Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? *Eensie teensie amount of spoilers*  (Read 1672 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong? *Eensie teensie amount of spoilers*
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:35:51 pm »

I'm trying to make a new metal and a new reaction from which this metal would be produced, but I'm encountering several problems.

[MATGLOSS_METAL:SILVITHRIL]
[NAME:silvithril][ADJ:silvithril][COLOR:3:3:1]
[VALUE:600]
[SPEC_HEAT:7555]
[MELTING_POINT:25000]
[BOILING_POINT:25000]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL][ANY_USE]
[WAFERS]
[DAMAGE_PERC:950]
[BLOCK_PERC:950]
[SOLID_DENSITY:200]
[DEEP]

That is the metal. This is the reaction to create it:
[REACTION:SILVITHRIL_WAFERS]
[NAME:make silvithril wafers]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SILVER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SILVITHRIL]
[FUEL]

The problems I encounter are: 1) The metal always shows up in CAPITAL LETTERS even though the name is lowercase. 2) The fact that it shows up. It uses adamantine, which no civs have access to, and it itself is [DEEP] meaning no civs should have access to it. 3) The anvils made of it end up with a negative value, meaning embarkers get paid 5000 dwarfbucks to take an avil with them made from the best material in the game.

If anyone can point out what part I messed up that'd be great. Thanks for reading and I hope I can thank you for responding also.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong? *Eensie teensie amount of spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:13 pm »

Negative value?  Ignoring the Deep tag?

Did you download a newer version of DF over an older version?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »

Negative value?  Ignoring the Deep tag?

Did you download a newer version of DF over an older version?

Or, something like forgetting to regenerate the world. Check your error log and see if it's complaining about things.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:15 pm »

It is a new world and it's in 40d

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:13 pm »

It is a new world and it's in 40d
But did you extract it over the 39e files?  As in, in the 39e files' folder without deleting 39e?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:24:45 pm »

What? I got here after 40d came out. It's been the version I've always played with.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:02:49 pm »

Does Adamantine actually use the BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE?  Sure it's not wafers or something?

Nevermind.  Try making it use raw adamantine.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:20:33 am »

This would have nothing to do with the reaction entry. Ignore him.

----

I just went and copypasta'd your entries here into my raws, because I couldn't find anything wrong with them. I can confirm: there IS nothing wrong with them. They work perfectly, as intended. Whatever is causing your problem is outside of these entries.

Here's a few possibilities:

1. Have you deleted all the files in data/objects before you regenned the world? Sometimes these cause issues.

2. Have you placed these two entries into the right raws? matgloss_metal.txt and reaction_standard.txt respectively.

3. Are you getting any error messages in your error log? If you report a modding problem you should *always* include your log.

4. Have you included/deleted any other entries in the raws?

5. if none of these help, install a fresh DF in a *new* folder (not over the top) and put in ONLY these two entries before you make a world, without changing anything else. If that doesn't work, at least we can narrow the problem down a bit.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:25:15 am by Blakmane »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:09 am »

----

I just went and copypasta'd your entries here into my raws, because I couldn't find anything wrong with them. I can confirm: there IS nothing wrong with them. They work perfectly, as intended. Whatever is causing your problem is outside of these entries.

1. Have you deleted all the files in data/objects before you regenned the world? Sometimes these cause issues. No, but I just did on your advice

2. Have you placed these two entries into the right raws? matgloss_metal.txt and reaction_standard.txt respectively. I had them placed properly

3. Are you getting any error messages in your error log? If you report a modding problem you should *always* include your log. no errors, just the standard stuff about 'Urist Truebolted has gained experience'

4. Have you included/deleted any other entries in the raws? Nope, only lowered damage from bolts and arrows

5. if none of these help, install a fresh DF in a *new* folder (not over the top) and put in ONLY these two entries before you make a world, without changing anything else. If that doesn't work, at least we can narrow the problem down a bit.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:05:06 am »

----

1. Have you deleted all the files in data/objects before you regenned the world? Sometimes these cause issues. No, but I just did on your advice

2. Have you placed these two entries into the right raws? matgloss_metal.txt and reaction_standard.txt respectively. I had them placed properly

3. Are you getting any error messages in your error log? If you report a modding problem you should *always* include your log. no errors, just the standard stuff about 'Urist Truebolted has gained experience'

4. Have you included/deleted any other entries in the raws? Nope, only lowered damage from bolts and arrows

Any luck so far?

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »

no errors, just the standard stuff about 'Urist Truebolted has gained experience'

I don't think that sort of message should come up in the error log. Sure you aren't reading the game log?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:27:45 pm »

It appears I was looking at the gamelog  :-[. Anyways, after deleting the objects folder everything works fine! Thank you all for helping me with this.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »

It appears I was looking at the gamelog  :-[. Anyways, after deleting the objects folder everything works fine! Thank you all for helping me with this.

No problems, have fun with your mod =) keep on dfing!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:50:17 pm »

Man that looks weird to see someone several months newer than you are to treat you like a complete newbie  :-\.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:23:30 pm »

haha na, this is just my new account. I've been lurking/ fortressing since 2D. Also, I probably screw around with the RAWs more than I actually play  ;D