Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When gaming, what role are you most willing to fill?

Game Master Only
- 0 (0%)
Game Master or Player
- 16 (57.1%)
Player Only
- 12 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: Virtual Tabletop Gaming Club  (Read 21989 times)

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Club: DF Themed Campaign (Discussion)
« Reply #270 on: April 24, 2009, 03:37:11 am »

In case you didn't catch my meaning, knocking the stuffing out of strawmen and rambling pedantically about irrelevant nonsense in what is apparently an attempt to turn the D&D club into a debating club is no way to accomplish anything more productive than tearing your clothes off and jumping off a cliff repeatedly.

With that in mind, here's what the 'answers' look like:

a) You don't understand what you're talking about. b) Strawman. Also, don't thump the book. c) Already addressed. d) A particularly ironic and hypocritical use of the strawman.

1) You're clearly a newbie. The bad kind. 2) Do you even understand this game? 3) Strawman, strawman, strawman, strawman, strawman. Also gets a reiteration of 'newbie, please get your priorities straight'.

Feeling any better? If not, read my first paragraph again. We don't need to agree to play together, but there are two things we do need. The most obvious is to stop fighting. The more subtle one that you seem to have a harder time with is that we need to play the game. Not just during actual sessions, but in character creation and out-of-character discussions, too.

Stop being a rebel. Stop fighting everything and everybody. Stop competing in the metagame. Realize why the game exists, how it works, what our relationships with each other and the DM are supposed to be, and the meaning of the word 'collaboration'.

I'm tired of this. If you're still adamant about playing to win (and apparently oblivious to the concept of playing to create and experience a story), there's nothing more I can do to help you.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:46 am »

Right guys. Plan C.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 24, 2009, 06:36:20 am »

Hey there, I have no previous expierence (besides some Podcasts), but I would be intrested in taking part in one of these Games one of these Days.

So how does this go, you just meet in skype/vent/ts and use the mapping tool to play?

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »

In case you didn't catch my meaning, knocking the stuffing out of strawmen and rambling pedantically about irrelevant nonsense in what is apparently an attempt to turn the D&D club into a debating club is no way to accomplish anything more productive than tearing your clothes off and jumping off a cliff repeatedly.

With that in mind, here's what the 'answers' look like:

a) You don't understand what you're talking about. b) Strawman. Also, don't thump the book. c) Already addressed. d) A particularly ironic and hypocritical use of the strawman.

1) You're clearly a newbie. The bad kind. 2) Do you even understand this game? 3) Strawman, strawman, strawman, strawman, strawman. Also gets a reiteration of 'newbie, please get your priorities straight'.

Feeling any better? If not, read my first paragraph again. We don't need to agree to play together, but there are two things we do need. The most obvious is to stop fighting. The more subtle one that you seem to have a harder time with is that we need to play the game. Not just during actual sessions, but in character creation and out-of-character discussions, too.

Stop being a rebel. Stop fighting everything and everybody. Stop competing in the metagame. Realize why the game exists, how it works, what our relationships with each other and the DM are supposed to be, and the meaning of the word 'collaboration'.

I'm tired of this. If you're still adamant about playing to win (and apparently oblivious to the concept of playing to create and experience a story), there's nothing more I can do to help you.

Wow. I actually expected you to take a step back and try to address things that don't fit with your singular view of how you think things should work. And what do you  know, all you can do is bandy words at me and throw insults, rather than actually address anything I said. What in particular don't I understand that I was talking about? I guess I'm disappointed, but the door is always open if you want to open yourself up to points of view, instead of slandering them, thus allowing for an actual discussion to take place.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:29:57 pm by Shingo »

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2009, 12:57:17 pm »

Hey there, I have no previous expierence (besides some Podcasts), but I would be intrested in taking part in one of these Games one of these Days.

So how does this go, you just meet in skype/vent/ts and use the mapping tool to play?
We do not use skype/vent - it's been mentioned briefly before, but there wasn't enough interest to get that going. We do in fact use Maptool, the version we use is 1.3.b53 so unless we start using a different version of it, that's the one I suggest you take a look at. In terms of getting familiar with it, I'll volunteer to run an encounter at some point today, using mapquest, if we can get at least four people interested. I'll be on the IRC server pretty much all day, and try to run it as soon as enough people show up.

