Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Brokensquare (Community Fortress)  (Read 5490 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Brokensquare (Community Fortress)
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:24:45 pm »

So this might be kind of maybe cheating, but after seeing how wonderful this spot is, and started digging in with no major problems, I decided I wanted to write the story of Brokensquare, as it progressed.

BROKENSQUARE

A Dwarf Story of Founding, Adventure, Mystery, and Romance!

First Entry
1st of Hematite Summer.

Well journal, here we are. I wont pretend that I'm a good writer, but here I am. I asked if anyone thought it would be a good idea to keep a journal of our expedition here, and they told me it was good, but by my bloody beard, I didn't know they would dump the job on me. I guess you might want to know who I am, eh journal? Actually, wait a bit, I don't really like the name journal, I mean sure, It fits you, but it seems so formal. How about Urist, will that work? Okay Urist, an introduction. My name is Skedrin Dwarbik, an odd name, I know, but it's mine and I'm happy with it. I was recruited for this expedition mid-way through winter, and we left the mountainhome shortly after. We arrived here at spring, and our taskmaster, that is our glorious expedition leader, set us to work. Our woodcutter went off to clearcut the forest outside of our dig spot, one of our farmers to head off and start gathering berries and such from the wooded area, and me and my bud, Legus, to start digging out the tunnels. The digging started out pretty easy, we were just going through some loamy sand, or maybe it was sandy loam, is there really a difference? Shortly after we hit some obsidian, and made a short hallway that cut through at the start of the obsidian. Our next job was to clear out some of the sandloam into two square rooms. Once we finished the farmers came in and started ripping up the rooms we just mined out. Now we have a nice farm going in there, growing plump helmets faster than we can eat them. I guess that's good.

Our next job was to dig downwards into the obsidian at three points and make stairwells. Underneath the first level, we were then told to make another cross, but in the opposite direction as the entrance, and to clear a good amount of rooms to make workshops. Atleast, thats what they look like when I pass by. I see our leader in one of them quite a bit, making barrels by the dozen. The rest of the rooms are empty.

That brings us up to today, Urist. Looking outside as I write this in the dim light, I can see that half of the surrounding forest is gone, and there are cut logs everywhere. Guess that's where the barrels are coming from. We also have a good stockpile of mushrooms and turtles. (The turtles were promised to me when I signed up for the trip, they taste delicious and have some rather pretty dwarfly shells.

Goodnight Urist.

END OF ENTRY

Ok people, sign up for spots, at the moment, we have (In no particular order):

StoneWorker: Guln Shoddrah (ShortDwarf) (Current Mayor, about to be quite sad.)
Lunatic: Skedrin Dwarbik (Me) (All around Legend (Almost))
Miner, of Legend(!): Legus Lorken (Legolord) (He digs quick machines)
Dead Axedwarf: Baltiel (Baltiel) (Dead)
Still Alive Hammerdwarf: Bastion Hagrav (Baltiel (#2)) (How long can he live, as his own murderer?!?)
Slowly Dieing, Suicidal, Past-Mayor: Fahrm Beehd (Org) (Is currently insane and dieing)
Craftsdwarf of No Current Significance: Helm Brast (Helmaroc) (She might do something someday(Only female craftsdwarves))
Engraver of No Current Significance: Ravm Argol (RAM) (Same story as above)
Wannabe Militia: Octavin Avole (scuba)

We have room for ANYTHING if you want to be ANYTHING.

You can give me a Dwarfy sounding name, or a name which I will make dwarfy.

If you want to be a different proffesion, gimme a name and proffesion, (Preffered gender MIGHT be possible) and you'll get it in order of requests as soon as possible. I'll keep you updated.

REMEMBER: DWARVES PROVIDED MAY BE SUBJECT TO ROMANCE ARCS, DEATH, TORTURE, HUMILIATION, BONDAGE (Can I mod it so that dwarves can be restrained?), AND OTHER PAINFUL EVENTS SUCH AS: WARTHOGS, A LION (JESUS! Get in the car!), AND... OH YEAH, SIX OR SEVEN ELEPHANTS.

