Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Military screen  (Read 593 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
The Military screen
« on: February 15, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

I have to say, I truly and utterly !!(*-hate]*)!! the [m]ilitary screen. It is a marvel of user-hostile interface, and every time I use it to promote, more and deactivate troops I manage to screw up my units. Did I say I hate it? There MUST be a better way of dealing with this, especially given that all dwarves have totally undistinguishable names. Even if the interface is said to be revamped at a future date, basically every other screen in the game WORKS, but this simply makes me frustrated and angry. Toady, if you read this, please consider injecting an improvement of this!

So, anyone has any suggestions

As a starter, I think that the civil and military designations oof a dwarf should be onscreen at the same time in differnt columns.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: The Military screen
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Double-posting because I'm ready to scream from this: why in FUN STUFF is it impossible to remove a dwarf from a squad? If you try to deactivate him the entire squad is deactivated. It seems like when drafted you're in the incredibly unchanging and absorbing military for good! ARGH! </rave>
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
Re: The Military screen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>Double-posting because I'm ready to scream from this: why in FUN STUFF is it impossible to remove a dwarf from a squad? If you try to deactivate him the entire squad is deactivated. It seems like when drafted you're in the incredibly unchanging and absorbing military for good! ARGH! </rave></STRONG>

It's not impossible.  Highlight the dwarf.  Hit enter to do promotion.  Hit enter again to promote the dwarf to squad leader of his own squad.

I agree, the military screen is not great.  Especially with the bug that if you assign a dwarf to a squad that's listed further down in the list, the screen messes up which dwarf is squad leader on additional assignments.

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]