Edit: Apologizing for a double post. >_< Is is possible to delete one's posts on the Bay12 forums? I'm not seeing an option to do so.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:59:15 pm by Shingo »

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2009, 01:01:01 pm »

Wow.  My internet access goes out for two days and I come back to this.  Srsly guys, the causation fallacy is making me wonder if I'm the Zen god of peace or something.  :P

Actually seriously.  Just chill out and do any stupid discussions in private, please.  And if the other person (Navian in this case) is doing the mature thing by reducing the level of "conflict" you should take a hint and relax.  So props to you Navian.

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »

It never had to be a debate, and I regret that that’s what it became. Insults never had to be thrown out either. I don’t claim to be guiltless in this, but I also don’t think it’s fair to dump all of the guilt square in my lap. It’s unfair for you to promulgate your views to such a degree, that you insult me for having different ones, and act like I’m wrong for doing so. I should not have a fear of posting my views in a thread concerning a D&D game that I am participating in. I do not think it is right for any of us to dismiss or slander a view solely because it happens to be different from our own.

To me, Dungeons and Dragons is collaboration in the form of Role Playing and functional mechanics, between each of the people involved, the Dungeon Master of course serves as both referee and narrator – making him the final authority, and also providing a source of judgment that us players need to accept. I don’t think it’s possible for a real collaboration to take place when in the course of discussing differing viewpoints or concerns, instead of meaningful contribution to the discussion, insults occur. That results in shutting out varying viewpoints and leads to an experience which is cumulatively less fun for everyone, in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s fair for you to dismiss my concerns as a strawman, claim that I’m being pedantic, call me a newbie multiple times, asserting that I do not understand the game we’re attempting to play, and that what I have to say is irrelevant nonsense. We’re both adults here; I believe we’re better than that. In the future I hope that we can refrain from reverting to tendencies like that. I also contend that it is not fair to make those statements about someone in the same post that you tell them they need to stop fighting.

I urge you to respect viewpoints (in this case mine) that are different from your own, and be sure that that respect will be returned – I fully respect your desire to Role Play and I look forward to the positive things that it will add to our campaign, and I have faith it will only serve to enrich it.

I fully agree with the fact that we need to stop fighting. I also assert that we need to learn to respect each other and broaden our horizons and hopefully ultimately increase the enjoyment that all of us can derive from Dungeons and Dragons, by embracing views that are different from our own, and being better for it.

In closing, I’ll extend the olive branch of peace and hope that you do the same. I deeply apologize for the following, and will endeavor so as to never repeat them in the future: I apologize for thumping the book. I apologize for misinterpreting and rebuking your usage of the term Monty Haul – I should not have said what I did since I was ignorant of your actual meaning. I also apologize for some previous statements – particularly this one – it’s hardly fair for me to assert, as I did there – that my viewpoint is the only relevant one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:58:18 pm by Shingo »

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2009, 04:36:30 pm »

Hey Solifuge, are you planing to make it onto the iRC channel sometime in the near future?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2009, 06:20:53 am »

I guess I give it a try once you sort your flame war out :O

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

Yeah, as I mentioned in IRC, the next time I see players start this kind of flaming, be it in the thread or IRC or anything, they will forfeit their seat. If you'd like to discuss your opinion on the rules with me, do so via PM, but I'm not going to tolerate a flame-war here. </discussion>

Anyway, I think we've maxed out my campaign's number of seats, but Navian mentioned running an adventure or several, as did Shingo. If anyone wants to run a game, I'd be happy to put a campaign blurb up on the first post. We've obviously got enough interested players, so just contact me with the info.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »

Yo there. I'm definitely interested in some sort of rpg'ing over IRC. If the current game is full it's ok, I can join at a later time. Sorry if I haven't read thru all of the almost 20 pages of this thread, if I miss something important. I normally prefer other books than D&D but 4E has piqued my interest so I wouldn't mind playing that too.

