Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Incoming: Imperial Guard  (Read 5732 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming: Imperial Guard
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:53 pm »

Also, I'm sure you already knew of this Aqizzar, but Space Hulk just recently got a update.

And Aqizzar: Well, sometimes, game companies want to try new things. That's all. Sometimes, games are good, sometimes, games are bad. Regardless of when they were made.
Its free, right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:58 pm »

It is free and it's awesome.  However, Games Workshop punched them in the side of the head, so they took the download down.
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 07:53:42 pm »

Its okay. The genestealers are incredibly hard to beat, as you may get a few shots off before they get you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:14 pm »

Whatever man, it's so easy to turtle and hold out pretty much indefinitely, at least in the computer game.  I assume the board game is the same, but who knows.
Shoes...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »

You know, they could just follow the same method as FreeCraft (which was shut down by Billizard for providing a free version of Warcraft), and just rename all the Space Marines to Super Masters and all the Tyranids to Robots. GW wouldn't get angry at that.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »

Looks like me and my friend are screwed.
New tanks.
Leman Russ Punisher-20 shot cannon
Stormtroopers-Hot Shot Lasguns(AP 3)
Other things.

I see it as OP.

Space Marines:
Sternguard Veterans cost 125 points, and have special ammo.
One is a 18" STR 4, AP 3 Rapid Fire Gets Hot weapon.
And The Hot Shot Rife is 24" STR 3 AP 3 Rapid Fire

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:45 am »

Bump like you've got a pair, maggot!

So a few days ago, the new codex has been available for everyone's perusal.  I shouldn't have to explain why or how.

THINGS:

Just as I suspected, the Doctrine system is completely gone.  I'm not quite as upset about that as I thought I'd be, for two reasons.  Looking back, most of the doctrines were pretty useless or limited, and half of them just concerned allowing certain unit types.  Instead, the list is broad enough, with enough options for each unit, that the Doctrines have been almost outmoded.  Pretty much everything that could have been made before has been rolled into the list somewhere.  No more Preferred Enemy option or universal carapace armor, but that's about all that's lost.  Except, weirdly, there's no provision for anything like Jungle Fighters, despite Catachans being plastered all over the book.

There's a whole new system added in - Officers now give orders to squads around them, that do little things like let them fire more shots or take better cover.  All with war-movie-cliched titles.  It's an infusion of trope character that the Guard absorbs perfectly, and makes officers more than a half-assed attempt at countercharge units.

Commissars can now be bought for any individual command squad, or infantry squad.  But can only be given different weapons, as there's no armory.

Whole bunch of weird psyker-based units, including a multi-man brain-artillery squad.

Big guns all over the place.  Seven different Leman Russes, all with 13 side armor.  There's one with a Heavy 20 gatling cannon.  That's right, Heavy 20.  I'm in love.

Four different kinds of artillery, of varying utility.  I can't wait to see the non-Forge World models.

Three different Hellhounds, including one carrying two multi-meltas, in GW's ancient and bizarre insistence that flamers and meltas belong in the same theoretical classification.

Oh yeah, and all of the above can be fielded in squadrons of up to three tanks.

There's two more kinds of artillery, a limited ammo cluster rocket launcher; and the 40K version of a SCUD missile, which can only be fired once on a random turn.

Sentinels have about eight different weapon options.  The normal ones are more maneuverable, the Heavy ones have front armor and can carry plasma cannons.

The Penal Legion is a troop unit of it's own, with some random rules that make them dangerous as hell.  Veterans join them as a troop unit, which is a godsend.

Storm Troopers do indeed have an AP3 weapon, and are now ridiculously overpriced for it, but they did get some other crazy new deployment rules too.  Oh and Ogryns now have Toughness 5.

And yeah, the Valkyrie.  It's basically a Devilfish for Guardsmen.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:47:05 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 09:05:59 am »

I think the only AP 3 weapon SM have are the Special Ammo Bolters(Vengeance Rounds) and it cost 125 points for five Strenguard Veterans.

Punisher will be annoying, but I can take it down.
Executioner=Termie Killer
Valkyrie=Nice

I might get some. Mainly a few tanks, then stormtroopers and guardsman, maybe some chimeras/valkyries.

