Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colossus Corpses  (Read 1674 times)

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colossus Corpses
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

As cool as masterwork bronze statues are, I think it would be really, really cool if the corpses of these behomoths were artifact statues bearing the name of the actual colossus at the time of death.

Wouldn't that be frikkin' awesome?

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colossus Corpses
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

No complaints here...

The Bronze Statue is a wonder to behold afterall... If not as an artifact... ATLEAST as an item of interest (Be kinda cool if there was a list of "Items of Interest" which are items that receive names by being items of Legends)

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

One related thing that Ive never liked thats kind of on topic here is bronze colossus vs iron man corpses.

Both get you masterpiece statues made out of their respective metals, yet iron is twice as valuable as bronze and iron men are quite a lot easier to kill. I would quite like bronze colossuses to give something better. If not an artifact then possibly make it out of a "animated bronze" metal or something to make it more special.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Making it a named item would be awesome! Actually I really would like a mechanism to make certain items named after things were accomplished by them. It wouldn't improve the quality of the item, but I think it would be nice as adding history to the world. Especially with the next releases and world gen wars. Imagine being an adventurer seeking out a sword wielded by a legendary hero who had died in some goblin fortress. Right now that sword might just be -silver short sword-, or an iron short sword. But instead it could be Nekol Okab, the weapon of the Mighty Urist, Slayer of a thousand goblins! Wouldn't that be awesome?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Yes.  The detail is what makes DF so great.  That idea would add to the history.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

As far as iron men vs. collossi, it's a straightforward modification to the raws to make the quality of an iron man statue be less than masterpiece.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

We want the colossus reward to be better, not the iron man reward to be worse.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

I think Bronze Colossuses...eses...es? should drop artefact corpses that have the name of the colossus that died. It'd things so much more interesting (especially to explore).

Also, maybe items made using parts from other mega-beasts could gain automatic artefact level? For example, a dragon skull totem or a hydra skin cloak or something.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Collosi, isn't it?

At any rate, probably not artifact, but masterwork at least.
Or at least have a masterwork carving in it ie "On the item is a masterfully-designed image of Rith Kathanural, red dragon and Urist Uristurist, Dwarf.  Rith Kathanural is making a plaintive gesture.  Urist Uristurist is laughing. The image relates to the slaying of Rith Kathanural by Urist Uristurist in the mid-summer of 1053."

Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

Maybe there should something outside of Artifact.  Maybe something like ... "Legendary Items" or "Historical Items", or whatever.  That could include the statues from colossi, or the totem made from dragon skulls, or even "Historical Bolts" crafted from Song the Goblin King.  

Looking at the information could give the time of death, who delivered the final blow, and what year it died.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

This leads into the different quests that Toady wants to implement. Such as the much reviled search and bring me this item quest. Only now I can actually remember the dwarf that made said item! And the horrible sieged that quickly followed. And the collapse of my fortress due to the tantrums the quickly spiraled out of control... Oh dear god it wasn't worth it.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jaybud4:
<STRONG>Collosi, isn't it?

At any rate, probably not artifact, but masterwork at least.
Or at least have a masterwork carving in it ie "On the item is a masterfully-designed image of Rith Kathanural, red dragon and Urist Uristurist, Dwarf.  Rith Kathanural is making a plaintive gesture.  Urist Uristurist is laughing. The image relates to the slaying of Rith Kathanural by Urist Uristurist in the mid-summer of 1053."</STRONG>

Colossi.  I'm pretty sure it's that.

Also: Yes.  If not artifact quality, then masterwork, with masterwork decorations (maybe relating to adventurers he's killed?  that would make these guys pretty interesting) or of a very valuable metal (golden bronze?  bronze adamant?  colossus bronze?).  Gotta be better than iron, at least.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

I'm not sure about artifact items from other megabeasts, as they already have a massive material value multiplier of 50 on anything made from their skin/bones/skulls. Adding in a free artifact would simply be overkill for the most part (the skull totem would have a base value of 60K, or 120K if it comes with the customary free decoration).

Instead for megabeasts I would just like to see a weapons/armour multiplier implemented for their bones/leather so they are more useful than simply being used as trade goods.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

So... Why not just change the colossus to be made of a special kind of bronze that is more valuable. Call it sun-forged bronze. Make really fast but less resistant version of the bronze colossus, the silver colossus and make it drop a lunargent statue.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

Lunargent would be moon-forged, wouldn't it?  Anyways, that sounds good and would fit the bill for this suggestion, but I'm suggestion a minor change to the stock game, not proposing a modding project.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster
Pages: [1] 2