Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When gaming, what role are you most willing to fill?

Game Master Only
- 0 (0%)
Game Master or Player
- 16 (57.1%)
Player Only
- 12 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: Virtual Tabletop Gaming Club  (Read 21990 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Club: DF Themed Campaign (Discussion)
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2009, 12:38:18 pm »

Fobos, my intention was for you to try and find a diplomatic solution, and fighting the Bullette was essentially a consequence for failure.  Even so, you're not "supposed" to do anything in the game. As a player, you have the freedom to take any path you'd like to solve the problems at hand, but ignoring obvious signs of danger can lead to unexpected difficulties. Also, unlike in a video game, you don't have a restraining order on monsters that are higher level than you are... they're still in the world doing there thing, and will still try to eat you if you piss them off. :P

Yanlin, sessions generally won't go for that long when I have adequate time to prepare. However, I did offer to Game Down after the 6-hour mark, and every player yourself included said that they wanted to continue.

In regards to the Campaign, I've got a better idea of what I need to have done in Maptool first. The interface allows you to integrate monster powers and skill checks as well, and if I can get a library of monster token defaults, I ought to be able to populate encounters in a minute or less, and wont have to look up rolls. I'm still aiming at 2 more weeks on this, but we'll see if it takes less time as well.

FoboslC

« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2009, 12:54:41 pm »

Solifuge. Preparations took 3 hours. Game took 10 hours. I had to sit thru 11 Pm to 12 PM. Do You really think I could take it all on...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »

Soli, I could keep going for a bit when game down was offered. So I did. But this session was just too long. Never again.

We gotta keep these sessions down a bit.

To Navian: Good work on roleplaying a stereotypically asshole elf.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »

...Thanks for the backhanded compliment? Haha. Anyway, most of the game session was wasted time. We should be able to cut back on that easy when Solifuge has more time to prepare. But it wasn't all just technical difficulties, things would go a lot easier if we save questions for breaks or after sessions and don't distract the DM with metagame jabber.

You really don't need to worry so much or push so hard with every action; just state your intent clearly, and roll the dice when prompted. The same goes for everyone When in doubt, it's best to err on the side of caution--it's not the DM's job to tailor the challenges perfectly for the characters, a little adaptability and character development can go a long way, and it's not that hard to survive your first few mistakes.

With that in mind, I'm looking forward to the next game!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2009, 04:12:06 pm »

Backhanded? Backhanded how? Elves are assholes. You did a good job. What's so backhanded?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2009, 01:09:56 pm »

I've completed a character I can be satisfied with, finally! High Elf Warlord. Yes, of course. Here's the character backgound:

Wealthy, Military, Prophecy

'A gift from the gods, paid for in full' to a wealthy merchant family, Icatha (as she is now known) has had quite a diverse life experience. Her travels with the caravan have taken her well throughout all civilized and non-hostile lands on the island from sandy beaches to towers of volcanic glass. Although somewhat appreciative of her father's firm hand in exposing her to life in general, she came to resent the lack of control, and soon the caravan guards were closer than family to her.

Noting her prodigal status among the sellswords and deriding her choice of mentors and companions, Icatha's father saw to it she recieved more formal and educated training among her own kind--for the most part glad to be rid of the young teenage girl--and she did not see an untrimmed tree for nearly a decade. By now firmly rejecting the life of a merchant or scholar, Icatha has climbed her way through the worst of the high elven social ladder with surprising agilty, and has been rewarded with some degree of autonomy as a servant of 'the glorious kingdom that is her true home'.

Icatha is ecstatic about the prospect of pursuing her destiny on her own terms at last, after twenty years, three thousand miles and countless crone-tutored bladethrusts of denial. But does the riddle of her origins bear any meaning to another aside her tight-lipped father? However mundane, the truth remains elusive.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2009, 07:56:54 pm »

I popped into you guys' IRC channel tonight and had some fun talking shop; I will probably be in and out of the channel on occasion.  At the moment I don't have the free time to get involved in a game, sadly, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Idiota

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2009, 08:23:50 pm »

Hey guys,

I got invited into this campaign thing by my friend Shingo. I'm kinde new to 4e, so I've got a bit of reading and deciding to do before I finish my character. All I know is that he'll be a dwarf fighter of the defensive type. I'll post more info later in the weekend.

Cheers,

Idiota

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2009, 07:16:11 am »

Did we have a game yesterday? I didn't receive any message. I assumed it was canceled and went to sleep.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »

Not really.  Gau did run a combat encounter pitting the party of Sir Squeeky the Clean and Lemony Scented against some kobolds and beetles.  But that was rather late at night and not serious at all.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19:48 pm »

Well Soli hasn't worked with me on my character like he said he wanted to. So that's a problem.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »

Well Soli hasn't worked with me on my character like he said he wanted to. So that's a problem.

Y'know, I'm becoming pretty handy at 4e now, and I'd be more than happy to give you a hand.

You said you wanted to play a rogue, right? Give me a minute to go grab my books out of the car (PHB I and II).

*EDIT*

Okay, got the books, and looked over the thread.

So what help with your character do you need? I see you've got a neutral good rogue, and apparently it's all rolled up, so are you looking for background concepts, or just trying to figure out paragon path and epic destiny?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:32:26 pm by rickvoid »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

Sorry to everyone if I've not been terribly present here lately, but I'm not actually at home right now. Been out for the last several days, and my internet time is limited to intermittant at best. I hopefully should have time to hop on IRC and to spend on the forum tomorrow evening at the latest.

Also, I was trying to work with players individually, not on rules concerns, but on story and unique background stuff... it's highly secret :P

I don't know if we have any more seats available in the campaign though, 8 players is high for a single campaign. I'd encourage anyone interested in GMing to look into it, since we have a lot of potential players.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2009, 08:40:00 pm »

I can run a 3rd edition game if anybody's looking for something different! Strongly DF-themed, with elf, dwarf, and human as the PC races and warrior, expert, and aristocrat as the PC classes. If interested, send a PM my way.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2009, 03:33:13 am »

I'd play, but I don't wanna bother to learn another edition just yet.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25