Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Brokensquare (Community Fortress)  (Read 5494 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Re: Brokensquare (Community Fortress)
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:12 pm »

Disregard the previous count of chairs we currently have in the Grande Hall.

Were at 32/116

So yeah, I suck at counting, so what?

I'm kind of tempted to tear down a few engraved walls to expand the place, but that could cause trouble with masterful engravings.

I don't think I'll do it, and just leave it at enough seats for the current fort. No more.

OR, I could take over the "Throne Area" and make that more tables...

But then I'd have to start making more masterpiece statues for the throne room...
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009, 05:38:23 pm »

You could simply mine out one or two walls and build a second Legendary dining room behind them.  I've defaced one or two Legendary engravings before without the dwarf who engraved them going berserk.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »

26th of Opal, Winter 305

The excitement is building in the air, everyone can sense the impending shadow of the aquaduct as it hovers in the air above the fortress entrance. It shoud be done by the end of winter, and then we can test to see if it works. Everything is done except for the final 20 feet, if all goes well the water should disperse perfectly causing no flooding, and adding a nice mist to the entrance.

-Mayor Ast "Dude" Erushmonang

1st of Granite, Spring 306

I was right indeed! Today is the first day of spring, and now all that remains is to take down a staircase, two temporary floor tiles, and throw the switch!

25th of Granite, Spring 306

The pumps were started and the aqueduct worked perfectly, the water dispersal system worked well too for a week until the water couldn't be dispersed as quickly as the water could be pumped. There was some minor flooding, but nothing that would threaten the fort. Just for safety sake, I have set our miners to make the dispersal system based more on quick transport of water, then the slow evaporation of it.
   More tests will continue to see if the system will work.

10th of Slate, Spring 306

It would appear that someone completely bugged out and took over a craftsdwarf workshop, and is now demanding silk cloth and tanned hides. Too bad we don't have any of those. Guess I'll tell the miltary to keep an eye on him, just incase...

27th of Slate, Spring 306

Well, they had bugged out, and now they're even more insane. They're just running around stripping and yelling like a lunatic. I'm tempted to just give the execution order myself.

3rd of Felsite, Spring 306

Amazing, after deciding that our two engravers were ready, I set them off to engrave the entirity of the Grand Hall. At first I was worried they weren't truly ready, but watching their progress, not only are they fast, but their work is amazing. It is truly epic in proportion, even if most of their engravings are of dwarves making this place.

8th of Felsite, Spring 306
   Work continues quickly in the Grand hall, but this is not about that. Today was a momentous day indeed, as a philosopher arrived from the mountainhome. I haven't met this man myself, but from what I have heard he is truly wise.

1st of Hematite, Summer 306

Freakin' Sweet! The grand hall is completely engraved, and with the completion of that project, the statues and tables are being installed. Next will come the chairs, and then our morale will be so great that we will never have to worry about that bitch named depression again!
   I can smell the succulent MinceMead Pie now...

12th of Hematite, Summer 306

Awesome! The human caravan has been spotted on the horizon, so a helping of new steel and iron weapons is sure to be ours within the season! I'm planning to sell a good chunk of all the chairs and tables we don't need from the grand hall, but I imagine they won't sell for that much, and weigh them down a lot. It's worth a try though, right? Getting rid of those is gonna be a bitch.

16th of Hematite, Summer 306

I happily welcome myself into this darling little office, and what be it that I lay my eyes upon, on this desk so glorious? Hark! It is indeed this journal, this history of this darling little town, in this darling region! I have taken it upon my self, as have my predecessors before me, to write the history in an unbiased fashion for all those who may wish to know it.
   I would love to write more, but those glorious humans are upstairs trading, and I do believe I shall oversee the process.

-Mayor Nessie, ♥

27th of Hematite, Summer 306

Well, that was just dandy! We finished trading all fine with the humans, and they took away almost all of our chairs and a good chunk of our useless statues! It's truly too sad that their wagons couldn't hold anymore, they were fit to bursting! In fact, I think we bought a few extra bars of lead and anvils so they would have more space. They're gonna stick around a bit longer, like the darlings they are, and see to it that we don't have anything more we want to buy from them.
   Well, I'm off to the shopping quarter to see if I can pick me up some of those nice clothes I just watched us buy, I'll be sure to write more later.

-Mayor Nessie, ♥

13th of Malachite, Summer 306

Oh deary me indeed... It would appear we have a little repeat performance involving a certain kind of beastie... A big red beastie with pretty scales... A big beastie that breathes scary fire!
   Oh dear, what are we going to do? There's a dragon out there! It didn't come from the same place as last time, and... It's right behind the fortress! It's over our living quarters as we speak!
   As a matter of fact, thats how we knew it was here, we heard the rumbling of it's steps as it walked over our heads, and now they want MY help to kill it! Don't they know that I'm not a fighter? I'm a writer!
   Oh deary me, that Dude guy seemed to know what to do, reading his section, I'll just copy it exactly, I hope no one gets angry with the plan, I mean... I dont WANT to plagiarise...

