Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Acceptable odds of tunneling abilities  (Read 3597 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Acceptable odds of tunneling abilities
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:44:19 pm »

It's clear that when people mention whether or not creatures should tunnel, it's not a very well defined scenario.

so, to think clearly, everyone should post about:

What odds are acceptable for a fortress to be breached by a tunneling creature?

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Acceptable odds of tunneling abilities
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:00 pm »

I don't think the problem is breaching the fortress, I think the problem is having a cottage-cheese mountain because animals keep digging.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:59 pm »

Yeah. I'm gonna have to agree. The tile-by-tile system is not granular enough to allow the display of animal-created tunnels that are large enough to be passable but small enough not to "ruin" the mountain with crisscrossing fail holes.

Preferably there would just be ambush code that teleports the creature into a likely tunnel-in spot without creating a hole in the wall.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »

I am 100% for tunnels that exist like chasms, etc, that are hidden while being dug, until discovered.   Realism, the excitement of suddenly finding a large weakness in your fort's defense, etc,  is key.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:14:04 pm »

Just let there be an effective, and economic way to fill, and seal the holes, I'd hate to waste all of my resources on a single gobbo guerrilla tactic.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:45 pm »

I don't think the problem is breaching the fortress, I think the problem is having a cottage-cheese mountain because animals keep digging.

so any odds that create swiss cheese Frequently, or \In a Jarring way with any  but a small chance/ are out of the question?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:35:17 pm »

Could just have them only dig through dirt.

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:51:04 pm »

I demand a Dune sand worm in the desert.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:01:41 am »

Just let there be an effective, and economic way to fill, and seal the holes, I'd hate to waste all of my resources on a single gobbo guerrilla tactic.

Pretty much this. As long as there was some easy and aesthetically pleasing way to fill up gaps like that there would be no problem. That's somewhat in line with things like being able to engrave constructed block walls and such...

edit - another possibility is if tunnels collapsed behind the diggers, though that would only really work for single units and not so well for squads of ambushing tunnelers.

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 12:20:15 am »

It's clear that when people mention whether or not creatures should tunnel, it's not a very well defined scenario.

so, to think clearly, everyone should post about:

What odds are acceptable for a fortress to be breached by a tunneling creature?

Tunneling creatures? Well it depends, really.

I'd daresay that it might be acceptable to have some large creatures digging in dirt, though tunneling as such shouldn't be random clusterfck, ever. It should act somewhat intelligently in designing a nest of sorts, and only through dirt. Maybe a few of these creatures working to build (and maintain) a nest in an area. Of course it's only in dirt, and you could exterminate them from it getting out of hand, though if it's limited to a relative small nest size.

As for digging through rock? Well, the occassional, very rare rock-digigng monster. Perhaps solitary or in very small groups (2-4). They would tend to live in mountains, generally in natural underground caverns and carve out some tunnel systems throught it. It would be good for when the Underground Diversity is finished, have some rock-digging creatures at an underground lake with a cave tunnel nearby. Not much more than that though. They shouldn't dig like crazy. Just a very little bit around their "home".

As for tunneling for by intelligent humanoids? Well first off, rock digging needs to be slowed down a lot, imo. High level digging is like nothing. Albiet other races aren't as good at digging as dwarves, and certainly would never get as high a skill in digging as dwarves do, but it still needs to be taken down a notch as it increases in skill, imo.

Lets use an example here. Goblins assaulting your fort. They need a way in, there is none -- you've lowered an iron gate. They'd go through some basic tactics first. Advanced pathing would be used to determine other possibilities. Set priorities on what happens next if you can't walk in. If anything, next option would have a % chance to be used, if fails % roll, try something else until you get a useable tactic. Siege tactic AI would go through lists of potential things to try.

• Is their a way around? Is there a back entrance they can try to walk into?
  • Is there a way to swim across a river or moat, maybe?
  • Can you build a bridge to get across a channel or river?
  • Is there a wall you can try to get over? Can we build siege ladders [that would act like ramps when placed] to use to get over a wall?
  • Should we build a ram to try to break down (presumably) metal bars?
  • Should we try to dig? How far would we need to dig? Through what: dirt, or stone?
  • Could we build siege weapons [cats, ballista, treb] to try to break down the gate or the walls to get in?
  • Sitting and waiting out a siege. Blocking off any caravans, hoping that it'll hurt your economy. Ambush anyone trying to get out. Possibility of trying a different tactic after a long period of time sitting at a siege, if any others are possible.

Just some examples. It would calculate difficulty of different things before trying anything.

Building ladders, bridges, rams, or siege weapons would require wood to be built with and someone in the attackers to have an axe to chop wood. No trees or no axe - none of these can be done, try something else.