Good day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:25:38 pm by Skelodwarf »
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Brokensquare (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:13 pm »

Farmer/Brewer

Farmbeard.
Male

This is how I name all my dwarves.   :)

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:55:48 pm »

Mason

Guln ^_^
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:22:01 pm »

Miner, male.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »

1st of Galena, Late Summer

Well Urist, I guess it's time to write in you again. I've been ordered to dig out some large rooms for storage or something, and another large room with indents in the wall every 5 feet. It's kind of an odd request, but I guess I'll see what it is when it's done. Also, I'm digging it out alone, Legus was ordered away to use some of the excess rock to make some swords out of it. Just between you and me, he's not good at it, they aren't very sharp, and they're kind of lopsided. I guess they'll do if we ever need to fend off some of the elephants. Did I tell you that there are elephants out there, Urist? They're huge. When we got here in our wagon, there were about five or six of them all huddled together, not doing much, but now there's like ten or fifteen! They're like rabbits I say! On the sunny side of things, it's a bit too sunny, all the little ponds dried up, and so now we have to walk a long ways to the brook if we wan't any water. I'm sad that Legus left me, we were having a competiton to see who was the better miner, but I'm kind of glad too, he was winning. Now I have time to get better though, so it's all ok!

15th of Galena, Late Summer

Another quick little note Urist, I've been pulled away from the banquet hall, (Thats what the large room is going to be, Urist, a place to eat and talk with my friend! I guess I'm gonna need to mingle with some more people after I finish the banquet halls...) and now I'm outside for longer amounts of time! I'm now the official wall-ramp-slope-remover-protection-creator. Having written that, it looks kinda funny, but that's what I am! It's my job to make the slopes outside of our fort into walls so we have a natural protection from thieves! Apparently one got near our food stockpiles before we scared it away. Our expedition is going so well, I won't be surprised if we are a famous capital city by the end of winter!

1st of Limestone, Early Autumn

Hello again my Urist! According to our leader's calander, it's now the dry season! I thought it was pretty hot and dry during summer, but apparently here, it gets even drier after summer. All the water is gone with the exception of the brook, and since that is such a long walk, we all just drink the booze. It's pretty tasty stuff.

11th of Limestone, Early Autumn

I've been using you a lot, haven't I Urist? Well, there are some traders here, so I figured I should tell you that. They aren't coming in though.

19th of Limestone, Earlty Autumn

Ever since we all started drinking that tasty booze, we started running out of it, and now there's none left! I was ordered to dig out some rooms near the farms as soon as possible, and as I went to do it, I noticed theres some sort of building being made in out main hall, it's pretty big so I wonder what it is.
After I finished the rooms, our dear Fahrm, thats what he said his name was, ran into the rooms and started building something, saying it was a still. I don't know what that is, but he said it was going to make more booze, so I tried to help, but he yelled at me and I went back to the banquet hall to help dig. I feel kinda stupid...
Oh, and Urist, I think I'm sick! I keep flashing green, and I don't know what that means!

18th of Sandstone, Mid Autumn

Well, today the traders left. We didn't get anything cool. Actually, we didn't get anything. It was kind of boring. I guess there isn't much more to say, good night Urist.

28th of Sandstone, Mid Autumn

I found out why all the booze is gone! Our stupid brewer is being lazy and not brewing anything, claiming that he needed barrels. He's probably just taking all of the booze for himself. So today I started making barrels just so he would have to give us booze. It's pretty slow walking all the way outside to get us booze though, but it's ok, because I can run pretty quickly now.

