Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Your most absurdly over-the-top yet "realistic"  (Read 4984 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Your most absurdly over-the-top yet "realistic"
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>Dwarves should have a negative thought when a friend of a friend dies.</STRONG>

Hmm, no, that is too over the top. A more realistic idea is that uranium haulers have negative throughts every time their stockpile decays to a less fissile isotope.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Awayfarer:
<STRONG>
Their: Indicates possession. "The goblins threw their axes at the dragon."
There: Indicates either a location or a state of being. "The dragon is over there." "Yes, there it is."
They're: A contraction of the words "they" and "are". As in, "They're going to fight the dragon."
</STRONG>

Profoundly touching on many levels. I like it.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 07:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>

Profoundly touching on many levels. I like it.</STRONG>

It's just something that's been driving me nuts for a while. I'm an undergrad English major and I've been doing a lot of workshopping this semester. My urge to edit has been very strong lately.
 :)

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

ACID SHARKS!</STRONG>

They'd just get eaten by skeletal war carp.  Which you know will be implemented eventually.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>

They'd just get eaten by skeletal war carp.  Which you know will be implemented eventually.</STRONG>

The non-organic evolutionary life simulation arc will not be implemented until after the mitochondrial arc is done, and that will follow the quark arc. On a related note, the Max Planck insitute has expressed interest in Dwarf Fortress because then they can test Scroedinger's hypothsis with kittens and bins.

You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman on 4/25/08 (first page):
<STRONG>epic run-on sentence</STRONG>

Seriously, that thing needs its own musical score.

Also, as far as the suggestions go,

quote:
Originally posted by celestial_okami:
<STRONG>How about making copper items develop a nice green patina over the years and change color?  Kind of pointless but kinda nice and realistic.</STRONG>

this gets my vote.

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Awayfarer:
<STRONG>Ladies(?) and gentlemen, nuclear power is just not realistic.

On the other hand, collosal stone golems created with stone blocks and mechanisms, and powered by several dozen pump operaters at special levers, is!    :p</STRONG>

Hear him, hear him!  Madcap mechanics!   Maniacal manufacturing!  They're what dwarves do BEST!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

I am just not imaginative enough for a insane yet realistic suggestion...

How about if a person in Adventure mode walks around in the wilderness long enough without any contact with civilisation he will start hear voices.

Soon you will swear you hear a animal speak but you will be unable to talk dirrectly... However after a while you will have no problems speaking to animals but they won't talk back...

Eventually animals will start talking about and asking you philosophical questions and how your day has been

Later, trees will speak to you and you can talk back... Then objects... Your sword says you havn't been taking very good care of him lately.

In fact images of Dwarves, Elves, Demons, Wolves, and Goblins will come to life and attack or speak to you. If you fight back you will hurt yourself on the ground and find that you were in fact fighting no one.

Soon you will be able to speak to things that arn't even there in any sense of the word being able to talk to the "Others" and spontanious other beings.

This will go on until you reach civilisation and your ordeal is finished with. However you weren't completely mad. If you were nice to your sword, it appears it has gone up one quality level... The Animals you spoke to if you made friends are still your friends... and those voices were in fact gods and otherworldly beings.

Perhaps if you speak to animals long enough during this stage of insanity, they will allow you into their fold and you can become an animal yourself... Either instantly retiring you as a magical legendary animal or opening up a new state of being. Maybe you don't turn into an animal, maybe only half-animal.

A long with this perhaps towns that are not really there. The Sword you got there could end up being a stick, however there is a small chance that it is actually a sword. When your sane again the town won't be there... but the sword will still me.

The voices in your head will sometimes ask you to do horrible things, and if you do... They may reveal themselves to be demons who will then give you boons for your service.

If you retire in a imaginary town while your insane another character can meet you in the wilderness in which your character will be chaotic and mad but every once in a while he does something so profound that it makes you question if he is truely mad. He will say that the "Symbol of Food in the temple is actually a door" and when you go there, it turns out he was right.

