Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)  (Read 14212 times)

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

Don't forget the penguin's newest war machine. Of course, its basicly the equivalent of a SupCom experimental, but still.... >.>
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 05:30:44 pm »

Alright, after 18 hours of lazy work that could have been better spent on real work, the very first release of the Various Nonsense War Module is complete!  Mostly.

I'm damn tired, so I'm skipping out on flavor text presentation or much playtesting.  It's probably way too hard, or something, and there might be some graphics glitches, but I'm done for the day.

What you need to know - Hit this link for a .rar, unpack it to get a folder called Nonsense.  Put this in your War Engine directory.  Launch War Engine, select Play Game, then Play a Scenario.  Now this is important, set Player A to computer control, and change no other options (you are Player B in this scenario).  Confirm this, and you'll be given a prompt - open the Nonsense folder, and select ZombieWave.wdk.  Have fun.

Stuff about the scenario -

The last 33 brave souls (15 units) of the 869th Keronian Auxiliary Death Platoon are holed up in a bombed out fortress, sounded by scores of Armokian undead.  The fortress is a death trap, but it's well stocked with spare ammunition, and the undead are coming from every direction.  Reinforcements are en route - they will arrive on Turn 20, just in time to save any soldiers that might still be alive and mop up the zombies.  The game will automatically end on Turn 30 in a draw (I think) or when you kill all the zombies for a victory.

Units-
Keron Soldats - Basic troopers, armed with Stg44s and hand grenades.
Mortar Team - Can lob high explosives across the map.  They don't need line of sight to fire at a target, as long as any other unit can see the enemy in question.  Must be deployed (change stance) to use, and can't be fired after moving.  Don't fire it indoors.
Machinegunners - Fire team carrying a MG-42.  Must be deployed to fire, and must remain stationary to fire.
Rocketeers - Carry a devastating Panzerfaust.  Can be fired on the move, but they only carry a few shots, and the target must be hit square to do any damage.
Panzerklein - Tank-suit with a chaingun.  Kicks ass.
Panzerarbeiter - Lighter, slower tank-suit with a mortar and a bigger fist.
Keron Officer - Dashing, inspiring Keron leader with a sword and pistol.  Offsets losses and kicks ass at close range.

Zombies and Warriors - Slow, strong, resilient dead people.  Some have enough intelligence to carry weapons and armor.
Skeletons - Fast and flimsy, skeletons are probably more dangerous because they can close distance without being shot.  They carry either swords or bows.
Flame Wagon - Lumbering siege engine that spews fire at close range.
The Necromancer - Shows up eventually with a small army at his back.  Can fire a few deadly accurate magic missiles, and tear shit up with a sword.
Undead Bikers - Because Undead Horsemen weren't cool enough.  Powerful on the charge.

Tips-
By default, all Kerons use their sidearm unless told otherwise.  Because I didn't make any weapon graphics (definitely set for next update), make sure you have the right weapon selected before confirming fire.
Undead are very weak to explosions, and there's plenty of spare grenades and rockets around.  Don't be afraid to pick them up.
The interface can be shaky and unforgiving, so you might want practice with the stock Belleville campaign before tackling this.  It might still be unwinnable.  Or really easy, I have no idea.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »

Undead Bikers - Because Undead Horsemen weren't cool enough.  Powerful on the charge.

awesome quote.

downloading now, duno when i'll get around to plating it, but sounds cool. (yes i did get the program, no i haven't installed it yet.)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »

Gonna need to try this out after I finish up the battle in S3... And after reading the manual...

Yeah, I never even start a game up till I read the manual. I must be the only person in the world to do that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2009, 06:53:07 pm »

You can also use Host-A and Will Host for Food. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2009, 06:55:54 pm »

Keeps crashing during the space campaign, and messes up the Start bar. I'll see if your version is more suited to not crashing.
 Edit: Crashes with this mod, too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:54:15 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »

I've never had recurrent problems with particular campaigns, but if you didn't, make sure to install the patch.  It fixes a lot of stability issues.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2009, 09:29:30 pm »

So, how many units can be made in total? If we really do add lots of the fourm members will we have enough room?

Also, is it possible to add new units without adding to the .bmp? Like if say, someone needed to add a new unit for a scenario?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »

When you need me to make sprites, just PM me because I have other things I need to do now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »

Well, I don't need you to do anything.  It's just an open call for anyone wishing to contribute something.  As long as sprites fit the program requirements, I can probably find a use for anything.

Sniper: Each army can have a couple hundred units added to the map per turn.  I don't know if the game has a concrete total-units-in-existence limit, but I'm sure there's some internal restriction.  If nothing else, two units can't occupy the same space, so it's at least limited by the map size.

As for number of unit types or whatever, there is no limit.  The system tracks each unit's statistics individually.  Templates are just templates, not firm models, and every unit can be individually edited.  Theoretically, there's no limit to the number to "characters" (or whatever you want to call them) the game can represent, as long as they're limited to the same 100 weapons.

Adding graphics without changing the included bmps is not possible.  The program looks for specifically named files all included in the same folder.  The bmp can be any size, but it can only be one file - the graphics are not stored in the gamedata itself.  Adding units without adding graphics at all is completely doable, the unit will just have to use graphics that already exist.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:06:34 pm by Aqizzar »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »

Adding units without adding graphics at all is completely doable, the unit will just have to use graphics that already exist.

Oh, in that case we should have special unit GFX made for each side then. Like VIPs and stuff for assassination missions, or variations on other units for elites or something.

Edit: I'm gonna see later tonight If I can get any good Keron sounds from some episodes later.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:51:01 pm by Sniper Joe »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention the sound files.  Those are the standard sound effects included with the game - I left them in as a precaution against the game screwing up looking for files or something.  Maybe not necessary.  At any rate, yes, the sounds are completely inappropriate to the units as is, and can be easily changed if I get some small soundbites.  I think they have to be wav files, but I can convert them myself.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2009, 11:35:30 pm »

Oh, we need a level or five with a giant-ass VARIOUS NONSENSE BATTLE FORTRESS. You control the fortress and a small army, slowly fighting your way through the other Various Nonsense sub-sections. You could fight some sort of dice-beast in the RTD sections, and maybe some cameos from interesting people in important RTDs as generals or something.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:13 am »

Alright, I got some sounds for when they panic. But the other sounds are tricky... Given I only have Japanese voices to work with.

I MIGHT dip into hammer and Sickle for the officer sounds. As they are Nazi Keronians after all.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 01:30:20 am »

Yeah, I never even start a game up till I read the manual. I must be the only person in the world to do that.

I tend to do this, but only with store-bought games. If i dl'd it, i'm more likely to just crank it up and start tinkering.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8