Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Goldberg machines  (Read 3410 times)

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goldberg machines
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:42 pm »

I'm fairly sure they're possible with DF - lots of pressure plates, methinks - but has anyone ever made one with his/her fortress?

Jakkarra

Re: Goldberg machines
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:58:16 pm »

not as of yet, but im going to make one for my adventurer fort for that competition thingie.

there will be a LOT of magma.  (with an auto-reset, so it can happen moar than once).

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »

what is this "goldberg machine"?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »

Google Rube Goldberg machines.

They're those overly complicated, over-engineered devices with multiple steps that perform simple tasks. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is in the third Back to the Future movie; Doc Brown has one to cook eggs.

They're also in at least one of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies as well. They're in lots of media, so I'm sure you've seen at least one.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:00:37 pm »

I think my entire fort qualifies as that. The simple task is redistributing wealth from the goblins and elves to the humans and dwarves. It takes a 150+ dwarf fort to do so.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:10:00 pm »

ok, now that i know what they are i have seen some and doc didnt use the machine to cook eggs it was used to make ice

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:01:27 pm »

Dwarven breakfast machine!

simplified of course.
it could contain gobbo's, water and fireimps.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 03:09:55 am »

For those that don't knowof Goldberg machines, go and watch one of the newer wallace and gromits
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 03:29:56 pm »

Has anyone contrived an obsidian collapsing ceiling trap that automatically creates the next layer of obsidian to drop and resets?  I can't think of an effective way to dispose of the fallen obsidian automatically, though.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

Has anyone contrived an obsidian collapsing ceiling trap that automatically creates the next layer of obsidian to drop and resets?  I can't think of an effective way to dispose of the fallen obsidian automatically, though.

Drop it in magma?

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:56 pm »

That would work, but would take out whatever constructions were in the way so you couldn't crush anyone beneath it again.  You might be able to create a collapsing floor, but it wouldn't be better than a simple retractable bridge.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:34:06 am »

i had tougth about it a bit (for creating automatic obsidian rock making machine) but i think it is now impossible to make ... or at least i dont see how ... the main problems are:
  • Opening-closing bridge in obsidian wont break it (kind a wierd but it just opens and is still encrusted in obsidian)
  • Making a cave-in based machine hase two main dificulties too:
    • cave-in stops game (it is anoying)
    • you virtualy cant make unsupported obsidian, one of its edge qwill be in contact with something next to it cause you need thet to make bridges
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Jakkarra

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:12:10 am »

speaking of obsidian, and RGMs, i usually use an obsidian creating system to seal adventurers into my Adventure-forts.

It goes a little like this. Note, this is a cross-section

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

there are virtually no downsides to this, unless of course, a companion gets fossilised.

:D

Love, jakkarra

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:13 pm »

there are virtually no downsides to this, unless of course...

So what's the downside?
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:03:19 pm »

I just had a stroke of brilliance!
Code: [Select]
  MMM
  %%%
WW%%%WW
W.....W
WW%%%WW
  %%%
  HHH
% = pump
W= wall
H=water channel
M=magma channel
 . = open space

The open space would need to be more than on z-level above the target.  Both pumps could be hooked up to gear assemblies and levers so that they only pump when a lever is pulled or a pressure plate is triggered.  Then, when this happens, they both go off at the same time.  Having a mechanical power source is necessary, as the impassible space would need to be built over an open space tile.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:53:54 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3