Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Caravans Mod?  (Read 1152 times)

Belithane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More Caravans Mod?
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:35:06 pm »

Does anybody know if there are talks to make a mod to modify caravans?

I'm looking to do a few things with caravans:

Allow caravans from a single race appear more than once per season every year (example:  Allowing of dwarven caravan to come in Spring in addition to Autumn)

If multiple civilizations of the same race are in the world, have each one have their own caravan that can come at separate times (example:  If there are three different dwarf civilizations, each can send their own caravan at different times of the year, or all at once)

Random caravans appear from random civilizations at random times

If anybody knows of anything like what I'm looking for or knows how to change such things (I didn't see anything on the wiki about changing caravans specifically), replies would be appreciated!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: More Caravans Mod?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:34:03 am »

Yhe closest thing I now of is the Civ Forge mod, which gives you a gazillion different races, thus more caravans. But it's still only one caravan/year/race.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:39:06 am »

I do like the idea of modding the frequency/occurrence of caravans. That part of the game is a bit boring. Which is a shame, as it's also quite important.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:52 am »

You could make copy of the races and name them PLAINS1 PLAINS2 etc..
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:18:46 am »

You can increase the amount of stuff caravans will bring (I think) by altering TRADE_CAPACITY in the wagon raws in creature_equipment.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:56:34 am »

If you set a civ to be active in more than one season, it will bring more than one caravan a year. In my last game I had goblins sending me caravans twice a year.

Belithane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:17 pm »

Okay, thanks for the advice.

This evening I think I'll try to increase TRADE_CAPACITY in creature_equipment to a huge number (maybe 100,000 since the normal number is 15,000) and make sure [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING], [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER], [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] and [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER] are all there for every entity I want to trade with in entity_default and see what happens.

Some unanswered questions, though:

If a world generates with multiple civilizations of the same type, (like four dwarf civilizations, for example), is there a way to have each civilization have a caravan instead of just the one you are affiliated with when you embark?

Also, does anybody know how the game handles multiple civilizations coming to a fortress?  Will they all occupy the same trade depot at the same time or must a trade depot be made per different civilization if they're coming at the same time?

Also, now that I think of it, is there a way to set up trade agreements with just more than the dwarves?  I have a feeling it has something to do with the [DIPLOMAT] flag, but that's all so far.

Belithane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »

Okay, did what I said I'd do earlier and set up the raws.  Still need to test a few situations, but it looks like I can confirm that at least the dwarves may come every season if you add the ACTIVE_SEASON flags.  I'm not sure if they came during my first Spring or if it was Summer (40d11 can run crazy fast on my system, and I didn't take note of what season they appeared).

It also looks like the liason comes every time and offers a new contract.

Still have to check how much loot they bring.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:05 am »

Okay, thanks for the advice.

This evening I think I'll try to increase TRADE_CAPACITY in creature_equipment to a huge number (maybe 100,000 since the normal number is 15,000) and make sure [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING], [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER], [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] and [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER] are all there for every entity I want to trade with in entity_default and see what happens.

Some unanswered questions, though:

If a world generates with multiple civilizations of the same type, (like four dwarf civilizations, for example), is there a way to have each civilization have a caravan instead of just the one you are affiliated with when you embark?

Also, does anybody know how the game handles multiple civilizations coming to a fortress?  Will they all occupy the same trade depot at the same time or must a trade depot be made per different civilization if they're coming at the same time?

Also, now that I think of it, is there a way to set up trade agreements with just more than the dwarves?  I have a feeling it has something to do with the [DIPLOMAT] flag, but that's all so far.

1. I've never seen or heard of it, no. I don't know the precise mechanism, but I not ever got caravans from more than one civ of a race. Thus why you are stuck with whatever your initial dwarf civ offers, and why you can't be sieged by a hostile civ and trade with a peaceful civ of the same race.

2. There has been some contention over this. I've seen dwarves occupy the same space as another civ, but i've never seen it with any other race. Regardless, you only need one trade depot, and when you click 'trade' it will bring up a menu asking you who you wish to trade with.

3. Should be just adding the diplomat tag.

And finally:

Careful increasing trade capacity too high. A really massive capacity can absolutely destroy ur fps, and will take significantly longer to unload.

*edit*

also, more caravans will come over time if they are making a healthy profit margin. Try trading them really good deals (but not offering as this has no effect) and you'll find they come with more stuff next time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:49:11 am by Blakmane »