1st of Monstone, Early Winter

It's been a while Urist, hasn't it? Well, occording to Mrs. Leader, it's now winter! I can't wait for the snow Urist! Have you ever seen snow? I suppose you haven't you're just a journal afterall... But once it gets here, I'm going to make snowdwarves, and everything! That is, if I'm not still digging out this room... Mrs. Leader told me to start digging out the biggest room yet! It's right near the Trade Depot that appeared where the construction site was. I wonder how it got there...
Anyways Urist, I'll try to write in you again soon, I hope you aren't bored. Good night.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:43:40 pm »

-Another update-

1st of Granite, Early Spring

Well, Urist, winter is over, and there wasn't any snow! Not even a little! I'm too angry about it to write right now, maybe we can talk again later, ok Urist? You'll still be here, right? Don't leave me Urist.

22nd of Granite, Early Spring

I'm sorry I left you like that Urist, I promise I'll keep you up to date with everything that's happened in the past month, and everything that happens from now on! Lets see, well... It was spring, and it's still spring, and nothing new happened! Oh, but, oh! Oh! The elves are here! I've never seen an elf before, but Mrs Leader is ignoring them, walking past them as if they aren't there. I think we should trade with them, but Mrs. Leader yells at me if I go near the depot... I wonder why no one is taking stuff to the depot? It's kinda funny if you ask me...

2nd of Slate, Mid Spring

Well Urist, I have good news! Mrs. Leader finally traded with the Elves! I don't really know what happened, but now the Elves are all getting ready to leave, but they aren't packing any thing up. Maybe we bought all of it! Which doesn't really make sense either because we don't seem to have given them anything... Well, it doesn't matter, now we have a lot of wooden things and some strawberries! The elves look angry though, I hope they aren't sad.

22nd of Slate, Mid Spring

Hurrah, we should have a party Urist! There are a lot of nice new people here! There are some children too! They all came in a long line, and some of them even brought some nice animals. I talked to some of them, and they said they were all kinds of different things. I'd list them all, but there are far too many! I also heard Mrs. Leader talking about beds, and how we needed more of them! Maybe she'll let me make some if she's busy. I mean, after all, I DID get better at making those barrels, so maybe beds wouldn't be too hard either.

22nd of Malachite, Mid Summer

Wow Urist, I have some great new for you! Do you know where you are now? You're in my office! I've been doing such a good job writing down everything, that I'm now an official bookkeeper! That means I get to spend entire months sitting in this office writing down how much of everything we have! I'm sorry Urist, I have to write it in someone else, but I can still tell you how much we have as well! Don't worry Urist, I'm not going to forget about you, I just have a new friend! Don't be that way Urist, It's ok, I still love you... Ok, I'll talk to you later. Good night.

-Stay tuned until next time, and watch as a once sane dwarf descends into greater skill, and greater stupidity.-

Also: Coming this spring, pictures of the fortress as Skedrin learns to draw!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:57:34 pm by Skelodwarf »

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:58:49 am »

24th of Sandstone, Mid Autumn

The traders came and left. We got a lot of leather, sold a lot of weapons.
The main hall is crowded with all the work being done, but craft creation is still slow.

25th of Sandstone, Mid Autumn

More migrants arrived today, hopefully this will increase the aforementioned production. Urist, are you still angry at me?

1st of Moonstone, Early Winter

With the start of winter, people started smoothing out the banquet hall.

1st of Granite, Early Spring

Smoothing of the banquet hall finished quickly, I have been stationed outside cutting down trees. Urist, without talking to you, I have so much less to do, can you forgive me?

18th of Felsite, Late Spring

I'm glad you've finally forgiven me Urist, I was terribly lonely without you. I don't like the stock keeping book very much. He acts like he is so much smarter than me, but everything he knows was written by me, so I don't get it. Maybe it's because he remembers them better. Anyways, outside theres this wierd contraption being built. Maybe I'll draw a picture of it once it's done. It looks pretty nifty.

1st Malachite, Mid Summer

Urist, I really think Mrs. Leader needs to get her priorities straight, she's supposed to be trading with the humans who are here, and she's off building stuff in that tower. I still don't get it, but it appears to be sucking water out of the river and bringing it up the tower... Maybe when it's done and I show you the pictures, you'll be able to understand it. You're so much smarter than me Urist.

