Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your most absurdly over-the-top yet "realistic"  (Read 4983 times)

Ralgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most absurdly over-the-top yet "realistic"
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lalandrathon:
<STRONG>Well if we have nuclear power, we need things to power. Like turbo pumps that shoot water or magma across the maps. Or dwarven rapid transit systems. Or goblin rapid crushing systems. Also, deathrays. And orbital lasers. And who can forgot good old fashioned explosives? Need to add some of those too. Like nuclear catapults. Let's see those gobbo bastards deal with that.</STRONG>

But first, we need tamable sharks in the oceans.  ;)

The dwarven equivalent of barbed wire:<BR>This is a finely-crafted Pig tail rope.  It is made from exceptional pig tail cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of green glass.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>

"the fading decease"</STRONG>

so your suggesting chemotherapy?

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

nuclear power aside.. we do need more things to do with power :P we can.. uh.. move water.. uh.. yeah.. oh and lava..

I want a tram damnit.. I wantconveyer belts.. I want an escelator.. that keeps going up so if a dwarf falls down it.. he falls forever! :P

The New Moo!

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

Don't forget grinding stuff.

Though it would be nice to grind some stones into pigments (cinnabar for instance).

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gerkinzola:
<STRONG>so your suggesting chemotherapy?</STRONG>

No. Dwarves are too tough to get cancer, and they treat radiation sickness with hair transplantation.

quote:
Originally posted by Neskiairti:
<STRONG>nuclear power aside.. we do need more things to do with power :P we can.. uh.. move water.. uh.. yeah.. oh and lava..

I want a tram damnit.. I wantconveyer belts.. I want an escelator.. that keeps going up so if a dwarf falls down it.. he falls forever! :P</STRONG>

Nuclear fission and fusion could power the space elevators conveying miners to the asteroids in which you've marked tunnels for excavation.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ralgor:
<STRONG>But first, we need tamable sharks in the oceans.   ;)</STRONG>

ACID SHARKS!

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

What about air pressure?

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

And after nuclear power, you might want to find a good way to spend all that good power. Because I'm sure you will never need enough pumps to waste it all.

An idea could be to link levers to floodgates and linking other levers to those levers, building this way a great processing unit (floodgat closed : 1, open : 0) of a few Hertz, able to calculate the point of arrival of this catapult-launched stone. Oh, wait, when the map is covered by a gigantic megacalculator, you know the ultimate task which will lead you to immortality : making DF running on it.

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

Perhaps some sort of simple elevator system, like a 3x3 channel shaft going down several z-levels and a bridge that is connected to 4 chains at the corners, you'd need a separate shaft for a counter-weight and the whole thing could be powered by orphaned children conscripted into a life of hard labour for murdering their own parents.

Naturally, the chains could randomly fail, based upon quality.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>The ability to suck the souls from your enemies and use them to power a superweapon that calls forth orbital lasers that were left there by an ancient, technologically advanced civilization as a defense mechanism against the end of the world that ironically ended their world and as such bring forth the end of your world in a bizzare spectacle of glorious divine rays of immaculate destruction scorching the lands and searing the seas bringing all dwarvenkind to its knees in but moments and forcing them to build giant underground vaults scattered across the lands where they keep their brightest and best in the hope that someday in the distant future when the land has resettled they make retake the outside world and live in a new post-apocalyptic utopia among the many mutants that now make their home there while fending off attacks from an unknown alien race that for some reason or another make their home in the sky in a huge rainbow-coloured spaceship the size of a continent where they create and occasionally send down giant monsters to cause trouble and it would fall upon a band of five intrepid heroes who dress in latex to use their giant robots designed in the likeness of the ancient five destroyers of the earth, carp, elephant, eagle, spider, and floodgate wherein if it is not enough they can further transform these robots into one super-robot called dwarftron who will the promptly kick the butt of the invading monster and save the day just before the elves who had fled to space during the initial conflict millennia ago return in their warships made of trees return with a vengence, their hippy-powers having grown tremendously during their exile in space and after the dust settles where they crashland their giant spacepods of maple onto the scarred, barren earth they promptly begin the retaking of the earth's surface from our intrepid dwarves by playing a boardgame comprised of multicoloured gems where the objective is to line up as many of the same coloured gems as possible to hurt the enemy.

</STRONG>

was pretty funny, but to me the punchline was:

quote:
[ April 25, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

also, I like the idea of implementing No theatre.

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

Am I the only one here who has visions of novice haulers piling up enough high quality bars of uranium in some random stockpile underneath your fort to exceed critical mass, blowing the whole place sky high and leaving no trace of your empire aside from a smouldering crater?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gerkinzola:
<STRONG>

so your suggesting chemotherapy?</STRONG>

Dwarven ale is chemotherapy. Dwarven ale kills cancer, among many other things.   :p

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

celestial_okami

• Bay Watcher
  • Strong and brave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

How about making copper items develop a nice green patina over the years and change color?  Kind of pointless but kinda nice and realistic.
DEEP CROW!  OH NOOOOO!  DEEP CROOOOOOW!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

Ladies(?) and gentlemen, nuclear power is just not realistic.

On the other hand, collosal stone golems created with stone blocks and mechanisms, and powered by several dozen pump operaters at special levers, is!   :p

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Dwarves should have a negative thought when a friend of a friend dies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5