Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Out with Riffraff EA  (Read 5469 times)

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
Re: Out with Riffraff EA
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:18:27 pm »

Hehehe... those statements make game companies sound like drug companies. Only one or two cash cows with tonnes of experimental projects.

Blizzard takes 90% of its revenue from one game. Yes yes, I know it's Blizzard-Activision.

The games Blizzard have made (at least in the past) have been very polished and fun, so I think they deserve their success.

All hail blizzard! I played SC for a year and a half all because of bnet and map editor. That extra half year I used oblivion, very fun stuffs. I only quit cuz I got kicked off for a while, (By parents, not a lockdown of my account), and while my cd was out I've managed to lose it... damn it all.
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:11 pm »

I read the article, and all I have to say is: What ridiculous trash...EA is a dinosaur, and hopefully one that'll soon be extinct.

People like that guy are more responsible for the recession than anybody else.
For they would be your masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »

Quoting someone is great, because you don't have to know what the original context of it was so you can paint it in whatever light you want. I dislike EA just as much as the next guy, but I don't trust journalists to give you an unbiased view of things.
I'd like to see his full transcript. If you can find it, I'll give you 12 Atta boys.

I'd like to know if those little ellipsis seeded rather generously through his quotes are hiding something that changes what he said. Based on his previous actions, somehow I doubt it. Sure, journalists are biased, but John Riccitiello's history of insulting behavior make me think the journalists have it right this time.

So, Donate to Toady One. Show them John Riccitiellos of the world what we think of them ;)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »

I highly doubt that Riccitiello was talking about Toady when he said "riffraff", but I've been a diehard foe of EA since the abortion they called Mercenaries 2.  This just renews my determination to donate a quarter of my tax refund to Toady, whether I can afford it or not.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 05:40:34 pm »

RA3 sealed EA's fate for me. I never did get a demo working. That and their tech 'support' for C&C Complete collection.

DF tech support is actually free! And useful!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 08:25:21 pm »

I highly doubt that Riccitiello was talking about Toady when he said "riffraff",

Are you kidding?  It seems to me that Toady is almost a perfect fit for the riffraff Riccitiello was referring too.  He even does crayon drawings.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:38 pm »

Because I don't credit anybody at EA with knowing who Toady is.  I figured that by "riffraff" they were talking about one of the online communities that promotes usermade content.  Like, say, Newgrounds or something.

Man, I remember back when seeing "EA" on a game meant "quality".  Like any of the various "Construction Set" products from back in the 80s.  What happened?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »

Capitalism happened.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »

...promotes usermade content...
Wait, like Will Wright? EA is bashing Will Wright?

Excuse me a minute, I need to yell at some things. Some bits of rage should not be taken to the internet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:36 pm »

Idiom said he believes the current economic turmoil will ultimately help strengthen and focus the industry when it finally ends. "I actually think the economic crisis that the world moved into in 2008 was a blessing for the game industry," he told the audience. "First of all, a lot of the mainstream is going to go out of business... It's hard to compete with innovation especially when they're giving it away for free."

And while the "mainstream" comment might seem harsh, he saved some criticism for matters closer to home as well. "We did get fat in too many places. It seemed like anyone who could draw a guy with a gun with a crayon could get a fanbase," he said. "At least for the Battlecruiser series, they got a little too fat, and a little too reliant on where things were."

As a result of the soured economy, he added, that fat now has to be trimmed. His plan is simple: "Start by deciding what's important," he said. "Invest heavily in those programs. And cut the rest."

It may sound cold, particularly to EA who find themselves on the over-hyped fascist side of the cleaver, but under the circumstances there's little Idiom can do but put on a brave face and try to ensure that EA comes out of the current downturn dead as a doornail. A "free the imprisoned studios" mentality may not win him many friends, at least not among people who are shareholders in EA, but he may have a point: Recession-driven changes in the industry may eventually prove beneficial to gamers.

Not that this is the sort of scenario he'd choose to be in, of course. "I'm not pro-recession," he added, "but to quote Rahm Emanuel, 'Never waste a crisis'."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:16:54 pm by Idiom »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 05:17:04 am »

EA games does indeed suck.

Though BF:Heroes is fun, obviously EA are jumping on the Free game bandwagon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:19:26 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:21 am »

I wonder why they were allowed to. For a country that loves to fight monopoly, it's strange that it exists and no one has filed a lawsuit about it.

As a consumer, I love competition... as a business, I love monopoly... sigh... I can't decide.

You can't monopolize a football game. That's why. It would be like asking "I wonder why Nintendo was allowed to monopolize Mario games?"

Any company can make a football game. Many companies have seen the success of EA's and decided not to compete. The more football games that are put out, the more fragmented the audience becomes.

You could also argue that maybe other companies can't get the proper licences from the NFL (to use copyrighted material), but that wouldn't be EA's fault. That's either
A: Video Game copamny doesn't want to spend the money it would take to do that. or...
B: NFL doesn't want to sell to them.

Not trying to defend EA here. I'm actually indifferent to them. But if they have a monopoly its basis isn't that "EA is an omnipotent psychic greed-whore".
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 08:32:15 am »

I think he meant EA monopolizing the gaming industry.

Also, Best NFL game ever.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 08:42:45 am »

Well, because I felt so annoyed EA said that, I donated. Wheee! Preserve the Toady!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 12:27:03 am »

Support your local indie developer, donate to ToadyOne or pirate an EA game.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 [2] 3