3rd of Galena, Late Summer

Urist, Urist, Urist! Today is happy day! Tower is finished now, and theres nothing wrong with it I hope! Well, maybe some is wrong with it. I watching building be building, and big CRASH, then dust every places. I coughed a lot. When no more dust, dwarves and blood! I guess okay, maybe what it does. Here a picture:

-End Of Entry-

(If things seem confusing as to why I keep changing Skedrins personality, don't worry, I explain it all later when I find a good time to explain it. (Such as a massive cave-in, hint hint) I'm also waiting for an opportune time to introduce other characters. So please, I have 60 59 66* dwarves, and only 5 names... Come on people, just say you want a character, you won't regret it!

Btw, the dwarf that died was a useless farmer. He was standing on the aqueduct when I decided to take it down so I could test my water drainage system.)

* 7 dwarf migrants came during the blood-dust-rocksplosion. Skedrin was too busy coughing to notice.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:02:33 am by Skelodwarf »

Baltiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:34:43 am »

Sure, I guess I'll join.

Name:  Baltiel
Preferably an axeman in the military.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:58:59 am »

Ok, It might take me a while to get you into the story, if you live that long... Sparring as an axedwarf is dangerous work. Hopefully the fact that you're Superdwarvenly tough and Extremely Agile will help. (Legendary woodcutter turned into axedwarf, this should be nice)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:18:06 pm »

(Back to the story, might get a bit confusing as to what happens here, I'll explain any questions asked in comments, not story, so don't worry.)

1 limestone summer

sorry not write much urist not much happening now mostly hanging around outside cutting down trees but goblins everywhere making hard i hope goblins go away soon till then i keep cutting trees

19 sandstone summer

lotsa water near tower made ground all muddy traders left too we not get anything they not get anything either now lots people moving rock to the tower i wonder why

26 sandstone summer

more people coming others chasing elephants they have big metal things like hammers and picks and other things that shoot sticks they was yelling something about round traps and tords are tords like swords

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘               (Cough, inkblot, cough)
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘
◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘

4th of Moonstone, Early Winter, 3rd Year.

As it would seem this was once a journal of the creation of Brokensquare, I have taken it to my office. I came across it after seeing poor Skedrin run out of his office covered in ink, screaming. Entering his room I found this journal, this "Urist" of his, with a large inkblot on a page covering his most recent writings. That was several months ago, today I start writing in it. I realize how useful a history of this city will be. I shall attempt to rewrite the starting posts at a later time when I have retired, but for now I shall continue from this date forth.
   As of late, many projects have been underway. The most obvious of which is the aqueduct that Skedrin noted. It is three stories tall, with automated pumps. When it is finished, it will be entirely automated and hopefully will be able to provide fresh water inside the fort so that if, Armok-forbid, we are ever under siege, we will still be able to provide our sick with fresh water for cleaning wounds. I deeply mourn the loss of one dwarf, and the several injuries from the collapse of the unfinished aqueduct. When telling them to take apart the flooring of the pipe, I didn't mean for them to collapse it, and much less with someone on it. I'm happy to say that with the exception of a fairly mangled hand, the other injuries have healed well, and only one other is still bedded.
   My other main project at the time is to create a large force of tamed and trained animals for use in battle. Picture it; a force of 12 goblins runs up to our main defence, the first 7 are picked off easily by the stonefall's, and another 2 fall to the weapon traps. 3 goblins have made it inside, a swordmaster and two archers. A pull of a lever and the cages near them open, letting loose a snarling lion, trumpeting elephants and enraged warthogs. They wouldn't stand a chance, and our main force wouldn't need to do anything.
   As it goes, we currently have a Lion we "traded for" with the elves, and no success on rounding up elephants into our traps. It would seem the best way to do this is to send out the military to chase the elephants and fire at them leading them towards the traps, but the military gets carried away too much and ends up killing a few, and capturing none. The blundering fools.
   I shall write more at a later time, but my hands are needed in the brewery. The bleeding fool Skedrin noted the fact that we had only 1 barrel of ale left, but didn't tell anyone.

