Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weapon Traps  (Read 6122 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Traps
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:24 pm »

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I modded in the deadly grinder, a weapon that does 20 gore damage x10. Or in other words, sticking one grinder in a trap would be like sticking in ten whips, and dwarves can MAKE these.

Of course, I don't intend on using these extensively for fort defense. These are designed for making offerings to Armok by giving captured prisoners the privilege of walking upon them.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 12:35:39 am »

I like to fill up my traps with the non-masterwork Obsidian Short Swords that my master stonecrafter makes.  An exceptional Obsidian Short Sword still does 239 slash damage.  Ten of them on a masterwork mechanism is like playing WILL IT BLEND? with the goblin unlucky enough to be leading the attack.

That website is evil. I can imagine dwarves trying it with -Narrow Giant Cave Spider Left Mitten- and whatnot.... or cats.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:45 am »

...body parts, which are great material for crossbows, which is why I have 10 x crossbow traps...

Body parts give bones separately from the corpse? I did not know this.  :D
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:55 am »

Personally I've been a fan of stone fall traps ever since the first dragon I encountered was killed by a single stone fall trap.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:27 am »

There's nothing more awesome than smashing invaders with your giant balls of steel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i am so naming my fortress 'balls of steel'.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:40 am »

...body parts, which are great material for crossbows, which is why I have 10 x crossbow traps...

Body parts give bones separately from the corpse? I did not know this.  :D

Well, I have never actually watched it happen, but i get alot of body parts, and i get alot of single goblin bones...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51:27 am »

Severed limbs and the like decay separately from the body and produce stacks of single bones. This can be good or bad-you'll get stacks of only five bolts out of the deal, but at the same time you'll get lots of said stacks.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:51 am »

Im reminded of the weapon trap I built using TWO Artifact weapon trap parts and an artifact Mecahnism... I filled the other 8 slots with STEEL Serrated discs.

Ive had endless fun watching ionvaders simply "Explode" as they enter it,
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:43 am »

Severed limbs and the like decay separately from the body and produce stacks of single bones. This can be good or bad-you'll get stacks of only five bolts out of the deal, but at the same time you'll get lots of said stacks.
Yeah, I forbid the single stacks and make bolts, then I forbid large stacks and make bows...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 04:21:30 pm »

I recently got a warning about yet another kobold thief and a nearby wardog went right after him.
I though I saw the dog bite him hard enough to make him explode (it was a named dog so this seemed sort of possible) but then I realized he probably just stunned it making it susceptible to the 10x serrated glass disk trap.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 05:08:52 am »

10x serrated glass disk trap
That might explain an explosion...
Read the First Post!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 12:26:40 pm »

Yeah, I forbid the single stacks and make bolts, then I forbid large stacks and make bows...
That doesn't seem very efficient.  It would be much better to make c'bows out of small stacks, and bolts out of large stacks.  My machine gun crew really chews up those bolts.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:31 pm »

Erm... Let me rephrase: I forbid all the stacks which contain only a single bone in them. I then designate bolt production on repeat until I am low on stacks with many bones in them(sometimes I don't feel like having stacks of less than 30 bolts or similar). I then reclaim all the stacks that have only a single bone and forbid all the large stacks that have many bones in them, so that the stacks with many(more than 5 for example) bones will not be used, and designate repeated crossbow production. I then fill traps with large numbers of crossbows and try to re-enact the scene from Aliens in which the automatic guns are killing all the aliens but are using up all their ammunition, and everyone is just staring at the ammunition count thinking that if they reach zero then there will be nothing to stop the hundreds of aliens pouring through and killing everyone... Has anyone done an aliens mod?
Read the First Post!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 11:30:23 pm »

Legendary Weapon smith producing Large Serrated Steel Disks and putting x10 in each trap works nicely.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 01:23:36 am »

Yeah, but it gets annoying to have to melt down all the non-masterwork ones...

It is really best to wait until you can fill them with artefact adamantine disks...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3