Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melting Metals  (Read 3069 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Melting Metals
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 03:42:58 am »

Man it would be interesting if Toady allowed us to use this productively. I could see digging out a 5x5 pit, filling it with 3/7 magma and then dumping a bunch of ore in there and stirring it around. Let it cool, you never know what kinds of alloys you'll get, then purify it in a smelter. Dwarven metallurgy research!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 05:52:48 am »

I think that's a really interesting idea, forsaken 1111, that magma might be "harvested" for random goodies.

Shouldn't ever approach efficiency, though, but investing heavily enough in that kind of "research" might grant you a quantity of very special metal.

Such a thing would atleast help make lava forging more interesting than it currently is for me.
For they would be your masters.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 06:43:11 am »

Who doesn't want adamantine alloys? C:
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:33 am »

Maybe later on in the development of the game, we'll get surface Lava, at a lower heat than Magma currently is (but still useful enough for a lot of things), and some kind of deep Magma, that's hotter than the current stuff--hot enough to melt adamantite?
That won't fit with the fiction.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, but !!clowns!! are hot enough to melt adamantine

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »

So I've been thinking about this, and I think there is a way to sort of do what I mentioned above. If I create some reactions to 'process obsidian' into different types of obsidian chunks which can then be refined into bars of metal it would work out alright.

Say I had a "Process Obsidian" reaction which turned 10 obsidian stones into obsidian 'chunks' which will be classified as gems (mostly so you can't build with them) and will have a very low value. I might have 5 types of chunks, which you get in various amounts from the processing.

Type 1 - Zinc/Tin/Nickel
Type 2 - Lead/Copper/Bismuth
Type 3 - Silver/Iron/Gold
Type 4 - Platinum/Aluminum
Type 5 - Adamantine

Just crushing 10 obsidian would give you 1 low value chunk, type 1. Running the processing twice would give you two type 1 and one type 2 chunk. Etc

This could be accomplished by giving them % completions in the reaction.

The Type 4 and 5 chunks would be rare, so you'd only get one after 8-10 runs of processing obsidian stones.

These 'chunks' would then feed another reaction, which would turn a certain number of them into bars of metal. Say 3 type 1 chunks would net you 2 tin bars, 1 nickel bar, and 1 zinc bar.

Obviously amounts could be adjusted up or down as needed for balance.

This would make obsidian farming profitable, as you are pumping magma out from the earth, cooling it, mining it out, then processing it for trace amounts of material.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »

Decided to try and make this a reality:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47289.0

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »

There used to be a way of getting (material)-laced metal bars. I think you could get blood by melting down a cage with a creature in it, but sadly that no longer seems to be possible.

Unless maybe it has to be a hostile creature. Horses just get dumped automatically. A sword forged with the blood of fallen goblins sounds quite awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]