Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Weapon Traps  (Read 6125 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon Traps
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:35 am »

Two part thread. First is your favourite combination of weapons on a trap. Personally, I don't like using more than 3 regular weapons, or one 'big' weapon. A master carpenter can make giant wooden spiked balls with impunity. :)

Second. What are the range on Crossbow traps? And could they be linked up to pressure plates to create a sort of Indyjones styled room with a bunch of them scattered about?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Traps
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:38 am »

Whips, as many as I can stuff into a trap. And there will always be a trap consisting of a dozen daggers thieves drop. After that, spears and spikes. Everything else is just flavor.

And traps with ranged weapons only effect the square they are in. The only difference being they never jam and they require ammo.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:27:49 am »

Whips, as many as I can stuff into a trap. And there will always be a trap consisting of a dozen daggers thieves drop. After that, spears and spikes. Everything else is just flavor.

And traps with ranged weapons only effect the square they are in. The only difference being they never jam and they require ammo.

Spears and spikes would puncture wounds really nicely... Though, that gave me a thought; would War Hammers on traps have the same knockback ability they have when wielded by a dwarf?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:38 am »

I like to fill up my traps with the non-masterwork Obsidian Short Swords that my master stonecrafter makes.  An exceptional Obsidian Short Sword still does 239 slash damage.  Ten of them on a masterwork mechanism is like playing WILL IT BLEND? with the goblin unlucky enough to be leading the attack.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:58:04 am »

I stick traps with 2x whips or scourges all around the entrances of my fortress. Any sieges who make it through the gates will be in so much pain and suffering that my melee-dwarves can easily cut them down for lots of exp with no contest.

Randomly placed out in the middle of the field, I stick traps with 4x serrated steel discs. Any goblin who is unlucky enough to wander in ends up in more chunks than if he had been torn apart by dogs, with blood splattered all over the terrain and his friends.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:06:08 am »

Spears and spikes would puncture wounds really nicely... Though, that gave me a thought; would War Hammers on traps have the same knockback ability they have when wielded by a dwarf?
Toady has it as a bug he wants to fix, so no. Weapon traps do not produce knockback.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:23:56 am »

Heh, "Will it blend?" indeed!

A master carpenter can make giant wooden spiked balls with impunity. :)

But isn't "wood" a low-damage material?  Like, by 50%? 
(All I "know" is what I read in the Wiki:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Weapons#Material_damage_modifiers)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:26:15 am »

Heh, "Will it blend?" indeed!

A master carpenter can make giant wooden spiked balls with impunity. :)

But isn't "wood" a low-damage material?  Like, by 50%? 
(All I "know" is what I read in the Wiki:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Weapons#Material_damage_modifiers)

It might be, but Mastercraft is 2x damage. And he can pump them out one every 5 seconds.  When you have even one of these on a weapon trap it ganks goblins pretty nice. I shudder to think what would happen if I used ten at once.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »

I prefer giant axe blades and serrated disks. If I stick between two and six on a single trap, all good quality, NOTHING will survive it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »

When you have even one of these on a weapon trap it ganks goblins pretty nice. I shudder to think what would happen if I used ten at once.
And that's the bottom line - whatever works, baby!  Blend'em!  ;)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 01:51:43 pm »

When I want to level up my carpenters, I have them make wooden spikes (makes more sense then any other wooden trap to me) and I create my own "Punji tiger traps" with 10 wooden spikes. Sometimes I put them in upright spike traps linked to a lever, but usually I just put them in weapon traps.

I <3 fountains of blood!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 02:54:13 pm »

Green glass spiked balls and large, serrated discs.  While being made of glass makes them do less damage, green glass is basically free to make at a magma furnace and helps level up my glassmakers.  Plus, if you shove 10 into a trap it's basically a Cuisinart no matter what the material is.  3 spiked balls or 3 serrated disks is just about as deadly as 10 of course.  But there's no kill like overkill!

I think I've ACTUALLY done the full 10 in a trap once, it made me giggle every time an invader stumbled on it to become a fine red mist.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:23:14 pm »

Serrated discs are the first weapon traps inside my current fortress.  I have a refuse pile sitting just outside the entrance, and I like seeing it fill with chunks.

But if I'm making glass or wooden weapons, I generally prefer the spike.  They may be low damage, but a small amount of damage to a goblin's innards is Armok's way of telling that goblin, "Leave my slaves alone."
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Zink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 06:52:41 pm »

There's nothing more awesome than smashing invaders with your giant balls of steel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:53 pm »

1 whip or scourge, it seems to be enough to rend goblins to shreds, and can have the added bonus of a goblin bleeding to death after walking off the trap, I have had 5 corpses lying on one trap before...

The whips produce lots of body parts, which are great material for crossbows, which is why I have 10 x crossbow traps, which nobody has reached yet, but that should be exciting if I ever get a decent siege.

And then there are all the stone-fall traps, I should really dismantle them, they are stopping anyone from getting to my crossbows, I built them because they were just so easy...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3