I have an idea for running a campaign. I'm going to throw the idea out there, but I probably won't want to run it until I've become more accustomed to playing this way. Anyway, it's not D&D, it would be a contemporary setting, probably using Fudge-RPG. The idea is to have a "long-running" TV series, I believe there are some books out there that help with that concept but I don't have any of them. The series would be either a ripoff homage to hourl/half hour shows, that are episodic, with a central cast of characters, either live-action, cartoons, serious, comical. But either case, generally formulaic. Each session would always play a single episode, there would be some overarching arc, character growth, continuity, but the focus is in self-contained episodes. Though rarely, a "to be continued" could happen. Heck, if a group is interested, we could even have a rotating staff of directors (the GM) for each episode, like in real shows - these GMs may alternate player roles or just be dedicate GMs.

It's a concept that needs work, and of course agreement between GMs and Players to decide what the "show" is even going to be about. Mutated Samurai Gerbils? Aliens? Medieval winged heroes frozen in time? A crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit, promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade and today, still wanted by the government, survive as soldiers of fortune?

With enough interest this could work... I guess.

Anyway, back to our regular programming:

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2009, 01:36:19 am »

We haven't played in a while. Or did you guys just not PM me?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2009, 01:28:41 pm »

I have an idea for running a campaign. I'm going to throw the idea out there, but I probably won't want to run it until I've become more accustomed to playing this way. Anyway, it's not D&D, it would be a contemporary setting, probably using Fudge-RPG. The idea is to have a "long-running" TV series, I believe there are some books out there that help with that concept but I don't have any of them. The series would be either a ripoff homage to hourl/half hour shows, that are episodic, with a central cast of characters, either live-action, cartoons, serious, comical. But either case, generally formulaic. Each session would always play a single episode, there would be some overarching arc, character growth, continuity, but the focus is in self-contained episodes. Though rarely, a "to be continued" could happen. Heck, if a group is interested, we could even have a rotating staff of directors (the GM) for each episode, like in real shows - these GMs may alternate player roles or just be dedicate GMs.

This is a pretty excellent idea, though I'm not at all familiar with Fudge, so how suitable (or not) it'd be for this I don't know.

I've stopped in on IRC a couple times since my post and had enjoyable conversations with Shingo, Gau, and Cerej about the mechanics of 4E and things that would be fun to try, but where you guys are at game-wise is unclear to me.  I was looking forward to reading about the campaign on here, too - is it still on at some point?
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2009, 02:21:50 pm »

This is a pretty excellent idea, though I'm not at all familiar with Fudge, so how suitable (or not) it'd be for this I don't know.

Like other rules-light systems, there's not a lot of mechanics to learn in Fudge. Pretty much it consists of one method of rolling the dice and checking it against the value of a trait. (like what a "pure" D20 dice mechanic is, taking out all those spell, to-hit tables, damage-ratings, experience points, etc). Simply roll the dice, add the bonus, and see if it's enough to reach the "success" value. Nothing fancy.

It's also free to download.
http://www.fudgerpg.com/fudge.html

Of course, after that you pretty much house rule everything, and tack any other system you want. There's a sample combat/wound tracking system in the book... or just substitute with anything you want. Same for magic systems, there's about a dozen of those for Fudge.

The basic mechanic is just the attribute scale, the fancy 4dF dice roll, how to treat "opposing" rolls. And that there aren't any fixed skills or attributes. I myself haven't had much experience with pen & paper, only been in a few campaigns in RL, played in a forum based game, GM'ed a decent game of GURPs over Yahoo Groups (back then called... groups.com or something) which I didn't finish 'cause of lack of time. Maybe it would be nice to try a few generic one-shot games in Fudge to test it out.

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2009, 06:49:13 am »

Just a heads up- Solifuge never started running the 4E campaign. So for anyone wondering what's happening with that - well now you know. And G.I. Joe can tell us that, "And knowing is half the battle." The other half is lost as well, since I haven't heard a peep out of anybody who mentioned anything about fudge. Unless we find someone who will actually be DMing anytime in the foreseeable future, this endeavor is defunct. While I completely respect Solifuge's right to decide if and when he will DM, I am deeply disappointed that he never bothered informing anybody of it. I only found out that it wasn't going to happen after I sent multiple PMs, and waited a good amount of weeks for a reply.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25