as upright spikes (my attempt at being able to use them via levers instead of via weapon traps).

Tests so far: set the FLAMER in an upright spike configuration and spike someone.
RESULT: They died bloodily rather than flamily. Are upright spikes hardcoded to ONLY do piercing, I wonder?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Trap comp experiments
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:42 pm »

BURN damage doesn't appear to be related to temperature in any way. Victims of BURN damage report an emphasis towards heavy pain.

There have been scattered reports of corpses from HEAT attacks spontaneously combusting. Not entirely sure about that.

There was a page on the wiki with more descriptive... descriptions of the effects of damage types than those on the "Weapon" page, but I can't find it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »

It's on the Wounds page. Anyway, I'm testing out the Flamer again by having a dwarf sleep on top of one. We'll see. We'll see.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »

It's on the Wounds page.

No, that's not quite what I was remembering.

EDIT: found it, it's on the Combat page. Searching for all of the damage types doesn't turn that up, oddly enough.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:21:16 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:49 pm »

God, I'm loving the crazy grinder. I'm thinking of naming a fortress "The halls of Grinding".

YES. Does it need to be reloaded/unjammed?
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:02 pm »

The grinder wouldn't need to be reloaded, but I'm sure it can jam like all weapon traps.

Experiment B (Flamers on dwarves via weapon trap) ended in failure as well. It looks like the damage type does NOT set things on fire very well. Ah, well. The grinders will be fun to use in my Armok-worship.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:11:01 pm »

What is the difference between the grinder and a weapon trap with 10 whips in it?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge of modding, but would it be possible to add a high-temperature component that would only interact when the trap was triggered?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:52:09 pm »

What is the difference between the grinder and a weapon trap with 10 whips in it?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge of modding, but would it be possible to add a high-temperature component that would only interact when the trap was triggered?

The grinder is essentially the equivalent of the ten-whip trap. Except you can stack TEN GRINDERS in one trap, for a total of one hundred hits. Admittedly, extremely low-damage attacks unlikely to kill something... but this is an offering to Armok, the ultimate suffering of the subject is part of the intent.

Second question: No. There's no way to do anything like that-that's why I was trying out the BURN and HEAT damage types, but they don't do what I was hoping they did so I deleted the flamer/burner traps.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:23 am »

Could you make a creature that drops magma when it is destroyed, give a long life span and make it easy to kill, goblins come in and kill it and burn. it would be a shameless hack but...
can constructions drop stuff when they disassemble? You might be able to use the single-use pressure plate mechanism...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:26:43 am »

THERE is an idea... but I don't know how you would do it... Magma is a liquid, not an item, so I don't think that the ITEMCORPSE tag would work for that. I don't think it's possible to make a construction drop anything but things that're part of it to begin with on deconstruct, though.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:31:30 am »

And a dwarf can't build with something unless it can carry it without combusting...
Read the First Post!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »

THERE is an idea... but I don't know how you would do it... Magma is a liquid, not an item, so I don't think that the ITEMCORPSE tag would work for that. I don't think it's possible to make a construction drop anything but things that're part of it to begin with on deconstruct, though.

The ITEMCORPSE might work, though it would require some experimentation. I mean, water is in the raws as a stone, and I seem to remember that someone once got a creature to drop blood. Maybe MISC_LIQUID, I will have to look into this.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 12:27:02 pm »

Note that weapon traps with blunt weapons do not knock things back, so I'm assuming that traps are hardcoded to only do damage and none of the exotic effects like burning or knocking things back.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that behavior with spike traps (it appeared like they were either doing piercing damage or nothing specific at all). I may give the grinder the IS_SPIKE tag and give it a shot, to see if spikes with multiple hits actually work properly. Otherwise I'm going to assume that all spikes deal a single shot of piercing damage or something.

Of course, if you CAN set up a weapon in a spike and have it work normally, I am TOTALLY going to give IS_SPIKE to all my trap comps, just to have lever-activated weapon traps <_<

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27:35 pm »

Soo... Spike-enabled grinders resulted in a kill on every one of the raw recruits exposed to them.

Trying again with armor users.
Pages: [1] 2 3