I shall enclose pictures of our city at a later date aswell, but I need to find a good artist, Armok only knows what Skedrin would do if he found out I had taken his book. Maybe I shall enlist the help of our past mayor, he is a fine architect, and maybe a fine artist.

-Mayor Fahrm Beehd.

(This mayor will be a bit more unbiased as to what happens, so you may see some name mentions. I promise the following mayor (I think he takes over in spring (Dang, that was some poor planning) ) will be more gossipy, and thus, romance arcs!)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »

I'll join.
Name: Helm
Preferably a craftsdwarf of some kind.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 06:08:49 pm »

(Another quick update with some names!)

12th of Moonstone, Early Winter, 3rd Year.

Note: I have decided that we need another war hammer for use. The has been mandated immediately.

9th of Opal, Mid Winter, 3rd Year.

Today witnessed the creation of an artifact of legend. Our own StoneWorker suddenly pulled himself from smoothing the halls of the sleeping rooms, and ran to a Craftsdwarf Workshop, where he instantly started constructing Beachcrowds, An Obsidian Toy Boat.
   One might scoff at the idea of a legendary toy boat, but this boat is beautiful. On it is engraved an image of a dwarf, who is of no significant value to me, who must be important. I shall research him as soon as possible.
   A second testing of the aqueduct proved successful, quickly pushing buckets of water out and into the pipe, spreading past the point where the walls ended, giving me ideas as to how this might work. When my term is over, I shall be sure to pass them on. Unfortunately, there was a leak in the wall directly next to the pump, so a lot of the water was lost off the side of the tower, which is good news as it means there will be even more pressure when the aqueduct is perfected.

-Mayor Fahrm Beehd.

7th of Granite, Early Spring, 4th Year.

Today ends another attempt at rounding up more recruits for our animal based militia. We captured a grand total of one elephant. We hoped to get one of the Lions we saw up there to go with our other, but it left. It was another female anyways.
   Our past mayor, and leader of the entire expedition, has agreed to sketch the layout of the fortress for the log. Her drawings will be after this entry.
   Construction continues on the Aqueduct, hopefully we won't need it for another year, as that's how long it will probably take to finish.

-Mayor Fahrm Beehd.

15th of Granite, Early Spring, 4th Year.

By Armok's Own Bloody Beard! The elves have decided to show up with their goods, and along with them, an ambush of 15 or so goblins! I can't write now, but I shall write more once this is all taken care of.

-Mayor Fahrm Beehd.

(Ok, so only one name still, but it shows up a lot! I promise there will be a few names in the next one, as it's a fight scene. Also, as to the "drawings" they were interrupted by the ambush.)

Note: I'm afraid that construction for the Mayor's tomb has begun... He became possessed and we don't have the type of cloth he wants.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:15:58 pm by Skelodwarf »

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »

hmmmmmmmmm i'll take farmer. after u get a few more farmers can u train him to be a wrestler then swordsdawrf? if not i'll stay a farmer. and the name will be......
i guess octavio

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »

Scuba, I have enough farmers right now to just make one a wrestler, is that what you want? Or do you want him to have a history of farming under your name?

Also, Baltiel has suffocated due to having his breath taken by a beautiful statue.

Yeah, I have no idea. He was fine and dandy, next thing you know, he suffocated, and I found his body by a statue.

Maybe he had a crushed lung for the past few months, but didn't care?

Edit: After posting that, I did a bit more research into the announcements and found that Tekkud (A random Hammerdwarf) gained some experience, and found he was in the sparring room surrounded by a few blood patches. Looking at his thoughts, he was Ecstatic...

... He had had a wonderful sparring session.

Baltiel's LAST THOUGHT before death's embrace was a satisfying sparring session, and then being rescued, implying he was injured in a good spar, and then rescued...

What does this mean? MURDER. And that I'm a pretty spiffy Dwarf Detective.

Baltiel, you're being reincarnated as a Hammerdwarf named Bastion, ok?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:27:01 pm by Skelodwarf »

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

by our own stoneworker, would that happen to be Guln? O.o
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7