The new battleforce no longer has a tank. It is:
Command Squad
20 Troopers
3 Heavy Weapon Teams
1 Sentinel

With the cadian and catachan variety

Got a new book yesterday, and its pretty good. Its Caiphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:18:03 am by Org »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 09:17:22 am »

Storm Troopers were 10 points, with hellguns and targeters, and both grenades.  Giving them a deployment power (because why wouldn't you?) made them 11 points.

They're now a whopping 16 points each.  Sergeant comes with the required five man package, but they only have Leadership 7 without him.  They have a special deployment ability by default - you get to choose between: a pre-game Scout move and Move Through Cover; Deep Strike with a reroll to scatter; or Infiltrate and the first time they fire their weapons count as Pinning.  Also, their Hellguns only have 18 inch range while still being Rapid Fire.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:48 am »

Wow.
OP.

Really, it is.
Now, do you know the gear/special rules for some of the commanders?
I was wondering bout Al rahem, Chenkov, Creed, and the artillery guy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 09:51:56 am »

I really hope GW doesn't find this thread and sue me.

The artillery guy isn't a commander, he's an adviser add-on.  Like the other advisers he's otherwise identical to a guardsman.  He can "fire" an indirect, unlimited range battlecannon blast, but it has extra scatter.

But you want heroes?  You got heroes.  Aw yeah, it's the breakdown:

Creed and Kell - Supercommander.  He can grant one unit an extra move, and gives orders like an officer.  For reference, Platoon leaders give one order to a squad within 12", Company leaders get two orders within 12".  Creed gives four up to 24", and has a special order that basically turns guardsmen into orks.  Kell can take wounds for him.  Wargear is unchanged - carapace armor, twin-linked new-hellpistols on Creed, fist and sword for Kell.

Al-Rahem - Replaces a Platoon commander, with a special order to make a squad shoot and run in the same turn.  Has a plasma pistol, and a power sword that automatically wounds.

Chenkov - Also a Platoon commander, and imparts Stubborn-ness to squads around him.  Any Conscript squads in his platoon (they're organized under Infantry platoons now, instead of a separate listing) can be made Endless for a staggering 75 points.  If the unit is wiped out, it can reenter from off-table next turn.

Lord Commissar Yarrick - More badass than ever.  He's Fearless and does the same to squads around him, his Bale Eye is a hellpistol, he forces all wounds on him to re-roll, he's immune to Instant Death, and every time he's "killed" he can stand back up on a 3+.

And there's another half-dozen heroes drawn from Codices past.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:49 am »

OH GOD!
ENDLESS SWARM WITH GUARDSMAN!

Edit:What are the orders?

And those look OP.

EDIT EDIT: How bad are they with his special order?(When they are like orks)
Although I have a cheap strategy involving Pedro Kanto and an Honour Guard...

Or, against tanks, Master of the Forge, and Devastators with Lascannons.

Do you have the 5th Edition SM Codex?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:02:20 am by Org »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 10:14:02 am »

Yes, I have SM book, and I don't know why you think that's important.  Orders only work on Guardsmen, not anybody else, you cheesebeard.

Platoon Commanders have three Orders they can try to issue (it checks against the leadership of the squad it effects).  One let's the squad roll an extra die when making a Run move.  A squad can Go To Ground instantly, with an extra bonus to it's cover save.  Or Guardsmen can fire one extra shot from lasguns.

Company Commanders can issue any of those, or three other orders.  A quad can be forced to regroup, even if it shouldn't be able to.  A round of shooting can force cover saves to be rerolled.  Or shots against a vehicle or monstrous creature can count as twin-linked.

Creed's special order makes a squad Fearless and gives them Furious Charge.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:34 am »

That is cheap.

Does it mean with the extra shooting order, they can shoot 40 shots at rapid fire range(if there are ten, all with lasgun)?

And I was asking about the SM codex because I had a question that I cant remember...

Wait. Here it is
1) Can a Librarian force weapon insta-kill a tyranid in range of synapse(I know how they are immune to it, but their was an article that said something about a Librarien insta-killing a Tyrant)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 10:27:55 am »

The extra shooting means an extra shot.  Within rapid fire range, lasguns fire three shots instead of two; if the squad didn't move, lasguns fire two shots at max range.  Remember, they're still guardsmen with lasguns - it's just a flashlight, and they miss half the shots.

As for force weapons vs Synapse, how the hell should I know?  If I had to make a ruling, I'd say that immunity to Instant Death overrides Instant Death attacks, except where specifically noted (like that old Crack of Doom power, or whatever it was called).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5