Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Goldberg machines  (Read 3420 times)

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldberg machines
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 08:34:15 pm »

Found some fav'd contraptions on dfma:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-245-flushingtoilet Self explaining, isn't it?
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-231-degrinchinator - another type of trap. A bit convoluted... but not that much.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-881-trappinghfs - There is now a way to trap the HFS.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1092-7-segmentdisplaydemonstration - Do dwarves count in powers of 10 or 16?
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-567-goblindumper - The ultimate HAULATRON3000
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:48 am »

I'm having a hard time getting a good view of how he triggers goblindumper due to the way he looked at that- and because I've removed myself from default graphics so much I can barely recognize machinery in it anymore.

Is it just pressure plates triggering a gear assembly and a pump triggering a pressure plate triggering the bridges?
*and also maybe turning itself off-

I like how effective it is but it and half of the other videos aren't really goldberg-y. The anti-goblin stuff is very efficient and just sort of an unconventional way of dealing with them rather than way too many steps for a basic task.

You could needlessly complicate something like using a well by putting it at the end of a long hall with a pressure plate that closes the way behind, drains the well, and then fills it up before they get there, as well as to another pressure switch that opens a different path out that's closed at the well end as soon as the dwarf enters it and upon exit closes the far end while opening up that original entrance.

And filling the well has all kinds of complications you could employ like having lava melt ice while the original contents of the well travel through a series of screw pumps until finally being exposed to the frigid outside where they replace the ice that was melted by the lava.

*I haven't actually played to the point where I've worked with this stuff very much so there are likely all kinds of breakdowns in my Rube Goldberg machine but I think I've still conveyed the basic idea.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 05:14:45 am »

That is awesome, we could make an Indiana Jones adventure fort with those trcks in mind.
Urist McJones cancels Grab Cat Leather Hat; dangerous terrain.
Urist McJones: 'OH ARMOK MY HAND, MY HAND! I'VE LOST MY HAND!'
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 09:29:44 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1092-7-segmentdisplaydemonstration - Do dwarves count in powers of 10 or 16?
That was awesome.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-567-goblindumper - The ultimate HAULATRON3000
The last frames of this one are, indeed, fantastic.

I think the main difficulty with going Rube Goldberg in Dwarf Fortress is that to do anything particularly complex, you have to get pretty Rube Goldbergey anyway, so what's technically a "Rube Goldberg" machine anywhere else is "Yeah, that's how we do it" in DF.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:36:42 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 09:52:49 am »

I think the main difficulty with going Rube Goldberg in Dwarf Fortress is that to do anything particularly complex, you have to get pretty Rube Goldbergey anyway, so what's technically a "Rube Goldberg" machine anywhere else is "Yeah, that's how we do it" in DF.
But that's not the point! It's not about doing something complex in a complex way, it's about doing something easy in a complex way.
For example: Instead of hauling bones and skulls from the butchery to the craftsdwarf's workshop, you let the bones and skulls from a stockpile near the butchery fall down and use water from a giant watertower to transport them through a channel to a place near the craftsdwarf's workshop. Drain the channel, open the floodgate and use those bones.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:36 am »

That would be pretty Goldbergish.

For bonus points, have the logic for the whole thing driven by a confuse-a-cat maze.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:19 am »

That would be pretty Goldbergish.

For bonus points, have the logic for the whole thing driven by a confuse-a-cat maze.
I spy with my little eye traces of quantum mechanics. XD
Maybe, it'll work, maybe not. Maybe neither, maybe both...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:11:28 am by MC Dirty »

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:38 am »

Google Rube Goldberg machines.

They're those overly complicated, over-engineered devices with multiple steps that perform simple tasks. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is in the third Back to the Future movie; Doc Brown has one to cook eggs.

They're also in at least one of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies as well. They're in lots of media, so I'm sure you've seen at least one.

Peter Griffin had one that shot him in the arm as I recall.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »

SHOT HIM IN THE ARM? Is his Arm_ok?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jakkarra

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

Peter Griffin had one that shot him in the arm as I recall.

Aaaah, i remember that episode, Peter would make a GREAT dwarf, he even thinks the same!

I see what you did thar.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 01:51:51 am »

wow 2 days ago i would not of gotten that, its amazing what reading around on the site can teach you

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-231-degrinchinator - another type of trap. A bit convoluted... but not that much.

I have a plan on how to use that as another trap, instead it drops a thick water fall onto said invaders, and thus flushes them of of the bridges, and in into a pit.
This pit isn't really deadly per se, it just cages them, so that they can be readied for the Pit Dungeon.

The main function of the Pit Dungeon is just to hold demons, this allows for entertaining executions, and a nice Arena Event, all of the Invaders in the Pit get forced into the arena, and the arena is filled with a diverse group of recruits ( and yes, they are freshly drafted... ) .

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 02:25:26 am »

I have a plan on how to use that as another trap, instead it drops a thick water fall onto said invaders, and thus flushes them of of the bridges, and in into a pit.
This pit isn't really deadly per se, it just cages them, so that they can be readied for the Pit Dungeon.

The main function of the Pit Dungeon is just to hold demons, this allows for entertaining executions, and a nice Arena Event, all of the Invaders in the Pit get forced into the arena, and the arena is filled with a diverse group of recruits ( and yes, they are freshly drafted... ) .
pitting invaders against demons? this is awesome! i must do that.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:17 pm »

So can anybody whip up a diagram for how that water switch in the goblin dumper works?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »

To work at answering my own question: levers and plates don't send toggle signals to what they are hooked to, they just send on or off signals.

This makes the mechanism much simpler. The plate at the pump just overrides the ones at the dumper bridges. I still can't work out how exactly he gets the water back off the pressure plate but there are a million ways to do that.

So basically it's just a machine that flips it's own off switch in one step, in addition to enlisting goblins for chasm exploration duty.

*didn't test this at all. Anyone wanna confirm that that's all there is to it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3