Also perhaps the voices in your head could fall inlove with you, and ask to be wed. If you do, soon you could have a child on your hands with exceptional powers. Then once you die a Demon or Whatever the good equivilant of a demon will be named (if there ever will be one... which I hope there is) after your character a year after his death on the dot.

If your character falls inlove with plants he can chose to become one, instantly retiring him. However the tree will not only have a name, but the wood is considered of great quality second only to Adamantium (as a single tree wields a single peice of wood). However the tree is much more useful to keep around as while it is there, plants will grow in much greater abundance making it a VERY useful tree to keep around for your fort.

Well that is all I am going to type... What do you think?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>
If your character falls inlove with plants he can chose to become one, instantly retiring him. However the tree will not only have a name, but the wood is considered of great quality second only to Adamantium (as a single tree wields a single peice of wood). However the tree is much more useful to keep around as while it is there, plants will grow in much greater abundance making it a VERY useful tree to keep around for your fort.

Well that is all I am going to type... What do you think?</STRONG>

I think we need hippie dwarves that acts as a counter-culture to tne conventional musical vs. No theatre spectrum of mainstream dwarf society. And I think I want some of what you've been smoking.

You are a pirate!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

Psh, Drugs? Who needs them... I got Insanity pumping through every vein in my body!

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

Well, oil would be fun. Dig in, refine, pump it to the surface, flaming moat.
Oil flooding the world would, of course, enrage the elves -> another use for flaming moat.
Oil is also used to produce tar, tar was historically used to preserve the severed heads of criminals etc. -> flaming moat with elf heads on pikes.

DF needs more fire. And skulls on pikes. I picture a goblin siege, the leader spots his predecessor's and pre-predecessor's skulls grinning down on him, notices an empty pike right next to them, loses his heart and runs. Strangely enough, the whole area is drenched in some dark, sticky, foul-smelling liquid. Wait, what's the dwarf up there doing with the torch?

edit: Oh, and Dwarven wine critics, of course! A 1052 Idzefon could be worth quite a bit!

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: Styrre ]

The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

Extremely badass dwarf traders who are insulted when you try to give them wimpy stuff made of wood or cloth or other hippie stuff.

Basically, just like elves with different dialogue.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

"Dwarven ale is chemotherapy. Dwarven ale kills cancer, among many other things."

Like livers!

P.S. I don't know how to do quotes. I apologise.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grantyman:
<STRONG>"Dwarven ale is chemotherapy. Dwarven ale kills cancer, among many other things."

Like livers!

P.S. I don't know how to do quotes. I apologise.</STRONG>

how's about clicking the quote simbols above each post? (its kinda hard to see.)

Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tp12:
<STRONG>

how's about clicking the quote simbols above each post? (its kinda hard to see.)</STRONG>

Hmm, I don't really understand what you're suggesting, it is a bit ambiguious. Are you proposing

(1) a dwarven postal service and written language system? This would be the natural extenstion of the dwarven names already in place. A dwarven language, with its own, assumably evolutionary, internally coherent system, and where dwarves write to each other, sometimes quoting each other. However, I'm not certain I approve of your suggestion of using out quotation marks as their citation glyphs.

(2) simply that we can send messages between players, or perhaps to individual dwarves, inside DF? I do like the notion of sending messages to dwarves, because it ties in well with the more-than-adviser-less-than-god gameplay model we have, and I would want them to write back to me, perhaps addressing them similar to "Santa Claus, The North Pole"... Yes, a natural-language commuication with out anthill dwarves, that's the way to go. If we implement a language-oriented neural net layer we could even start a new languge for every game where players and dwarves both must learn to communicate with each other. And there could be different languages beween races and even dialects within a larger language, so the inhabitants of FictLand must actuially learn to communicate with each other! Granted, much of this could actually be simulated at world generation time, but of a dwarf have't skill ranks in a particular language then he must learn. And not fully understanding each others' dialects would decrease social skills, of course.

I say, in all, in very few words you do birth some superlative ideas!

You are a pirate!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5