Digging would require someone to have a pick. No pick, no digging. If you're digging through stone, difficulty is exponentially greater than when digging through dirt. The farther you dig, the much more difficult it will be. Dirt should be fairly easy to attempt. This would also encourage not building on top of lots of dirt. A long way in dirt would be easier than a short way in stone. Digging through stone would also take a lot longer than dirt, obviously. If the difficulty for digging is higher than it would be for trying siege ladders, try that choice first. If that fails, then this can be used. This should never be a first option. Also digging speeds should be lowered simply because of this. You don't want someone digging into your base in 5 seconds. That gives you no time to respond. That's no fun.

Tunnels would also be one space wide, maybe if # of siegers > a certain large number, say 25? They would also path to try to enter your base through the new entrance if it wasn't covered up. You'd basically have to block it up with a wall or gate.  Though this would just give them an easier route to dig through. Theyd just bust through your new wall you put up or one nearby, using the same tunnel, rather than making 100 different tunnels, they'd use the same ones, unless you plug it up completely, giving them nowhere to start. Though chances are if that spot was chosen the in the first place, it was chosen because it was the quickest and shortest route possible to dig through, so chances are they'd probably choose it again. We don't need superstellarAI. Just good AI.

I do also like the idea of being able to "collapse" a tunnel or "fill in" to get rid of these. Would help a lot. Though the idea i've presented would definately keep swisscheese to a bare minimum.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:07:40 pm by Iden »
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 12:51:38 am »

Iden, how about about supply convoys ( war realism, ftw ) and the remaining trees act as obstacles ( physically, and visually... ) , and other ways for the AI to tempt fate, and resources, to get in.

Like Siege Towers, they like moving stairwells, or if they are tipped over, bridges, maybe ramps, if they land on a wall.

Rafts, boarding planks, or bridges ( if something big throws it ) .
Grappling hooks, biting harpoons with ropes ( personally large enough for a ballista ) , or rocks with ropes and a catapult.

Erm, large and meaty steeds that can launch themselves over broad moats, and/or high walls in one bound.
Maybe large flying steeds?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:58:36 am »

I am totally in favor of crazy tunneling everywhere. I also want unrealistically frequent hair trigger cave ins and plate tectonics.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 01:59:03 am »

I am totally in favor of crazy tunneling everywhere. I also want unrealistically frequent hair trigger cave ins and plate tectonics.
Dude, plate tectonics have been proven to be nonexistent for years.

How about ruptures?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:37:24 am »

How about tunnels created by a creature that for every 20 tiles of rock it eats it produces 1 admantine stone, or a creature that can tunnel but you can train to help your miners.

Or maybe a long lost civilisation of albino super dwarves who don't know how to get out and will trade with you, like you give them some wood they give you gems.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:48:19 am »

Sieges:
Well if the fortress is aboveground, then it is quite likely that if they can find a quite corner where they don't get killed by bolts that they will merrily dig a tunnel under you walls.
In any circumstance really, if the enemy clearly isn't getting in via any visible entrances, then they will look for alternatives, probably just sit outside for a few years, killing anything that isn't protected by the fortress. Maybe pelt you with arrows on occasion. If the fortress doesn't seem to mind being cut off, which would probably be worse than it is now, then they will probably resort to tunnelling into the fort, which would take a while. If the fortress failed to dislodge the siege, and the siege fails to dislodge the fortress, then a tunneller breaching the fortress is basically inevitable...

Monsters:
If a megabeast is meant to tunnel then it will probably be horrifying, proceeding directly out of sight and towards some sensitive part of the fortress. Megabeasts should be a completely different challenge, instead of a mild distraction. I would like to see dragons incinerate vast tracts of land, and spend most of the time cheating by flying out of range while your dwarves burn, only returning to feast upon the soft civilians that remain. A hydra should be near impossible to kill and able to fight an army at once, it should be the complete reversal of the normal circumstance of a few dwarves fighting a ceaseless horde. A colossus should be unstoppable, until it is dead it should perpetually advance, crushing whatever stands before it.

And a Tunnelling Megabeast should be the one exception to the 'tunnelling will not turn your fortress into swiss cheese' rule. It shouldn't be a matter of 'if' they breach, but rather how much of the fortress they collapse...

Wild entities:
Breach chances should be pretty low, they should pick a spot and do their thing there, I suppose that if an antman nest is successful enough they will eventually spread across the whole map, but that would be very unlikely. Most animals will probably just dig a small burrow a couple of tiles long, Traders might bury their dead rather than have them rot on the trip back.
Chances would mostly be a matter of map size versus fortress size, if half of the map has 1 floor tile between the surface and your fortress, then breaches should be frequent, if you only have a narrow shaft to the outside world, and the rest of your fortress has 5 Z-levels between it and the surface, then I wouldn't expect to see any...

I also think that some entities should not leave tunnels behind them. The giant worm may well be able to move through solid rock, but it makes some sense that they would leave whatever they ate behind them, although it is possible that they would convert some rock types...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3