-Mayor Nessie, ♥

(Action ahoy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)

*Will post more after this dragon is dead, or my fortress is.*

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:31 pm »

3rd of Felsite, Spring 306

Amazing, after deciding that our two engravers were ready, I set them off to engrave the entirity of the Grand Hall. At first I was worried they weren't truly ready, but watching their progress, not only are they fast, but their work is amazing. It is truly epic in proportion, even if most of their engravings are of dwarves making this place.

So apparently, my dwarf is lazy, passive-resistive, and has a poignant sense of humor.
Just like me :D

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »

How do I post videos? I tried going to the Depot, but it says it's to big. Is there any other way?

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »

Quick pictoral update:

Here we can see Legus Lorken's tomb being made, the current plan has been changed though, so I'm fixing it... Wait till you see the finished product.

Edit: And a real update:

15th of Malachite, Summer 306

Well, ah... It's over! I wonder why they're so mad at me... I mean, sure two people died, but it wasn't THAT bad. Well, I guess I should just say three... That poor, poor Legus... Why must he have attempted to wrestle with that big fearsome beastie? I mean, he practically shoved his hand in its mouth. So many broken fingers... Ah... I do hope he lives, he has so many many friends. Ah, well, actually most of his friends are dead... And I guess the broken fingers aren't so bad... I mean, he won't miss the use of them, I mean... How can you miss your fingers when you're busy missing your shoulder, right? I guess he'll just have to learn to mine left handed... If his stomach ever heals... Yep, right after than meanie ripped his arm off, he just went and clawwed his stomach. The thing was practically entirely red... Completely mangled, yep!
   Other than him and the other two... unfortunates, no one else even suffered a scratch, and that fire why, it was everywhere! I wonder how it is that none of them even suffered a burn? It must have been my wondrous planning... Ah my planning...
   I did say I would try to give an unbiased telling, so here it goes...
   Well, apparently when reading what Mayor "Dude" did in this situation, I got it a bit wrong... and, well... sent the entire civilian population to fight the dragon head on while the military sat in the safe room. They weren't so happy about that little detail, but what's the bother? No one got hurt! Or atleast... not MANY people got hurt!

-Mayor Nessie, ♥

26th of Galena Malachite, Summer 306

Well, it's been a month, and by now most of the huffle over last month's problems is over. Well, Legus is still a bit mad at me... But he's alowed to be, It is almost my fault that he is missing an arm, and a few chunks from his stomach, but he'll live! In fact, full recovery is expeceted to be made within a year! Or was that 3? Well, then his stomach will be fine, his spine won't hurt, and his arm will be as good as new! I think...
   All these medical things should be left to the docter, I don't know anything about them! But as for things I DO know, a beautiful piece of jewelry was made in a craftsdwarf workshop the other day, its name has something to do with fountains, but it's a chain made out of turtle bone! I'd wear it around my neck, but It's a bit too big for me. Actually, I wonder why it is so long, it looks like it was made to restrain a dragon! Or something anyways...
   Oh, my! Back to Legus for a moment, I have sad sad news... It would appear that I decided to build him a tomb, for when... You know... He dies! It's going to be absolutely beautiful, and when he finally sees it, he'll love me forever. I mean, how could he be mad at me? I'm always thinking about him and how he's going to die soon.

-Mother Nessie, ♥ (Tee hee!)

That's the great battle and aftermath, which I recorded and will upload asap, and the artifact is spoiled below.
Sorry Lego Lord, but it looks like you're going to live.  (As soon as you've healed, Mother Nessie is going to have you recomended into the military since you're so tough. I think you'll be a wrestler.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:21:53 pm by Skelodwarf »

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »

I forget, do verbose descriptions tell us what the engravings relate to?(Been a while since I ordered dwarves around, and given the amount of work I've got right now, it'll be a while yet before I do again.)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »

Verbose? No. Verbose means "Verbally" or in this case written out, instead of pictures of movies.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »

Verbose, as opposed to "terse" mode from my Colossal Cave days.  I'm fairly sure there's an option in the init file that determines whether engraving descriptions are in the usual format(as above) or give you details about events and symbols in Fortress mode(which I always turn on).

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »

Ahhh...

I thought you were reffering to when I said "Verbose". Which I THINK I did... Somewhere...

Maybe not?

But still I use the word a lot. Which probably isn't good since I've been misusing it a bit.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:50 pm »

Ahh. I'm almost at another update, but they all take a while as I just play until I get something interesting to happen.

And saying that, It may be another year or three before something interesting happens, so keep waiting!

Also: What do I do with a drunken sailor?

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:12 pm »

Also: What do I do with a drunken sailor?
That depends.  What time is it?

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2009, 10:25:30 pm »

Why, I do believe it is Earlay in the Mornin'

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2009, 09:26:01 am »

Oh, excellent.  The Wikipedia provides an entire page dedicated to advice for dealing with drunken sailors early in the mornin'.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:29:43 am by Volfram »

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

My, I think I'm having more fun in this interlude than I am in the actual game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7